Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#22353 - 04/11/15 01:47 PM gas bucket
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
I picked up some traps that are boogered up with speed dip, dirt/rust, etc. I'd like to soak them in gasoline for a couple of days then hose them off. Will a typical plastic five gallon pail work, or should I be worried about the gas eating through the pail?

Thanks, Frank.

#22356 - 04/11/15 02:56 PM Re: gas bucket [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I have trap dip, thinned with lantern fuel (almost gasoline), that I have stored in a plastic bucket for 20 years.

However, I'll bet "hosing" is not going to get the dip off. My experience has been that you have to physically disrupt the dip. I used a paint brush to do that. It is a pain in the butt.

Hal

#22357 - 04/11/15 03:10 PM Re: gas bucket [Re: FLSH ETR]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
How about following up the hose down with a hard boil with dish washer detergent? Would that have any merit? Or is the 'butt pain' method my only option?

Frank.

#22359 - 04/11/15 07:28 PM Re: gas bucket [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
That stuff just does not want to come off easily. Boiling won't help. -- Hal

#22362 - 04/12/15 12:03 PM Re: gas bucket [Re: FLSH ETR]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
For extra heavy duty cleaning. I have used a cement mixer on several occasions. Either remove the chains or wrap around the traps and secure with wire. Throw in a couple shovels of gravel and tumble for about 20 minuets. Check repeat if necessary. You can give them a final wash in gasoline to remove any residue. If your really going to do a thorough job remember to pop the springs off of coil spring traps and clean inside the coils. A soak in gasoline and an old bore brush work well(messy)for this.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.