Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
#23863 - 06/29/16 02:43 AM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: DEP]
DEP Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Lucasville Ohio

#23864 - 06/29/16 02:45 AM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: DEP]
DEP Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Lucasville Ohio

Sorry this is the first time I posted pictures .

Edited by DEP (06/29/16 02:46 AM)

#23865 - 06/29/16 12:46 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Here's a link I just found:

http://www.reviewlab.com/best-trail-came...CFYFahgod72sLFw

Before I bought my camera I found another link, it was a short video and listed the pros and cons of different models. Then I just picked out something in my price range.

I just looked at some of the pictures from my old camera, they're not nearly as crisp and clean as the pictures above. Forget what year I bought the thing?, but like I said above it'd eat up $10 worth of batteries every 2 weeks.

With this new camera, it took it's first picture on April 5th, other than 2 or 3 days here at the house, it's been taking pictures. On the same set of batteries!

As far as someone finding and stealing your camera, I really think it's best to put it up high, and angle it down. Even if you'd stand on a 5-gallon bucket you could mount it up above eye level.

Last fall, I found 2 trail cams, both were mounted about 4 feet above ground level. Black strap wrapped around a white tree, I spotted Moe's from 40 yards. Black on white at eye level, about the best contrast you can get.

There a lot of folks that would find something like that, and think: "I've been wanting one of those trail camera things". And it's gone!

If a man would be really worried about it, you could even take a small step ladder and mount it up 10 feet or better. Drag the ladder around the corner and kick some leaves over it, until the next time you wanted to change SD cards.

#23866 - 06/29/16 01:42 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: redsnow

With this new camera, it took it's first picture on April 5th, other than 2 or 3 days here at the house, it's been taking pictures. On the same set of batteries!

Exactly which camera is that!!

#23867 - 06/29/16 02:41 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I decided on a Stealth model, G42NG. I bought it online for $115, free shipping.

For that price, it seems like a good camera. I'll check my catalogs, I was really thinking about getting 2 of the new Browning models, for another $30 or so. I'm kind of shy about trying new stuff, but it seems they are very good machines.

Friend of mine just found some brand for $50 each. The man has 5 or 6 cameras, and they're all different. One takes AA batteries, some take C's, some take D's. Use setting #2 on this camera, setting A on one camera and setting X on the next one, etc. That'd be complicated as hell trying to keep up with all that stuff.

So far, this little Stealth camera has done a good job for me.

#23868 - 06/29/16 03:20 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

That's my camera. Moe's camera is just a little bigger, it's a Moultrie. Moe has emailed me lots of pictures from his camera, they look clear and crisp too. Here on the computer I can zoom in and see lots of detail.

My old Moultrie camera is almost the size of a sheet of paper. It's sitting here, I just measured it, it's right at 8"x9", and will go through batteries like nobody's business!

#23869 - 06/29/16 10:31 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
jmbloom3 Offline

Loc: Ohio,Fairfield county

These pictures are from a Moultrie 990i.It has good battery life.Have to change batterys maybe twice a year. My cameras are out year round.

#23870 - 06/30/16 02:22 AM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well those are all nice pictures too.

Let me ask JMB, is the date on the pictures pretty well right? Looks to me like the buck deer is pretty much finished growing. Still in velvet, but looks like he's about done. If the date is right, we've got another month to grow.

Can't tell for sure, but looks like a little side road going off to the right. Pretty good crossing!

I skimmed through one of my catalogs today, looks like the cameras have went up in price $15 or $20. I didn't see the Browning brand listed, but unless they have an item in stock, it won't be listed in their flyers/sale papers.

Here in another few weeks, I'll have saved enough in battery money to pay for my new camera. It is pretty interesting.

#23871 - 06/30/16 09:40 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
jmbloom3 Offline

Loc: Ohio,Fairfield county

These pictures are from a Moultrie 1100i. Has good battery life.
The date on the picture of the buck is correct.

#23872 - 06/30/16 09:51 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, our local DNR biologist (Lee Strawn) stopped by this morning, he's doing some kind of bobcat DNA study. While we were talking he showed me 3 different trail cam videos on his cell phone. I told him about our discussion here on the forum and asked him what brand of cameras he was using and what he liked best.

He's using Bushnell, Browning and Moultrie. I told him about my Stealth, said he hadn't tried them yet, but seemed like he had intentions of giving them a try.

He said they all have their pros and cons. While he showed me the videos, the Browning had the best picture quality, sound too. I could hear that bobcat walking in the leaves, and that was just on his cell phone! He also said that he'd found tracks or scat, in areas where he had the Moultrie cameras set, and for what ever reason?, the camera didn't catch it. Maybe it was foggy?

Take all of that for what it's worth, but I have a lot of respect for Lee, he's a good trapper too.

Told him that we were talking about theft, told him I liked to mount my camera high and angle it down. He said it's either got to be mounted here (with his hand about 18" off or the floor) or here (with his hand over his head). Someplace where people aren't looking.

Pretty neat about that bobcat study, he said with the root of one hair, there would be enough DNA to identify individual animals. That's amazing.

Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.