Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Photo

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#22940 - 09/26/15 04:25 PM deer
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.

#22941 - 09/26/15 08:39 PM Re: deer [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Here's a bear that one of my friends shot yesterday. That's Tammy's second bear, it weighed 120#, live weight.

Sad to say, it's not furred up at all. It's just so flat looking.

Ok, give us the run down on this big deer. Is he a 300 pounder?

#22942 - 09/27/15 04:04 AM Re: deer [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

That bear looks pretty lean for fall.

The deer is on my wood lot. I checked the trail cams for moose. I wanted to know if a moose was around since bow season has been open for them since last Saturday.

The deer was on the cam.

#22943 - 09/27/15 06:49 AM Re: deer [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

The bear was a male, I'd guess it was born spring before last. I did have nice front feet, he'd make a good track in the mud for it's size. They had to drag that bear a good ways, it's hair is all packed down. And they hauled it home in the bed of their side/by/side, the other side was a bloody mess.

The WV DNR is trying to thin the bear population in this area, we had a one week early rifle season, starting last Saturday. Archery bear season started yesterday, and runs until December 31. Our rifle season will start the week of Thanksgiving.

The reason I asked about your deer picture, a guy I went to school with went up in Canada and killed a monster 10-point. Pretty sure he was in Alberta, but his deer weighed over 300#. Just comparing your deer's neck to it's shoulders and butt, that's a big deer too.

#23001 - 10/16/15 03:57 PM Re: deer [Re: musher]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I speculate that West Virginia bears don't put on as much fat as Ontario bears.

Hal

#23003 - 10/17/15 10:28 AM Re: deer [Re: Hal]
musher Online   content

Originally Posted By: Hal
I speculate that West Virginia bears don't put on as much fat as Ontario bears.

Hal

Or Quebec bears!

#23004 - 10/17/15 02:10 PM Re: deer [Re: musher]
Hal Online   content

Damnit. All you people look alike to me. smile -- Hal

#23005 - 10/18/15 07:21 AM Re: deer [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Bear are very similar to domestic hogs. If they have food, they'll eat till they are full, get a drink of water and go lay down.

If you look at the bear above, you can pretty much see it's hide (across it's rib cage) and you can see the muscles in it's back legs. It's just not furred at all, and it's hair is packed down, almost like a wet coon.

If the bear was dry and fluffy, like when Tammy first shot the thing, it would look a whole lot better.

I'll try to give you the run down on the bear around here. Cubs are born near the end of January, around Thanksgiving the cubs (as a rule) should weigh from 50 to almost 100#. I remember a sow with 3 cubs, that ran up to me one year in deer season, I don't think they would have weighed 50#. But they are hard to judge.

The DNR takes a tooth sample for aging purposes, most of the time. I killed one that weighed around 95# once, according to the tooth, it was a cub.

The bear I killed season before last weighed 240#, according to the tooth, it was 2 years and 11 months old.

But looking at Tammy's bear above, (she killed it almost a month ago), if it'd had a chance to feed and fatten up until our normal bear season in December, it might have weighed 150 or 180# With a good acorn crop, lots of grapes or feeding in someone's corn field, it could put on quite a bit of weight.

Here at work we tag in critters and have weighed a lot of bear, the majority of bear are 200# or less. Well as I remember in the last 26 years, we've had 3 bear that went over 400#.

The size and weight of our game depends on the mast crop, this year it's pretty scarce in this area. Places where I've been anyway.

But let me ask, I'd guess the #1 bear food in Quebec is probably blue berries. Maybe not? Do you have Beech trees in your area?

If it's blue berries/huckle berries, how many months of they year do bear have a pretty much endless supply? 3 or 4 months? I guess now they are cleaning up moose scraps.

#23006 - 10/18/15 11:03 AM Re: deer [Re: redsnow]
greenpea Offline

Loc: upper new york state so far up...
Redsnow

I live about 100 miles from Quebec driving on the roads their it looks like they have the same hardwoods in the lower part of Quebec as they do here in N.N.Y and we also have beech trees and the black cheery trees the bears were in them in Aug and September.

#23007 - 10/18/15 04:52 PM Re: deer [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

I'm seeing bears almost every time I hunt geese. They are in the grain fields. Blueberries, raspberries, choke cherries and various leaves are the main diet.

A spring born cub weighs maybe 50 pounds in the fall. They are about 35 pounds in the spring. I have have several spring bears aged by their teeth and 150 pounds for a female, regardless of age, is common.

We had a hard frost last night. Maybe a half inch of ice on the smaller ponds. The water froze on the dogs fur almost instantly when she retrieved this morning.

Trapping starts next Sunday and we are a little worried the beaver might become even more work. It would be nice to have a couple of ice free weeks.

#23008 - 10/19/15 06:42 AM Re: deer [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

It's 30* here now.

I weighed a female bear the other day, she was 215#. More than likely she was pregnant and would have had cubs in January.

I'm not familiar with "choke cherries". We have sassafras, gum (some folks call them Sweet Gum), wild cherry, bear like all of them. Plus the others food mentioned above. Beech trees don't grow here locally, I know of them 15 or 20 miles from here.

I mentioned the other day about the DNR changing the rules about Wardney's salt lick, making it illegal, because of CWD. The same rules apply to baiting.

If you get right down to it, you'd be amazed at the amount of apples and corn folks dump out in the mountains. I've seen it first hand. Tons and tons and tons. I was out trapping one time and had to back up, to let a convoy of trucks hauling apples up on the mountain.

I heard rumor that the DNR is really cracking down on folks with bait stations.

