Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 17 of 18 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 >
Topic Options
#24696 - 04/04/17 02:41 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
Randy Sheckles Offline

Loc: Strawberry Point Iowa United S...
What is the neatest thing or animal you have ever seen on your cameras?

#24700 - 04/04/17 06:25 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV

#24702 - 04/04/17 06:43 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

This is a buck that I've never had on my camera before. I showed it to one of my DNR friends, he thinks it's going to be king of the mountain this coming season. I have no idea where he came from, but I think I've got 7 bucks hanging together now.

The question you asked, I enjoy looking at pictures and try to read the critters body language, best I can. I set my old camera up on a red fox den one time, got some pretty neat pictures. And I've had bear cubs messing around a few times.

There is a water hole up on the side of the mountain, I'd like to have a camera set up there. It's a busy place.

Edited by redsnow (04/04/17 06:56 PM)

#24703 - 04/04/17 06:48 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
jmbloom3 Offline

Loc: Ohio,Fairfield county

The date is correct.

#24706 - 04/06/17 06:34 AM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Turkeys are gobbling around here, and have been for a while. I don't remember when I got my first report of gobbling?, it's been probably 2 months ago. The mail girl is seeing turkeys about every day.

I have a computer at work, I never comment while I'm at work, but I've been showing the pictures above to some of my friends. Seems like all of them are sorry that they took their cameras down. I bought my camera to use.

We'll start a new antler growth thread in 2 or 3 weeks, and watch them sprout out again. I noticed the other day, this thread is up over 16,000 views. Must be a little interest.

My Stealth camera is a year old now, I have no complaints. I did notice the other day, I think the camera's thermometer must only go down to 25*. No big deal, but we've been below 25* lots of times during the past winter. I never look at that moon phase thing either.

Remember that snow storm we had back in mid-March, there was a lot of action around the salt lick the day before.

#24709 - 04/08/17 09:36 AM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Been wondering about your 'salt lick'. I've used them in the past and have enjoyed watching them disappear by the tongue marks. The chunk that I see in your pics looks more like the darker 'mineral block' that I see for sale in the stores around here. If that's what it is, do you consider it better than the actual salt block?

Frank.

#24710 - 04/08/17 11:53 AM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Darned if I know. The local co-op sells them as a "trace mineral" block. It's not one of those high dollar deer block things, it's the exact same block that folks around here furnish for their livestock, cows, sheep and goats.

Well as I remember about $6 for a 40 pound block. A guy from the local hunt clubs told me that a 50# bag of "trace mineral" salt was $5 now. The blocks and the bags of mineral salt are a dark reddish color. Seems like the blocks take longer to dissolve, than the loose salt, but really the deer are pawing at the ground, basically eating the dirt, and not licking the block.

I know of one salt lick, it's been there years, the guy filled up a tube sock with salt, and had it hanging from a tree limb. The deer have dug a hole, I'll bet it's 2 feet deep now, and as wide as a tub.

#24711 - 04/08/17 12:41 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Yea, it looked like a mineral block for livestock. Need to try one of those this year. In an old hunting camp, one fella always brought up a gallon jug of water with road salt in it. He'd pour it over an old tree stump near the drive in. The top of the stump got munched on, but like you mentioned, the dirt started disappearing from around and UNDER the stump. It got so that the thick roots of the old stump were exposed around and a foot down. The stump finally got hollowed out and the roots let go of their anchor points. I put the thing on our campfire, and the flames shot out of the top like a volcano. Most interesting camp fire we ever had!! I find it curious that we are told that we, as humans, eat way too much salt, but that just about every other creature will go out of it's way to gorge on the stuff, even smackin' down the dirt around it!

Frank.

#24716 - 04/09/17 06:58 AM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I've checked the timer on my camera, usually when a bunch of deer first arrive at the salt lick, they'll fool around for 8 or 10 minutes, and then move on.

Moe and I first started this salt lick a little over a year ago. The local deer know where it is now, and honestly I think there has been more activity there in the last 2 months than ever before.

Search "grass tetany". I wasn't sure if deer got that "condition" or not, but they do. I knew that cattle and goats would. Farmers around here are just now starting to turn their cows out to pasture. Our grass pastures have really greened up in the last week or 2.

When my daughter was farming goats and cows, the vet told me to make sure that they had salt, here in the spring. Big change in their diet in going from hay to fresh green grass.

A goat expert told me that goats were very good about knowing what their bodies needed, I'll assume that deer are about the same. Those deer are craving something. The majority of the female deer should be growing fawns, and the male deer should be in the process of growing antlers.

The other day I was showing a friend my pictures, we were bs'n about these mineral blocks. He said they'd been putting them out for 10 years or so on their property, he said that it'd made a tremendous difference in the size of their bucks. We'll see.

Last year I had pictures of new antler growth on April 30th, that's only 3 weeks from today.

#24789 - 05/11/17 05:35 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, I talked to Mr. Teet's from the DNR the other day, we were bs'n about deer horns. He's looked at the pictures above. I told him the last picture that I've had of a buck deer with both antlers was dated 3/31/17. Mr. Teet's said a man called him at his office on April 2nd, and said there was an 8-point in his back yard.

I haven't checked my camera for a month or so, but the last time that I did, as well as I can tell I have one buck with little nubs, about the size of a pop bottle cap.

We were talking about finding shed antlers, Mr. Teet's said that he'd found 18 sheds last spring, with only 1 matching pair. So far this spring, he hasn't found a single shed.

I've looked all over the place around the salt licks, I've circled them, out 25 yards or so. I've walked the best trails for 200 yards, drop down into the next good trail and follow it back to the salt lick. I haven't found a thing. Like we were talking, you take a little object the size of an antler and drop it someplace in 1,000 acres, the odds of finding it are slim!

Mr. Teet's said that he's had his best luck finding sheds where deer are feeding. We still have good acorns on the ground in places, right now. In one of the other threads I mentioned watching that bunch of turkey gobblers feeding, they were feeding on acorns. I know where that spot is located, next time I change SD cards, I'll walk over there and make a circle in that little oak grove. Probably won't amount to squat!

We were talking about how fast mice and squirrels find shed antlers, you hardly ever find one that's not been chewed on. It was my suggestion, he's going to put an old deer horn out and wire it fast with a trail cam watching the thing. It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with.

This was years ago, I was out one day and walked up on a squirrel, it took off running with something in it mouth and tried to go in a little hole at the base of a tree. It stopped the squirrel cold, and it dropped it, and went on inside the hollow tree. I went over and checked it out, it was a deer's rib bone, all gnawed up.

We'll start another antler thread before long, and see if these mineral blocks are doing any good.

Page 17 of 18 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.