Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#22598 - 06/20/15 02:09 PM pelt wringer
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
I picked up an old hand crank wringer. The rollers are only 10" wide, with a loading ramp at 7 1/2" wide. I thought I might use it on pelts that have been washed. I know my bobcat pelt turned out to be a bloody mess. After a wash I tried not to twist-wring it out for fear of ruining it. I wound up rolling it several times in each direction. I'm thinking if I feed a pelt nose first into this contraption I'll get the desired results. Yes? No? Maybe so??

Thanks, Frank.

#22600 - 06/20/15 05:32 PM Re: pelt wringer [Re: FLSH ETR]
Mike Conrad Offline

Loc: Sheffield, Ohio
Nose first yes, I have seen guys use them to flesh rats too.

#22605 - 06/21/15 01:14 PM Re: pelt wringer [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I had one for several years, then I swapped it out for a power ringer. Small animals like coon were easy. Coyotes -- not so much. Finally, I gave up on it as more trouble than it was worth. Nowadays, I just hang the pelt by the nose, fur out, and let the water drip out of it. I usually let them hang overnight. But here's a little tip. When you hang the pelt, leave no exposed leather. At the base of the pelt and on down the legs, the press leather to leather. I press the legs together one agains the other. The leather is sticky when wet and will stay stuck together over night. At the nose, I wrap a wet rag around the pelt that covers all of the ears, nose and mouth. If you don't do that, you may get dry spots in the leather before you get the pelt on the boad.

Give the wringer a try, you may like it.

Hal

#22609 - 06/21/15 04:31 PM Re: pelt wringer [Re: FLSH ETR]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
I actually use a rolling pin on wet/washed fur to remove they majority of water. Lay the hide on a board, roll a few times then hang to dry. Speeds up drying considerably

#22610 - 06/21/15 05:42 PM Re: pelt wringer [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
Has anyone tried a leaf blower to dry pelts?

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.