Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#23270 - 12/10/15 08:55 PM cookie cutter
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
Has anyone here ever used them? Who makes one that would fit #3 soft catches?

Thanks.

#23272 - 12/11/15 01:05 AM Re: cookie cutter [Re: musher]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I once used a small mushroom can with a piece of broom handle screwed on top.

Hal

#23274 - 12/11/15 06:43 AM Re: cookie cutter [Re: musher]
DEP Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Lucasville Ohio
I made one this year for my Bridget #2s just to try it and love it. It cuts down on extra dry diet you have to use to fill in around the trap and helps bed the trap solid quicker for me . I didn't think I would use as much as I do when I built it but reach for it 90% of my sets.

#23281 - 12/12/15 07:13 AM Re: cookie cutter [Re: musher]
country417 Offline

Loc: MO
i made one for my 1.75's, when it works it works great but i can tell you this, the soil condition has to be right, here in missouri where we have a lot of cattle pasture and goverment ground you couldn't beat it in the ground with a sledge hammer, but around farm fields it works good

#23282 - 12/12/15 04:16 PM Re: cookie cutter [Re: Hal]
musher Offline

Originally Posted By: Hal
I once used a small mushroom can with a piece of broom handle screwed on top.

Hal

But didn't the can get all beat up when you pounded on the can?

#23283 - 12/12/15 06:36 PM Re: cookie cutter [Re: musher]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I'm afraid there has been a miscommunication. I assumed you were talking about a "trapper's cap" pan covering device. Obviously you are not. Now I assume you are talking about something that you pound into the ground to cut out a trap bed. Is that correct?

If so, I have never tried that.

Hal

#23287 - 12/12/15 11:43 PM Re: cookie cutter [Re: Hal]
musher Offline

[quote=Hal]I'm afraid there has been a miscommunication. I assumed you were talking about a "trapper's cap" pan covering device. Obviously you are not. Now I assume you are talking about something that you pound into the ground to cut out a trap bed. Is that correct?

If so, I have never tried that.

Hal [/quot

Yes. It cuts out your trap bed.

#23289 - 12/13/15 03:53 AM Re: cookie cutter [Re: musher]
Mike McChurin Offline

Loc: NE Oklahoma
I find myself checking out posts about these cookie cutters everytime I come across them.

Lots of folks rave about them. Others discount them as gimmicks.

I've seen a few YouTube videos about them. And honestly, I'm curious about them. I can see that with the right soil conditions they would speed up digging the "perfect" trap bed. I may give one a shot just to see. But with the traps I use I will likely have to build my own.

Mike

#23291 - 12/13/15 01:27 PM Re: cookie cutter [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I don't recall ever seeing one advertised for sale, in catalogs or magazines.

I found one at a trap convention years ago, it was hand made to fit a 1 3/4 size trap, B&L or Victor style.

A tailgater had the thing, I picked it up and looked it over, it had been hammered on a bunch. Was a long time ago, but just guessing it'd weigh over 5 pounds. Forget, the guy only wanted 10 or 15 bucks for the thing. I wish now that I'd bought it, it would make a good boat anchor for slack water.

I'll try to describe how it was made, the cutting edge was made of (give or take) 1/4" flat metal, sharpened on the inside. It had a sort of "frame" which braced the jaws side-to-side, and braced the ends which would cut out for the spring levers. Each one of those pieces were braced to the main shaft, where you'd pound.

This is how I looked at it, if you set even a small trap, say a 1 3/4. If you'd take a pencil and trace around the trap, you're dealing with over 20" of cut.

Maybe you can relate to using a pointed shovel, a "ditch shovel". Where you can bear down and put some weight on the handle and stomp it with your foot, and you're dealing with a thin edge, and only 6 or 8 inches of cut.

Cutting through sod or rough hard ground, it'd be impossible to drive it down. It was a neat looking contraption, but for my type of soil it would be worthless.

If a couple of you guys have one laying around, get us a picture when you get a chance.

If I was going to design one for a bigger trap like a #3, I'd make it half the size of the trap, from the trap's dog to the opposite jaw. Then you could flip it around and cut out for the other end of the trap. If your soil is nearly the same consistency as cookie dough, it should work good!

#23292 - 12/13/15 05:36 PM Re: cookie cutter [Re: musher]
musher Offline

Here is a video. It can't be that easy in real life.

https://youtu.be/DSehd3mi_14

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.