#23009 - 10/20/15 06:42 AM Re: deer [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Above we've been talking about bear foods, I wanted to tell you this. Years ago there was a man, Riley, that owned a 1/6th share of the one mountain that I like to hunt. Riley was retired, loved to hunt and fish, anyway, he'd walk around the local corn fields and pick up the ear corn that was missed by the combine or corn picker. There is always some missed, in the corners of the fields, where the wind knocked it down, etc.

Riley would shell the corn by hand and take it up on the mountain. I guess the road is about 4 miles long, just dead ends, he had 3 different spots where he'd scatter the corn. He'd take walnuts up too. He's take corn up one or two times a week, anytime he wanted to go for a ride.

But I deer hunted up there the week of Thanksgiving, that year, it was always after dark before I'd get back to my truck. I forget if it was 3 or 4 nights that week, but just about every night when I'd cut around that turn, there would be a bear standing in the headlights.

Riley didn't put out a lot of corn at each spot, just thinking about it now, I'd guess about a 5-gallon bucket full total. Probably around 10# of corn at each spot. But the bear knew where it was located, so did the deer and turkeys. I've watched Riley put out his feed/bait before, he'd spread it out just like you would feeding chickens. Just grab a hand full and give it a fling. Some would be at your feet, some would be 10 yards down the ridge. But a bear eating corn, everyday for a couple of months, it's going to gain weight.

But talking about how many tons of corn that is dumped out in the woods for deer bait, one of my landowners has sold "deer corn" for years. I've been on his farm and watched folks buy a full truck load of corn. Shelled and ear corn both.

Apples, there are orchards north of here, and they sell the seconds cheap. But it's nothing unusual to see a pickup loaded to the rim with good looking apples, headed for the hills. That's the way it was last season, before the law change, so we'll see how that pans out this season. There's a good chance a DNR vehicle might be close behind.

Edited by redsnow (10/20/15 02:18 PM)
Edit Reason: Added more.

#23010 - 10/22/15 06:41 AM Re: deer [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Here at work yesterday I weighed another bear. It was a female, and it weighed 296# field dressed. I really think that's the biggest female that I've ever weighed. I remember some around 250#. It was killed in a corn field.

It was a short bodied, chunky style of bear, just looking at the cut on it's belly, it was fat. Compared to the bear above, it looked to be furred up pretty good.

I didn't have my camera handy, it was up to almost 70*, and they wanted to get it skinned quick as they could. They were taking pictures, I'll try to get one. It even had a big head. I'll add more later.

Ok, I'll add a little bit more. A girl (young woman) came in the store yesterday and bought her bear license, the guy with her said that they'd seen a bear that morning, and figured she'd be able to get a shot. I've met both of them before, but don't really know them. Anyway, the girl told me when she left the store, she'd be back in a little bit to weigh her bear. Sure enough about 3 hours later, she was here with her bear.

She was hunting with a crossbow, looked like she made a good shot too. I didn't ask for details. I've trapped the farm where she killed the bear, I know it fairly well. The next farm North is owned by different folks, (I've trapped it too), but I really think while they were shelling the field corn, basically the bear was running out of places to hide. East or West, there are lots of hiding spots for a bear.

Above I compared bear to a domestic hog, this bear was in a corn field beside the river, it didn't need to go very far.

Edited by redsnow (10/22/15 05:39 PM)

#23013 - 10/23/15 05:19 AM Re: deer [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

Big, healthy female.

#23021 - 10/25/15 06:46 AM Re: deer [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Here's a male bear I weighed yesterday, it was 235# cleaned out. It looked pretty good fur wise.

We had a 3-day doe season in this county, October 22-24th. That's Tyson with his first deer. It was kind of quiet here at work last evening, Tyson and his Dad gave me the play-by-play action. Sounded like they had a helluva time getting it up on top of the minivan. But Tyson will remember that deer for a long long time!

I posted both of those pictures on my facebook thing, getting lots of likes.

#23040 - 11/04/15 05:50 AM Re: deer [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hph...amp;oe=56F715A5

Here's a picture of the 296# female bear, that was field dressed.

Edited by redsnow (11/04/15 05:54 AM)

#23068 - 11/11/15 09:04 PM Re: deer [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

One of my hunting guys took his little boy, Branson out to Wyoming this week. Here's a picture of the young man.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hph...amp;oe=56B83CB5

Granddad, Dad and the little boy all hunting together. Just got a message, they are all tagged out.

#23075 - 11/13/15 09:51 PM Re: deer [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

The guys stopped by on the way home to show off their antlers.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hph...220982279_o.jpg

6 deer on the ground with 6 shots.

#23098 - 11/18/15 01:58 PM Re: deer [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

#23103 - 11/18/15 05:58 PM Re: deer [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

What did it weigh?

Bears are not all denned up here. My marten boxes are getting smashed by at least three different bears. This is very unusual and a huge problem.

#23106 - 11/18/15 09:10 PM Re: deer [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

The bear weighed 550#, live weight. The guy, Gary, shot it with his bow in a corn field. Look at the gut on that critter, it was a male bear. Not positive, if it's not the biggest bear I've ever weighed, it's #2.

Gary is somewhere around 5' 11" tall, he's standing right beside that critter. Just guessing, Gary will go a good 300# or better!

#23113 - 11/19/15 08:11 PM Re: deer [Re: musher]
Hal Online   content

Originally Posted By: musher
What did it weigh?

Bears are not all denned up here. My marten boxes are getting smashed by at least three different bears. This is very unusual and a huge problem.

Folks who discount climate warming should pay attention to that. The critters will tell us a lot. Next thing you know, you'll be taking possums out of your marten boxes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.