Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Photo

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#22567 - 06/11/15 08:54 AM Re: bear [Re: redsnow]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
Originally Posted By: redsnow
Nice bright V. Is that the trap that you couldn't find? Just thinking about it now, it wouldn't be a bad idea to tie a piece of surveyors tape to the trap. Sure would make the trap easier to find.

Nope. It is another. I have orange duct tape on the trap. Flagging doesn't last with a bear.

#22569 - 06/11/15 02:20 PM Re: bear [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I don't have a lot of experience with these cable traps, but as far as I could tell, I never did see a trap that was chewed. Most of the damage to the trap was just from jerking it out of the ground, getting tangled in the snare cable, or wrapped around a tree. As mentioned above, the trap was just kicked/flipped out of the trap circle, or buried inside the trap circle. Not sure if a bear would mess with a piece of flagging or not?

Even if you only had a half-inch sticking up out of the dirt, it'd be easier to find. I've got a spool of orange chalk line, if you'd keep it short, that would hang tight. Probably, just laying on the ground, in plain sight.

But I wanted to say this, it's been around 25 years ago, but I've watched bears in a cable snare, 10 feet away, you could toss them a chocolate bar, and they'd peel it and eat it. Very nimble little toes, and paws! As a rule, most were shy and timid. But, it's still a bear, and deserves common sense.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.