It's always good to know as much as you can about critters.

My nephew Eric, called me on Feburary 27,2015, told me that he'd just skinned a female red fox. (His neighbor snared it, Eric skins for him.) Eric asked me how many pups I thought would be inside of her. I just guessed, told him probably 6 or 8. She had eleven.

Eric said the unborn pups were 6" long from their butt, to the tip of their nose. 10 were pretty much identical, and one just a little bit smaller. Covered with dark hair.

Eric has lived on a farm all of his life, around livestock, raised dogs, etc. He's pretty sharp on this stuff, in his opinion, those pups would have been born in a day or 2.

I didn't see the pelt, but Eric said that it was still furred fairly good, kind of "springy, rubbed". Maybe worth half of a good red. ???

Years ago, WV's fox season ended January 31st.

It seems our fox population is trying to make a come back, but in a way, it's a shame to trap an animal that's pregnant, that far along. Especially when the pelt isn't worth squat.

It's nice to be able to dirt trap/snare until the end of Feburary, in a way. But if we seriously expect our fox numbers to come back, it would probably be best to slack off on them a little bit.

Not sure? What kind of policy do you guys have? Suggestions?

Just about impossible to "manage" a fox population, it might be here today, and in the next county tomorrow. What do you guys think?