Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#22333 - 03/27/15 07:58 AM Satelite Photos
Jim S. Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: NW Penn.
Any of you trappers who are computer litterit, know where to find satelite photos for trapline setup?

I have tried Google Earth, but the photos all show areas that are covered with foilage. Can't see the ground.

Thanks Guys.

#22334 - 03/27/15 08:23 AM Re: Satelite Photos [Re: Jim S.]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Satellite images are just photographs. You can't take a photograph "through" something. (That's an X-ray). If the ground you intend to trap is covered with brush or trees, then that's what you'll get a picture of. The only place you'll see "ground" so to speak, is in an open field. Those satellite images help you find general locations and features of the land. Actually they can be pretty detailed. I have pinpointed some large beaver dams than way. But as for seeing the ground or specific set locations, that will take leg work.

Hal

#22337 - 03/28/15 10:18 PM Re: Satelite Photos [Re: Jim S.]
RoadDawg Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Get a USGS map of the area you want to trap. Those maps show features of the land and gives great info.

#22338 - 03/29/15 07:57 AM Re: Satelite Photos [Re: Jim S.]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
If you're using GoogleEarth, one thing that will help, keep an eye on the elevation. As you scroll along, it'll change, you can follow ridges, hollows.

I noticed a month or so ago, they've updated the pictures of this area. There was a building here in town demolished within the last year, it's gone on their pictures now.

The more time you spend on GoogleEarth, the more things you'll find.

I can look at my areas, even in the timber, I can pick out little 2-track roads. It might just be a shadow of the trees, or a bare spot here and there. But looking at farms and pasture fields, it's very handy.

#22349 - 04/09/15 11:34 AM Re: Satelite Photos [Re: redsnow]
Jim S. Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: NW Penn.
Thanks Guys. I was on a site, once upon a time, don't know where, that showed the timber without leaves. It had to be a early spring photo, and I was looking for a similar photo.

Thanks for the help.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.