Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
#23852 - 06/28/16 10:53 AM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Ron, that sucks!

Honestly, after reading and watching the videos about different trail cams, it came down to about 5 different models, in my price range. Bushnell, Browning, Stealth and Moultrie, in different models.

I think Moe's camera is a Moultrie 9000i. Not sure? About $130, at the time.

I decided on a Stealth model, G42NG. I bought it online for $115, free shipping.

The main reason that I picked this model, the moderator on the other forum said he'd had good luck with his, and was easy to set up. Also have a friend that's used the same model, and he told me that it is a nice little camera.

There are 100 different models of trail cams, without knowing anything about them it's hard to choose!

Here's one of my comments on the other forum, just after I got mine:

"I set it like that the other evening, here in the house. I had it on the kitchen counter facing the back door, and left it up an hour or so. I got one picture of the woman coming in the door, she's inside, and has her hand pushing the door closed. So that's pretty fast, on my computer I can zoom in and tell what she's got in her hands. And she was better than 40 feet from the camera.

Seems like a really wide angle, side to side and top to bottom too. But on the computer I could zoom in and almost read the hand written notes on the fridge, and that would be from 12 feet or so. I think I'll like this little machine! Going to put it in the woods either today or tomorrow."

One thing that I was interested in was the trigger speed, according to the reviews, Stealth is one of the quicker. I'll try to find the picture of the coyote/dog thing, it was back, another 4 or 5 steps past where the little buck is standing in my first picture.

I didn't like the way that Moe had his camera set up last fall, I think it has 80 or 100 feet of motion detection, and he had it set 10 feet from the trail. He got one picture of a bear, the only thing that you could see was it's one back leg.

I'll step it off next time up, but my camera is back, probably 40' from that legal salt lick.

#23853 - 06/28/16 01:03 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I wasn't sure what order the pictures posted. My opinion, the top picture is fairly crisp and detailed, there is a squirrel sitting on top of Wardney's illegal salt lick. Just guessing, it set off the motion detector, from about 25 feet. ???

And then 2 night pictures. But notice the coyote/dog looking thing, it's too big for a fox. It's only into the picture frame, maybe 4 body lengths or so? I only got one picture of it. Here on my computer, it's a lot easier to zoom in and compare it to the pictures of deer before and after, it's not a fox! Looks like it's got 2 feet off of the ground, it's trotting, I'd say.

I'll move that camera to a different tree next time up, and put it a little closer to the action.

Edited by redsnow (06/28/16 01:18 PM)

#23854 - 06/28/16 02:01 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Here's a good one. My son showed me one of his trail cameras. It appeared as if someone had taken a nail and punched the lens out. Then he showed me the pictures. A woodpecker had focused on that circle, and pecked the lens out of his camera.

#23855 - 06/28/16 02:11 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
ron finewood Online   content

Loc: palmyra, new york
WOW! What are the chances of that?
I have had bear knock my camera silly, a raccoon try to climb on it and a cow moose lick it but never a woodpecker problem!

#23856 - 06/28/16 03:11 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Hmmm, never thought about that.

What brands of cameras does your son like best?

One of the biggest things that I was looking for is ease of use. My Stealth camera has lots of options, can take videos and stuff, honestly, I've never read the manual. I wanted a camera more like a light switch, with an ON and OFF button.

Above I mentioned that I had my old camera watching a little mountain spring, it'll take me a good hour to walk up there and back. Add in the driving time, that's a 4 hour trip from here at the house. I remember I went up to change SD cards, and the darned thing said it had something like 20% battery charge. Those were high dollar batteries too, costing me about $1 per day. I did get some nice pictures, till the mommy bear knocked my camera out of kilter.

Talking about stuff being stolen, it probably didn't make any difference, but with my old camera, I'd always attach one of my trap tags to the camera. It's only happened once, but I did have a friend stop by and tell me that he found my camera, and asked what all I had pictures of. He would have never taken my camera, but at least he knew who it belonged to. So that's not a bad idea either.

#23858 - 06/28/16 04:48 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I don't know what he uses. They are not new.

#23859 - 06/28/16 06:48 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
ron finewood Online   content

Loc: palmyra, new york

Just a couple more interesting pictures. The Otter and the Black Bear were walking along the muddy shore of a former Beaver pond that the timber company drained by knocking out the dam. Used to be a good trapping spot. Now it is a mud hole, slowly regenerating to forest.

Ron

#23860 - 06/28/16 08:14 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
jmbloom3 Offline

Loc: Ohio,Fairfield county

These pictures were taken with a Browning Strike Force HD camera. I bought it in November of 2015. I put in Duracell Red batterys in , and they still show about 55% charge left. I have some Moultrie cameras and Wildgame Innovation cameras. I will post some from them later.

#23861 - 06/28/16 09:14 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Tell you what guys all of those pictures are pretty sharp! I'm looking at the twigs and rocks across the creek, for an unmanned camera, that's not bad! That's a nice bear too!

The Browning cameras would have been 2nd or 3rd on my list, I just didn't have any feedback about them. In my wholesale catalog, I could have added another $40 to the price of my Stealth and got two of them. They have a good review, but they are new. Kind of untested, at the time. But those are very nice pictures!

The Cudde/back cameras are top of the line, but expensive. Just like Ron told us, that sure would be enough to PO a feller if the darned thing came up missing!

#23862 - 06/28/16 09:40 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
DEP Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Lucasville Ohio
These are some taken on a Bushnell my wife bought me 3 years ago.

Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.