Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#23175 - 11/30/15 10:12 AM what am i doing wrong? sprung trap!!!!
country417 Offline

Loc: MO
this is a cubby set for bobcat, its got a chunck of red squirrel in it, feline fix and bobcat mag p, this is the 2nd time in two days this has been thrown, the week before the rain i had a similar set with it throwed also, i've seen cat tracks around it, pan tension about 2.5 lbs. northwoods #3 coil square jaw, night latched and waxed

#23176 - 11/30/15 10:26 AM Re: what am i doing wrong? sprung trap!!!! [Re: country417]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I've never purposely set for bobcat, but I have seen a few quite close when I lived further south.

I do know a little about lynx and that knowledge might be transferable to your situation.

I would remove the roof on your cubby and ensure that the cat can see through your set. Less is better with cats. It doesn't take much of a cubby.

#23180 - 11/30/15 01:21 PM Re: what am i doing wrong? sprung trap!!!! [Re: country417]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Did you clean the wax off the dog and pan shank?

Your on the right track. I would have it a taller and narrower. Lighter construction, I want to block their access to the attractor not have them move in :-)

#23181 - 11/30/15 01:46 PM Re: what am i doing wrong? sprung trap!!!! [Re: country417]
castiron Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
I would try another set close to that one. I would use a dirt hole set or a pee post or walk through set and give them another choice. You might have something besides a cat visiting your set.

#23185 - 11/30/15 10:27 PM Re: what am i doing wrong? sprung trap!!!! [Re: country417]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
It's hard to get perspective from your photo, but I am guessing you are trying to build a cat house and not a cubby. You don't need something the cat can walk into. And if that dot represents your trap placement, then I would move that trap outside, in front of that stick. A big cubby, with the trap inside, might be a good idea in country with deep snow, but I'll bet you don't have that problem in Missouri.

Here's one of my typical cat cubbies, you can judge its size by the duck feathers. The white arrows points to the trap.

#23189 - 12/01/15 10:45 AM Re: what am i doing wrong? sprung trap!!!! [Re: country417]
country417 Offline

thank you all so much, i will make the proper adjustments and see what happens

#23190 - 12/01/15 11:51 AM Re: what am i doing wrong? sprung trap!!!! [Re: country417]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
It's hard to get a feel for your location, with just that one little picture. I see the fence behind your cubby thing, isn't there a cow path or deer path beside the fence?

But I'll ask, is your trap bedded solid? I can't tell from the picture, is your trap sifted over with dirt? Really, it looks like it's just covered with grass. ???

Once your trap is bedded solid, sifted over with dirt, take the handle of your shovel and make a cat track right on top of the pan.

But when you check that set today, step back another 15 or 20 feet and get us another picture, if you don't mind. I don't understand why your set is facing away from the fence. There's probably a farm lane or something?

#23199 - 12/02/15 11:22 AM Re: what am i doing wrong? sprung trap!!!! [Re: country417]
country417 Offline

i will get you another pic today, yes the trap is bedded properly, i use a trapper's cap and poly-fil under the pan, where i set there was a limb that fell out of the locust, i created a spot where the cows and critters had to go out and around it, i have to use natural barriers since i trap cattle pasture, i think i just over thought it, made too big of a set and should have just kept it simple

#23205 - 12/03/15 09:23 AM Re: what am i doing wrong? sprung trap!!!! [Re: country417]
country417 Offline

i am back to the basics, how is this for a bobcat set, i'm not making any of the big cubbies anymore, the cats i have caught before we
're in simple sets like this one, i have probably educated the cats on that ground

#23208 - 12/03/15 12:43 PM Re: what am i doing wrong? sprung trap!!!! [Re: country417]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I was really expecting another picture of the set beside the fence, only a wider angle of the set area. Back up another 20 feet or so, and off to one side and snap another picture, let us get a look at the entire area, if you don't mind.

We haven't solved the problem with your sprung traps yet. I have a couple of ideas. But I'd like to see the area a little better before I comment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.