Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 6 of 18 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
#23895 - 07/11/16 11:37 AM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Here's a picture dated 7/1/16. I cropped the picture so you can see it better, see how dark it's face is? And notice the black stuff on it's left shoulder, those are flies.

Side by side with the other bucks, this deer is a little bigger. Taller and has heavier.

#23897 - 07/11/16 02:04 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
jmbloom3 Offline

Loc: Ohio,Fairfield county

#23898 - 07/11/16 02:06 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
jmbloom3 Offline

The first picture is this years crop of turkeys.

The second picture just above center is a Mink.

What's your guess on the third.

#23899 - 07/12/16 11:30 AM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

My first thought would be a bobcat. One nice thing about having in on the computer where you can zoom in.

The other day when I was talking with the DNR officer, he was telling me that sometimes bobcats would walk right up to his cameras. I've read about all of the different types of "flashes" on trail cams, some are a "red no glow" or something like that? But he was taking videos.

Honestly, I've never looked at my camera in the dark, I'm not sure if the flash is visible to the human or bobcat eye? If it is I'd say you'd need to be looking directly at it, when it flashed. Not sure?

Wasn't sure about the mink, thought maybe a crow. Nice hatch of turkey chicks, if that's all from one hen.

I'd like to have another camera, maybe 2. There is a little spring, back on the side of the mountain, I'd like to have one watching it. That's the first place I set up my old trail cam. It's a long way from there to the next drink of water, it's a hot spot.

#23900 - 07/12/16 10:28 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
jmbloom3 Offline

The camera I have taking videos is to the right of the mink, and I have video of him running past.

The last one, Bobcat was my guess too. That camera is about four feet off the ground.

Had video of the turkeys too, and that was one hen.

#23901 - 07/12/16 10:34 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
Redsnow,

Remember reading up above that I had 2 cameras stolen this past fall? Well, I just ordered a Stealth G42-NG trail cam on line from Jet.com. The price was about $115. no tax and free shipping. I think that is the one you have and it seems to work great. So---thanks!

Ron

#23902 - 07/13/16 11:44 AM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, I think for the price, it'll do the job for you! All of the pictures above are plenty sharp enough. If we can zoom in and see flies on a deer at 25', and we're getting mink and squirrels at the same range, that's pretty good.

Ron, I went back up and looked at your pictures, remember the big bear coming out the path? The way that camera is mounted, there's no way a man/thief could walk that path and not see that camera.

Lots of different ways of trying to hide something. But in that situation, I'd try to find a little opening, and set the camera off to the side 15 or 20 feet, watching the trail. Could even nail on a little branch up around the camera. Someone just walking the trail, wouldn't be likely to notice it.

It is pretty neat to check, sort of like catch and release hunting or trapping.

#23903 - 07/13/16 01:20 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
ron finewood Offline

Thanks, Redsnow. I will try to conceal the camera better from now on. And, yes----checking the cameras is much like checking traps. Very enjoyable!

Ron

#23904 - 07/13/16 02:48 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
And like traps, you're taking your chances when you leave them out during deer season. smile -- Hal

#23905 - 07/13/16 03:56 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
ron finewood Offline

Yes, Hal! I shall remember that advice! It's kinda like the barn door and the horse story.

Page 6 of 18 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.