Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2367 - 07/07/01 12:00 AM dip or dye canine traps?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm curious to know if most trappers dip their canine traps or if they dye and wax them. I would also be interested in knowing why you prefer one method over another. I'v done both, seen no difference in catch effectiveness, but prefer the dip due to its simplicity.

#2368 - 07/07/01 01:41 AM Re: dip or dye canine traps?
J Severing Offline
Member+

Loc: Livingston Manor N.Y. 12758
I dye and wax my traps. The reason is cooking the traps brings back fond memories of traplines ran with loved ones past.call it tradition I guess.

#2369 - 07/07/01 02:36 AM Re: dip or dye canine traps?
Catawba Offline

Loc: south of the masion-dixion lin...
i dye and wax mine and i never tried anything else other than that for footholds.

"CATAWBA"

#2370 - 07/07/01 09:39 AM Re: dip or dye canine traps?
ewoktrapper Offline

Loc: Pa
I dye and wax my traps also.Never had a problem with it.Never used dips to give you an opinion on it.

#2371 - 07/07/01 12:00 PM Re: dip or dye canine traps?
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Personally, I wax all my canine traps. I do, however, know a number of trappers who dip their canine traps and have good success. If you want to review a little more about wax and dip, it was a topic in the On Track page a while back. This link will take you there Wax & Dip . smile -- Hal

#2372 - 07/07/01 01:09 PM Re: dip or dye canine traps?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hal is right- plenty of info on the link he gave. I just don't have time to dye and wax all my traps. I have used Speed Dip for the past 8 years or so, and have had no problems with it dor coyotes. This year I will be trying Formula One- I like the idea of it being waterbased, so drying times and outside temps are not so crutial....trappnman

#2373 - 07/07/01 04:50 PM Re: dip or dye canine traps?
Danno Offline

Loc: Michigan
I dip mine. Just easier and quicker. Everyone I talk to say its the way to go. Was woundering if there is any prolonged negitive to doing this. So far i guess i do allright. I dont run a big line. But i do have a question. If your going to be away from your traps for a while (possibly 3-4 years) should I wax them to protect them?

#2374 - 07/08/01 01:52 AM Re: dip or dye canine traps?
Grinner Offline

Loc: N.E. PA USA
I dye and wax all my canine traps, and dip all my water traps, the dip seems to hold up better for water trapping(especially coon) than dye and wax. When I started trapping the dips were not available so dyeing and waxing was the only option and to me the annual boiling and waxing is kind of a tradition for me that I look forward to doing.

#2375 - 07/08/01 02:19 AM Re: dip or dye canine traps?
PA Trapper Offline

Loc: NW PA
I dye and wax because I've always done it and it works. I usually paint my conibears-once every few years whether they need it or not!
But, yes, the dying is a tradition-just love the smell of sumac boiling and a good hot fire, maybe a new trapping book to read while cookin' the steel....

#2376 - 07/08/01 04:14 AM Re: dip or dye canine traps?
NYTrapper Offline

Loc: Lowman NY USA
As of last year, I began to dip my traps, but do it early and hang them outdoors to dry to get rid of any odor. I only trapped a few days, but did manage to catch my first fox after years of not pursuing them. I admit, boiling, waxing and dying is a good way to kill an afternoon, but as of late it seems to have become a mad dash to get it done. I'll stick with the dip for reasons of ease and convinence until I see a reason not to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.