Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Photo

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#22940 - 09/26/15 04:25 PM deer
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.

#22941 - 09/26/15 08:39 PM Re: deer [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Here's a bear that one of my friends shot yesterday. That's Tammy's second bear, it weighed 120#, live weight.

Sad to say, it's not furred up at all. It's just so flat looking.

Ok, give us the run down on this big deer. Is he a 300 pounder?

#22942 - 09/27/15 04:04 AM Re: deer [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

That bear looks pretty lean for fall.

The deer is on my wood lot. I checked the trail cams for moose. I wanted to know if a moose was around since bow season has been open for them since last Saturday.

The deer was on the cam.

#22943 - 09/27/15 06:49 AM Re: deer [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

The bear was a male, I'd guess it was born spring before last. I did have nice front feet, he'd make a good track in the mud for it's size. They had to drag that bear a good ways, it's hair is all packed down. And they hauled it home in the bed of their side/by/side, the other side was a bloody mess.

The WV DNR is trying to thin the bear population in this area, we had a one week early rifle season, starting last Saturday. Archery bear season started yesterday, and runs until December 31. Our rifle season will start the week of Thanksgiving.

The reason I asked about your deer picture, a guy I went to school with went up in Canada and killed a monster 10-point. Pretty sure he was in Alberta, but his deer weighed over 300#. Just comparing your deer's neck to it's shoulders and butt, that's a big deer too.

#23001 - 10/16/15 03:57 PM Re: deer [Re: musher]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I speculate that West Virginia bears don't put on as much fat as Ontario bears.

Hal

#23003 - 10/17/15 10:28 AM Re: deer [Re: Hal]
musher Online   content

Originally Posted By: Hal
I speculate that West Virginia bears don't put on as much fat as Ontario bears.

Hal

Or Quebec bears!

#23004 - 10/17/15 02:10 PM Re: deer [Re: musher]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Damnit. All you people look alike to me. smile -- Hal

#23005 - 10/18/15 07:21 AM Re: deer [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Bear are very similar to domestic hogs. If they have food, they'll eat till they are full, get a drink of water and go lay down.

If you look at the bear above, you can pretty much see it's hide (across it's rib cage) and you can see the muscles in it's back legs. It's just not furred at all, and it's hair is packed down, almost like a wet coon.

If the bear was dry and fluffy, like when Tammy first shot the thing, it would look a whole lot better.

I'll try to give you the run down on the bear around here. Cubs are born near the end of January, around Thanksgiving the cubs (as a rule) should weigh from 50 to almost 100#. I remember a sow with 3 cubs, that ran up to me one year in deer season, I don't think they would have weighed 50#. But they are hard to judge.

The DNR takes a tooth sample for aging purposes, most of the time. I killed one that weighed around 95# once, according to the tooth, it was a cub.

The bear I killed season before last weighed 240#, according to the tooth, it was 2 years and 11 months old.

But looking at Tammy's bear above, (she killed it almost a month ago), if it'd had a chance to feed and fatten up until our normal bear season in December, it might have weighed 150 or 180# With a good acorn crop, lots of grapes or feeding in someone's corn field, it could put on quite a bit of weight.

Here at work we tag in critters and have weighed a lot of bear, the majority of bear are 200# or less. Well as I remember in the last 26 years, we've had 3 bear that went over 400#.

The size and weight of our game depends on the mast crop, this year it's pretty scarce in this area. Places where I've been anyway.

But let me ask, I'd guess the #1 bear food in Quebec is probably blue berries. Maybe not? Do you have Beech trees in your area?

If it's blue berries/huckle berries, how many months of they year do bear have a pretty much endless supply? 3 or 4 months? I guess now they are cleaning up moose scraps.

#23006 - 10/18/15 11:03 AM Re: deer [Re: redsnow]
greenpea Offline

Loc: upper new york state so far up...
Redsnow

I live about 100 miles from Quebec driving on the roads their it looks like they have the same hardwoods in the lower part of Quebec as they do here in N.N.Y and we also have beech trees and the black cheery trees the bears were in them in Aug and September.

#23007 - 10/18/15 04:52 PM Re: deer [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

I'm seeing bears almost every time I hunt geese. They are in the grain fields. Blueberries, raspberries, choke cherries and various leaves are the main diet.

A spring born cub weighs maybe 50 pounds in the fall. They are about 35 pounds in the spring. I have have several spring bears aged by their teeth and 150 pounds for a female, regardless of age, is common.

We had a hard frost last night. Maybe a half inch of ice on the smaller ponds. The water froze on the dogs fur almost instantly when she retrieved this morning.

Trapping starts next Sunday and we are a little worried the beaver might become even more work. It would be nice to have a couple of ice free weeks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.