Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Photo

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#22541 - 06/05/15 08:05 PM bear
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Caught this yesterday.

I used an aldridge.

Edited by musher (06/05/15 08:07 PM)

#22542 - 06/05/15 08:54 PM Re: bear [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Very good. Nice sized bear too!

#22543 - 06/06/15 06:17 AM Re: bear [Re: musher]
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
Nice! Did you haul it home in the hated side by side? laugh

#22544 - 06/06/15 07:07 AM Re: bear [Re: ron finewood]
musher Online   content

Originally Posted By: ron finewood
Nice! Did you haul it home in the hated side by side? laugh

Nope! This is from another location. The SxS bear is still in the woods.

#22545 - 06/06/15 08:23 AM Re: bear [Re: musher]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
If you get some time, could you show us the foot snare set itself? There's talk of Wisconsin allowing some sort of foot snare tool for bear. Also, what caliber is your dispatch weapon?

Thanks, Frank.

#22546 - 06/06/15 02:30 PM Re: bear [Re: musher]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Can you sell the gall? -- Hal

#22547 - 06/06/15 07:10 PM Re: bear [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

We haven't been able to sell gall bladders for quite a while now. The sale of them made bear trapping profitable. But the actions of idiots made them illegal. I believe that Asian countries now farm bears for their galls.

I've used everything from a .12 with slugs to a 30-06 to dispatch bears. The one in the photo was killed with a .22 mag. It is a very efficient caliber. A .22 can be hit or miss if location on the skull is off.

I'll try to get photos of the traps. There are several models to choose from. I lost one aldridge this year. I had a bear and now I can't find it. Sometimes a bear will toss it a long ways or bury it in the catch circle. I searched with a rake and a metal detector to no avail. It has orange tape on it ....

I've checked a few places to buy another but I haven't found any yet. Most people are using M-15's in buckets. There are also the Belisle foot snares and a few others. Some guys use 280's and 330's. I'm tried with little success. And if you miss, the bear doesn't come back! There is even a trigger attachment that you can buy that converts a 330 into a foot snare trap. I have not tried it.

#22548 - 06/07/15 05:59 AM Re: bear [Re: musher]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
How are they using large body grip traps?. Doesn't your equipment need to be approved species by species?

#22549 - 06/07/15 10:56 AM Re: bear [Re: Ric]
musher Online   content

Originally Posted By: Ric
How are they using large body grip traps?. Doesn't your equipment need to be approved species by species?

The law says that you must use a tool designed to catch the animal with a snare by the foot.It also says that steel jawed traps and neck snares (spring season only) are illegal. Neck snares are permitted in the fall.

A larger body grip is set so that lies flat on the ground. A snare is loosely tied to the upper jaw. When the animal sets off the trap, the snare closes on the foot as the trap is shaken off by the bear.

The SzS bear got shot at, and missed, by a cottager. It might be a few days before it comes back - or it might not come back.

Edited by musher (06/07/15 10:58 AM)

#22550 - 06/07/15 12:13 PM Re: bear [Re: musher]
ron finewood Offline

Do you cable the snare to a good sized, healthy tree? I know nothing about bear snares, but I am guessing that your average bear can pull any stake that has ever been invented. And, how long is the fastening device? I am sure you don't want to find a bear in your snare, running around on 10' of lead. And--- when caught, are they usually docile or are they ready to eat you ?

Ron

#22551 - 06/07/15 03:57 PM Re: bear [Re: ron finewood]
musher Online   content

Originally Posted By: ron finewood
Do you cable the snare to a good sized, healthy tree? I know nothing about bear snares, but I am guessing that your average bear can pull any stake that has ever been invented. And, how long is the fastening device? I am sure you don't want to find a bear in your snare, running around on 10' of lead. And--- when caught, are they usually docile or are they ready to eat you ?

Ron

I tie solid to a tree. I've already tied to tree drags but it got a little too exciting for my taste, Some snares might have close to 10 feet of cable but things usually wrap up pretty tight. Five or six feet might be an average. The shorter the better.

Some bears hide and others pop their teeth and lunge at you.

I'm just back from checking out the SxS bear site, I modified a few things and with a little luck I'll connect tonight. I saw a video of the bear. It has good size. The lads cut a trail to the trap so the SxS can go down! They may have a little too much faith n my trapping ability. If I get that bear, it is one tolerant animal. Shot at at 8:00 p.m. yesterday. Back at the baits at midnight. Guys using chainsaws around the baits today .....

It didn't step on the aldridge in a blind set and the m-15 was set off. Was it disturbed by the bear? No idea. It has been carrying buckets away in the bush. But I had a hassle with the trigger on the m-15 when I set it. I changed the trigger and location by about 5 feet today. I also added sweets to the bucket. This bear is not touching meat supposedly. I hope they are right because there must be about 50 pounds of meat at the site and a half dozen cupcakes in the m-15 bucket.

#22552 - 06/07/15 05:40 PM Re: bear [Re: musher]
ron finewood Offline

I wish you luck! Do you eat bear meat? I never have. Is it similar to pork?

