Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#22183 - 02/04/15 07:23 PM beslisle coni bears???
FURTAKER Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Franklin County Virginia Snow ...
Does anybody on here use beslisle coni bears and if so do they like them. I'm thinking about buying a couple dozen 220s and a couple dozen 330s this summer for next season but if I bought 2 dozen 330s that'd be $600 but I do believe quality equipment pays for itself just wanted to see if anybody used em thanks guys.

#22188 - 02/05/15 10:58 AM Re: beslisle coni bears??? [Re: FURTAKER]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
They are good traps. They are very strong and the safeties are well made so they do not slide off. The jaws can bend a little if you snap them on sticks and stuf., It isn't a problem as they close extremely tight to start off with.

The present low value of the Canadian dollar should make buying them less painful. Buy a good pair of setters and a safety gripper or two at the same time.

#22189 - 02/05/15 04:34 PM Re: beslisle coni bears??? [Re: FURTAKER]
FURTAKER Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Franklin County Virginia Snow ...
I don't mind paying for something that will improve my catch and quality pays for itself over the long run. Thanks for the input I saw Clint locklear and Newt used them on there rivern movie and they caught beaver by the tail and a cat crossing a beaver damn that's a tight closing trap. I'll be using the 220s for coon on trails and set a few on log crossings and beaver dams and the 330s will be used for beaver and otter under water. Thanks Musher

#22219 - 02/11/15 01:29 AM Re: beslisle coni bears??? [Re: musher]
trapnjon Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: musher
They are good traps. They are very strong and the safeties are well made so they do not slide off.

x2....it only hurts once to buy good gear.

#22223 - 02/11/15 05:51 AM Re: beslisle coni bears??? [Re: FURTAKER]
Gary B Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Southern Illinois
I have one and it is a great trap. The reason I don't have more than one is the price. I can't justify the cost. I can buy 3 traps for the price of two. I have heard of several guys getting tail and even foot catches in them.

#22230 - 02/12/15 04:50 PM Re: beslisle coni bears??? [Re: FURTAKER]
Quebecois Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Quebec, Canada
They are great traps. The most powerful I have ever seen. I have taken fisher in a 120 Belsile on the ground and it didn’t stand a chance. I have seen (on Youtube) a wolverine caught in one 120 (set for martin) just by one toe and it stayed. If you can justify paying for the trap, in my opinion, it is the best body gripping trap around. I run a very small line and it is the only trap I by. They also have the best and most positive safeties around. Cheers.

Edited by Quebecois (02/12/15 04:53 PM)

#22231 - 02/12/15 09:43 PM Re: beslisle coni bears??? [Re: Quebecois]
Wis Trapper Offline

Loc: South West Wisconsin
While I have zero experience with the 220 or 330 Belisle, I have lots with the 160. Very well made, very strong springs, excellent safety catches.

I do have a gripe with the dogs in freezing rain. The dogs are about 1/2" wide where they hinge on the jaw. With freezing rain they will freeze shut and make it much more difficult to fire. It also paid off for me to do the Dobbins modification to the dog as well. Even with that said I wouldn't buy any other body grip.

#22239 - 02/13/15 01:03 PM Re: beslisle coni bears??? [Re: Wis Trapper]
Quebecois Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By: Wis Trapper

I do have a gripe with the dogs in freezing rain. The dogs are about 1/2" wide where they hinge on the jaw. With freezing rain they will freeze shut and make it much more difficult to fire. It also paid off for me to do the Dobbins modification to the dog as well. Even with that said I wouldn't buy any other body grip.

Good point, the dog was made that way to not damage the fur if it makes contact with it. For me, in a bucket, it does not represent a big problem as the dog is well protected from the elements.
For the bigger traps, 220 and 330 are scary. I had an accidental catch of a huge Malamute dog (about 120 pounds) in a 220 and there was barely any trace of it fighting the trap. It was a sad day on the line.

#22246 - 02/14/15 11:49 AM Re: beslisle coni bears??? [Re: FURTAKER]
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
Just wondering has Beslisle and conibear trap company's merged together?

#22248 - 02/15/15 02:38 AM Re: beslisle coni bears??? [Re: FURTAKER]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.