Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#22254 - 02/15/15 09:00 AM Beaver in rice field
USMC47 Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: South Carolina
In a rice field, there are dams which separate salt from fresh water. The water level in the fresh water remains somewhat constant. There is no need for a beaver to build a dam. There are young pine trees along the banks which are chewed down and stripped. There are a few castor mounds but not much for a bank den that I've found yet. I've eradicated the beavers on most of this plantation and this is my last area. Of course, I can blind set the castor mounds and the water is deep enough to drown, but I'm in a new one here.

There aren't clear areas of travel or living. Has anyone experienced any beavers like this? I typically refuse to use lure at a beaver job until I have to but the only option I see this far are the existing castor mounds. Maybe a slight concentration of feed sticks here or there but the sticks are so widespread that it looks like young beavers rummaging around.

#22255 - 02/15/15 09:04 AM Re: Beaver in rice field [Re: USMC47]
USMC47 Offline
Initiate Member

I don't know if the below link will work but, if it does, it will show my location. South of the pin there is a dike. That is salt water south of the dike.

Dropped Pin

http://goo.gl/maps/Akvn8

#22256 - 02/16/15 07:42 AM Re: Beaver in rice field [Re: USMC47]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Time to break out that lure.

Hal

#22258 - 02/17/15 06:45 AM Re: Beaver in rice field [Re: USMC47]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I've been looking at your area on GoobleEarth. Search "Gardens Corner", SC. 29945. Use your tape measure, scroll off 3.7 miles to the East, at a heading of 82.5*. That should put you on top of the dike, with the farm lane going across the dike.

You don't have much "high ground" in that area. I'm curious, what's that little, light-green colored field, above the lane, and west of True Blue Creek. It's been planted.

#22260 - 02/18/15 10:38 AM Re: Beaver in rice field [Re: USMC47]
USMC47 Offline
Initiate Member

Redsnow, that's just a field planted for deer. Various crops are put there on an annual basis. I'm familiar with the area, I trap the plantation often.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.