Ron

#22555 - 06/09/15 01:18 PM Re: bear [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Here's a "cable foot snare" contraption that I made, 30 years ago. Or so?

It's built similar to an Aldridge. Just with coil springs.

If you look at about the 2" mark on the tape measure, that's just a little hook, to hold the back end of the snare. Forget what size springs I used, 2's or 3's, it's got plenty of spunk to snug up a cable. Kind of made this one for bobcat sized animals, that was back before I had good snare locks and snare cable.

Never actually used it in the field, but it'll work!

Give me an hour in the shop, with a 330 spring, and a couple little rods, I could build a trap.

Musher, not sure of your location in the bush, your lost trap might be hanging the brush. A man looking at the ground, you'd never see it.

Fixed up right, bear meat is very good.

#22556 - 06/09/15 03:33 PM Re: bear [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

Well the big 'un ain't gonna happen.

As luck would have it, a small sow got caught. It has a very nice pelt with a good white "V" on its chest.

The big one has not returned according to the stealth cams. I guess the neighbourhood was a little too noisy. Or it is gone looking for love. Boars are rutting now.

This sow isn't on any cam photos. It might have been a first timer.

That is the last of my 4 I'm permitted on that line. I could legally catch another 16 if I want to put the miles and effort in.That sounds like a lot but 16 of the 20 have to come from specific lines that cover 300 sq. km.. The other 4 can come from private property or crown land. However, the time/effort doesn't motivate me to go for it. I can't afford to trap them!

I took a few photos that I will check later to see if they are worth posting.

Redsnow: Good point about the aldridge being hung up. The cottagers combed the area again looking and didn't find it. That location also lost a few 5 gallon buckets full of meat. A white bucket can be hard to miss but they tote them away - lid and all.

You foot snare looks great. As long as the spring is quick it will work. I've seen some that used the springs on old truck hoods.

We've eaten our share of bear way back when. We stopped when we had kids due to fear of parasites. The big sow was full of "spagetinni" under the pelt and in the muscles. The meat doers have a good taste but worms just ruin it for me.

#22557 - 06/10/15 06:32 AM Re: bear [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Hmmm, never did see any worms in the meat. Yep that would ruin it for me too. Friend of mine killed one a few years ago, it's intestines were loaded with worms. Found out after it was skinned, it'd been shot before, and all messed up. That was a 300# bear, ended up tossing the whole works in the trash.

I saved a ham from last winters bear, still in the freezer. But I gave the rest away.

20 bear does seem like a lot. Also understand about burning a tank of gas everyday, hauling bait. About the only way you'd break even in that deal would be catering to tourists. I'm sure there's lot of red-tape involved, if that's even legal. ???

Years ago I made an all purpose trigger-trigger, no idea where it is today? Still in my head. If I get a chance today, I'll draw it on paper. Similar to a "figure 4 trigger", easier to make, and only 2 pieces, instead of 3.

Thinking about your meat bait, that's a mess this time of year!

#22558 - 06/10/15 10:47 AM Re: bear [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

For whatever reason the photos won't post.

Edited by musher (06/10/15 10:48 AM)

#22561 - 06/10/15 02:52 PM Re: bear [Re: musher]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
But at least you got back on line! -- Hal

#22563 - 06/10/15 05:36 PM Re: bear [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

Gotta love those ERROR 404's. mad

#22564 - 06/10/15 05:46 PM Re: bear [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

The last one had a nice"V"

The bent up aldridge.

Edited by musher (06/10/15 05:51 PM)

#22565 - 06/11/15 06:31 AM Re: bear [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Nice bright V. Is that the trap that you couldn't find? Just thinking about it now, it wouldn't be a bad idea to tie a piece of surveyors tape to the trap. Sure would make the trap easier to find.

#22567 - 06/11/15 08:54 AM Re: bear [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Originally Posted By: redsnow
Nice bright V. Is that the trap that you couldn't find? Just thinking about it now, it wouldn't be a bad idea to tie a piece of surveyors tape to the trap. Sure would make the trap easier to find.

Nope. It is another. I have orange duct tape on the trap. Flagging doesn't last with a bear.

#22569 - 06/11/15 02:20 PM Re: bear [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

I don't have a lot of experience with these cable traps, but as far as I could tell, I never did see a trap that was chewed. Most of the damage to the trap was just from jerking it out of the ground, getting tangled in the snare cable, or wrapped around a tree. As mentioned above, the trap was just kicked/flipped out of the trap circle, or buried inside the trap circle. Not sure if a bear would mess with a piece of flagging or not?

Even if you only had a half-inch sticking up out of the dirt, it'd be easier to find. I've got a spool of orange chalk line, if you'd keep it short, that would hang tight. Probably, just laying on the ground, in plain sight.

But I wanted to say this, it's been around 25 years ago, but I've watched bears in a cable snare, 10 feet away, you could toss them a chocolate bar, and they'd peel it and eat it. Very nimble little toes, and paws! As a rule, most were shy and timid. But, it's still a bear, and deserves common sense.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.