Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#23519 - 02/08/16 02:38 PM bodygrip dog notches?
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
I see most bodygrips have 3 notches in the dog. Starting nearest the jaw, with #1, why are there 3 and what difference does it make whether I use # 1, 2 or 3? I am guessing that #1 means the springs are compressed more----thus it takes more pressure to move the trigger wires???? Is this right? And which notch do most people use. For some unknown reason--I have always used the middle one.

Ron

#23520 - 02/09/16 03:41 PM Re: bodygrip dog notches? [Re: ron finewood]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I think the shorter you make the trigger the more tension the trap has. But in my opinion, it is and insignificant difference. If you want tension on a bodygrip trigger, install a tension adjustable trigger. Not all bodygrips did come with three notches. Personally I always use the end notch. -- Hal

#23528 - 02/17/16 06:38 AM Re: bodygrip dog notches? [Re: ron finewood]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Some of my bodygrips have 2 notches, some have 3.

A marten trapper told me once that the end notch was more sensitive. Without having very accurate scales, it would be hard to measure the difference in "trigger pull." I also agree that it's going to be a very slight difference between notch #1, 2 or 3.

I also use the end notch, probably the biggest reason being, it gives the trap a little bit wider "stance". And it also gives me a place to wedge a limb or pole or stake through the spring, and into the top corner(s) of the trap.

Talking about the trap dog, I think we talked about bodygrip adjustment before? All of my bodygrip dogs were "machine stamped", and I take a chainsaw file and square-up the notch that I'm going to use.

It only takes 3 or 4 strokes with a good file, and once the trap is set, the dog won't wiggle around on the trigger. You can kind of feel it snap into place.

#23546 - 02/24/16 10:06 AM Re: bodygrip dog notches? [Re: ron finewood]
gadwall Offline

Loc: dodge city ks.
i have found setting in the first notch to result in more head /neck catches which i find preferable

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.