Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Photo

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#23008 - 10/19/15 06:42 AM Re: deer [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
It's 30* here now.

I weighed a female bear the other day, she was 215#. More than likely she was pregnant and would have had cubs in January.

I'm not familiar with "choke cherries". We have sassafras, gum (some folks call them Sweet Gum), wild cherry, bear like all of them. Plus the others food mentioned above. Beech trees don't grow here locally, I know of them 15 or 20 miles from here.

I mentioned the other day about the DNR changing the rules about Wardney's salt lick, making it illegal, because of CWD. The same rules apply to baiting.

If you get right down to it, you'd be amazed at the amount of apples and corn folks dump out in the mountains. I've seen it first hand. Tons and tons and tons. I was out trapping one time and had to back up, to let a convoy of trucks hauling apples up on the mountain.

I heard rumor that the DNR is really cracking down on folks with bait stations.

#23009 - 10/20/15 06:42 AM Re: deer [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Above we've been talking about bear foods, I wanted to tell you this. Years ago there was a man, Riley, that owned a 1/6th share of the one mountain that I like to hunt. Riley was retired, loved to hunt and fish, anyway, he'd walk around the local corn fields and pick up the ear corn that was missed by the combine or corn picker. There is always some missed, in the corners of the fields, where the wind knocked it down, etc.

Riley would shell the corn by hand and take it up on the mountain. I guess the road is about 4 miles long, just dead ends, he had 3 different spots where he'd scatter the corn. He'd take walnuts up too. He's take corn up one or two times a week, anytime he wanted to go for a ride.

But I deer hunted up there the week of Thanksgiving, that year, it was always after dark before I'd get back to my truck. I forget if it was 3 or 4 nights that week, but just about every night when I'd cut around that turn, there would be a bear standing in the headlights.

Riley didn't put out a lot of corn at each spot, just thinking about it now, I'd guess about a 5-gallon bucket full total. Probably around 10# of corn at each spot. But the bear knew where it was located, so did the deer and turkeys. I've watched Riley put out his feed/bait before, he'd spread it out just like you would feeding chickens. Just grab a hand full and give it a fling. Some would be at your feet, some would be 10 yards down the ridge. But a bear eating corn, everyday for a couple of months, it's going to gain weight.

But talking about how many tons of corn that is dumped out in the woods for deer bait, one of my landowners has sold "deer corn" for years. I've been on his farm and watched folks buy a full truck load of corn. Shelled and ear corn both.

Apples, there are orchards north of here, and they sell the seconds cheap. But it's nothing unusual to see a pickup loaded to the rim with good looking apples, headed for the hills. That's the way it was last season, before the law change, so we'll see how that pans out this season. There's a good chance a DNR vehicle might be close behind.

Edited by redsnow (10/20/15 02:18 PM)
Edit Reason: Added more.

#23010 - 10/22/15 06:41 AM Re: deer [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Here at work yesterday I weighed another bear. It was a female, and it weighed 296# field dressed. I really think that's the biggest female that I've ever weighed. I remember some around 250#. It was killed in a corn field.

It was a short bodied, chunky style of bear, just looking at the cut on it's belly, it was fat. Compared to the bear above, it looked to be furred up pretty good.

I didn't have my camera handy, it was up to almost 70*, and they wanted to get it skinned quick as they could. They were taking pictures, I'll try to get one. It even had a big head. I'll add more later.

Ok, I'll add a little bit more. A girl (young woman) came in the store yesterday and bought her bear license, the guy with her said that they'd seen a bear that morning, and figured she'd be able to get a shot. I've met both of them before, but don't really know them. Anyway, the girl told me when she left the store, she'd be back in a little bit to weigh her bear. Sure enough about 3 hours later, she was here with her bear.

She was hunting with a crossbow, looked like she made a good shot too. I didn't ask for details. I've trapped the farm where she killed the bear, I know it fairly well. The next farm North is owned by different folks, (I've trapped it too), but I really think while they were shelling the field corn, basically the bear was running out of places to hide. East or West, there are lots of hiding spots for a bear.

Above I compared bear to a domestic hog, this bear was in a corn field beside the river, it didn't need to go very far.

Edited by redsnow (10/22/15 05:39 PM)

#23013 - 10/23/15 05:19 AM Re: deer [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Big, healthy female.

#23021 - 10/25/15 06:46 AM Re: deer [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Here's a male bear I weighed yesterday, it was 235# cleaned out. It looked pretty good fur wise.

We had a 3-day doe season in this county, October 22-24th. That's Tyson with his first deer. It was kind of quiet here at work last evening, Tyson and his Dad gave me the play-by-play action. Sounded like they had a helluva time getting it up on top of the minivan. But Tyson will remember that deer for a long long time!

I posted both of those pictures on my facebook thing, getting lots of likes.

#23040 - 11/04/15 05:50 AM Re: deer [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hph...amp;oe=56F715A5

Here's a picture of the 296# female bear, that was field dressed.

Edited by redsnow (11/04/15 05:54 AM)

#23068 - 11/11/15 09:04 PM Re: deer [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

One of my hunting guys took his little boy, Branson out to Wyoming this week. Here's a picture of the young man.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hph...amp;oe=56B83CB5

Granddad, Dad and the little boy all hunting together. Just got a message, they are all tagged out.

#23075 - 11/13/15 09:51 PM Re: deer [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

The guys stopped by on the way home to show off their antlers.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hph...220982279_o.jpg

6 deer on the ground with 6 shots.

#23098 - 11/18/15 01:58 PM Re: deer [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

#23103 - 11/18/15 05:58 PM Re: deer [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
What did it weigh?

Bears are not all denned up here. My marten boxes are getting smashed by at least three different bears. This is very unusual and a huge problem.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.