Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#23115 - 11/20/15 04:26 AM Be careful of your moose
Talachulitna Jim Offline

Loc: Anchorage, AK
I live in a typical suburb, but we still get moose in the yard, especially during winter when they like to wander around munching ornamental trees. In the spring I get to rake up my allotted share of droppings. No, they don't make good fertilizer, because they're made of pulverized wood that takes more than a year to rot away.

The night before last I went out around 1:00 am to mail a letter, and almost ran into a moose in the driveway. I stood still while the moose slowly ambled toward the dark cover of one of my ornamental trees. Probably the same one the moose had been munching on. About ten yards away the moose stopped in the shadows and watched me, perhaps thinking that I couldn't see it. I went on and stuck the letter in the mailbox and returned to the house.

Next morning I went to check for tracks in the snow, and found tracks of a cow and a yearling calf. Cow moose with calves aren't known for their tolerance. I was lucky I didn't have to play ring-around-the-rosy around my car, parked in the driveway, as I did one year.

Jim

#23117 - 11/20/15 03:21 PM Re: Be careful of your moose [Re: Talachulitna Jim]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Having experienced the Cow defending calf situation, I'm glad nothing more serious took place for you.

That being said,instead of playing ring around the rosy wouldn't it be a lot simpler to just open a door and cower on the floor until she goes away?

#23119 - 11/20/15 09:18 PM Re: Be careful of your moose [Re: Talachulitna Jim]
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
The Moose herd, in Northern New York is growing rapidly. Several years ago there started to be regular sightings, then, more and more sightings and pictures. Now, some have gotten pictures of Cows with Calves, so they are reproducing. I have gotten a few trail cam pics of them------but not anything too impressive, so far. If things keep going the way they are---one day I suspect we will have a short season for them. How is the meat? Like Venison? "Gamey" or not so much? They certainly are a very beautiful animal.

Ron

#23122 - 11/20/15 10:13 PM Re: Be careful of your moose [Re: Talachulitna Jim]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I'm glad I live in the country.

Hal

#23125 - 11/21/15 02:47 AM Re: Be careful of your moose [Re: Talachulitna Jim]
Talachulitna Jim Offline

I like the meat better than venison. We have freezers full of the stuff, eat it instead of beef.

Once did a taste-off at a dinner with a dozen people, against some Rocky Mountain elk, and more people preferred the moose. Best meat after Dall's sheep, imho. 'Course, it depends on the individual animal and how well you care for the meat.

Jim

#23129 - 11/21/15 12:43 PM Re: Be careful of your moose [Re: Talachulitna Jim]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Never Had Dall Sheep. Is there a difference between Dall,Stone,Bighorn etc. Jim?

What Moose I've had has been very good.

With all meat this cannot be overstated............how well you care for the meat

#23130 - 11/21/15 12:57 PM Re: Be careful of your moose [Re: Talachulitna Jim]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
When I first read title, I was expecting a picture of a vehicle smashed by a moose collision.

A guy sent me an email the other day, titled the "ever present danger of driving in Alaska". Showed a bull moose that went through the windshield of what looks to be a medium sized car. The car was trashed! No word about the driver or passengers (if any) condition, but you'd be very fortunate to have walked away from that crash.

One of my Dad's friends hunted all over North America, years ago, and he always said that moose meat was better than beef. Elk is good eating, I've only had moose one time. First I've ever heard anyone talk about a Dall's sheep meat, it must be good.

#23133 - 11/21/15 10:12 PM Re: Be careful of your moose [Re: Talachulitna Jim]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
May I submit that "taste" is fairly well subjective. As for how the meat was taken care of, I'm afraid there are varying opinions on that as well. Some folks claim you should let a deer hang for a week before you butcher it. My current preference for processing deer is to have the meat off the bone, and soaking in cold salt water, before the carcass has a chance to cool. I like to see the steam rise off a deer as I take the hide off of it. I have tried it both ways, and nowadays any deer that has hung for a week is dog food.

For a real taste treat, try eating hogs and cows -- they are delicious! smile smile smile

Hal

#23136 - 11/21/15 11:20 PM Re: Be careful of your moose [Re: Talachulitna Jim]
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
That's funny! I do eat a lot of hogs and cows and a chicken or two, also.

The deer hanging story rings true with me. Used to hunt deer with my Dad before I could even carry a firearm. Dad---and his hunting buddies, always swore that you had to let your deer hang head up, for a week before you butchered it. I do not know why. Then, my mother would prepare venison and it always tasted like it should have been dog food. Now-a-days, my hunting friends butcher their deer immediately ---usually the same day as harvest ----and I have tried some of their venison and it tastes pretty good. I do like beef better, though.

Ron

#23138 - 11/22/15 12:35 AM Re: Be careful of your moose [Re: Talachulitna Jim]
Talachulitna Jim Offline

"Never Had Dall Sheep. Is there a difference between Dall,Stone,Bighorn etc. Jim?"

Beats me. I've only ever eaten Dall's sheep, not the others. Dang, I miss sheep hunting!

We rough-butcher our moose in the field, and get them out and to the butcher's as soon as we can.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.