Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 10 of 18 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
#23984 - 08/08/16 11:40 AM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Here's one thing that I found.

Specific straight-walled cartridge rifles are legal for use during Ohio’s 2014 deer-gun and youth deer-gun seasons.

These specific straight-walled cartridge rifles are legal for deer hunting: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson. Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles may have no more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined while deer hunting.

Ohio’s 2014-2015 deer hunting seasons include:
• Archery: Sept. 27, 2014-Feb. 1, 2015.
• Antlerless muzzleloader: Oct. 11-12, 2014.
• Youth gun: Nov. 22-23, 2014.
• Gun: Dec. 1-7, 2014.
• Muzzleloader: Jan. 2-5, 2015.

I just checked, Thompson Center does offer some of those calibers in their Encore/Pro hunter models.

Looking at the archery season, that's 4 months.

I understand the reasoning for Ohio's rifle laws, but here in West Virginia the DNR has been having "controlled hunts" on some of our state parks and WMA's, and they'll specify that you need to be at least 10 feet above ground level.

I've read through the paperwork, way too much BS just to go hunting! I read one thing last fall, the DNR specified which tree you had to hunt from! The permits were issued through a drawing, lots of red tape.

#23985 - 08/08/16 04:55 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
My daughter lives in Maryland, close to DC. There a deer everywhere because they have some regulation that you have to leave so much, "undeveloped" land around the sprawling condominiums. The state owns a lot of that land. It is designated "park" by very loose definition. They also have controlled hunts on that land. As you mentioned, they have to hunt from a raised platform so all the shots quickly land on the ground. Furthermore in some, if not all of these hunts, they are required to shoot buckshot. In the fall you will see signs posted all over the place that the park will be closed on such and such days, to allow for these hunts.

#23988 - 08/08/16 10:19 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Here's one of the emails that the DNR sent me last fall.

Applications being accepted for two controlled deer hunts in 2015:
Pipestem Resort State Park and Cacapon Resort State Park

SOUTH CHARLESTON, W.Va. – Applications are being accepted for controlled deer hunts at two West Virginia state parks in 2015. Controlled white-tailed deer hunts are scheduled at Pipestem Resort State Park (Summers County) Nov. 16, 17, 18 and at Cacapon Resort State Park (Morgan County) Dec. 7, 8, 9.

Monitoring of the deer population and surveys conducted by wildlife and state parks personnel revealed a high deer density on these state park properties, according to Bob Fala, Director of the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources (DNR). “When you have too many deer in one area, there is not enough available vegetation for them to browse, which affects the health of the entire deer population in that area,” Fala explained. “The results of previous controlled hunts have proven to be a responsible resource management tool.”

Cooperative efforts among the DNR Parks and Recreation, Wildlife, and Law Enforcement sections have proven these special hunts to be safe and successful during previous events.

“Overpopulation of the white-tailed deer herd is an ongoing challenge facing the state park system,” said West Virginia State Parks Chief Sam England. “This method of population control has been used in some West Virginia state parks since 2001. The positive effects of these hunts on the surrounding vegetation and the herds’ health have become apparent.”

Applications for the controlled hunts are available at www.wvhunt.com. Each applicant must, if they have not already, create an account on the Electronic Licensing and Game Checking System. Once logged in, the applicant must select “Enter Lottery.” The applicant then must select which controlled hunt(s) for which they would like to apply. Hunters also may apply by calling Pipestem Resort State Park at 304-466-2804, or Cacapon Resort State Park at 304-258-1022. However, the most efficient method of applying for the controlled hunt is by using www.wvhunt.com, which allows for 24/7 access to the application process.

Applications must be completed by midnight on Aug. 15, 2015. Forty hunters will be randomly selected for each day at Pipestem Resort State Park and 30 hunters each day for Cacapon Resort State Park. Two Class Q (hunting permit for persons disabled in lower extremities) stands are available each day. Successful applicants will be notified after Oct. 1 for the date they were selected to hunt.

Unsuccessful applicants will not be notified. Applicants may check to see if they were selected by logging into the Electronic Licensing and Game Checking System after Aug. 17. For additional information, contact Pipestem Resort State Park at 304-466-2804 or Cacapon Resort State Park at 304-258-1022.

Application Information

Hunters may apply to hunt on one or both of the state parks, but will only be able to apply for one lottery hunt for each area. Each hunter may take one deer at each hunt. Deer harvested do not count against a hunter’s annual deer season bag limit.

Only antlerless deer may be taken during this hunt, except that each day of the hunt an on-site lottery will be held which will allow up to five hunters to hunt a deer of either sex. Instructions on the application must be followed. All applications must be received through the electronic applications system before midnight Aug. 15, 2015.

Applicants must select which lottery hunt they want to participate in: rifle, archery (bow/crossbow), or Class Q. Hunters must possess a valid Class Q permit to apply for the Class Q slots. Each hunter, except Class Q holders, MUST provide their own climbing tree stand. Ladder stands will not be permitted due to the limited room during transportation. Lock-on stands will be permitted as long as strap-on style steps or ladder sticks are used. Screw-in steps will not be permitted. Tree stands must be adjustable to trees up to 18 inches in diameter. Hunters must hunt from the designated trees to which they are assigned.

Agency personnel will transport hunters from the registration area to their stand locations. All hunters must provide and wear a safety harness while in the tree stand. All hunters, even those hunting with archery (bows/crossbows) must wear a minimum of 400 square inches of blaze orange.

Each hunter must possess a valid West Virginia hunting license (or be legally exempt from purchasing a license) on the day of the hunt. Successful applicants for this hunt will be contacted with more detailed information regarding this controlled hunt. Unsuccessful applicants will be eligible for a lottery drawing the morning of the hunt to fill “no show” sites. Those wishing to enter the morning lottery must arrive and register at the registration area between 5 and 5:45 a.m. to be entered into the lottery.

West Virginia Division of Natural Resources hunting regulations will apply to this hunt. The 2015 hunting regulations brochures will be available soon at license agents and online at www.wvdnr.gov .

***DNR***

I first read that email 7/6/2015. Cacapon State Park is 90 miles from here, and Pipestem is even farther away. I like to hunt new areas, check out new ground and all, but when the DNR specifies which tree that I need to be in, that's a little bit too much! I might not like that spot. But I understand that they don't want anyone hurt, and I understand that some people don't have better places to hunt. But, a little organization would go a long way, as far as thinning the deer herd.

If you'd have 30 people, fifteen hunting through the woods, 150 yards apart and 15 watching, more than likely someone is going to get a shot. Fifteen hunters, 100 yards apart would make a swath almost a mile wide. Drive 200 acres, and switch off, watchers hunt through the next time.

The one hunt club that I belong to, that's what we do, Saturday of the first week of season. Guess it's about 1,500 acres, but we'll shake them up! At least get them up on their feet, and moving.

#23991 - 08/09/16 07:21 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

I'm sure this is a safety first deal. But it does look like you have to spring for a "climbing tree stand" to participate. If your DNR is going to be so fussy, and they need the deer killed, maybe they should provide the stands.

#23994 - 08/10/16 11:39 AM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I agree it's a safety issue. I'm not familiar with either one of these state parks, but it's a good thing that at least the DNR and Park folks open them up for hunting, even if there are a ton of restrictions.

If a man would live there close by, and didn't have any other place to hunt, sounds like you'd have a good chance at tagging a nice doe.

http://www.cacaponresort.com/

At 6,000 acres, with zero hunting pressure for years and years, good chance there are some decent bucks too.

I've been getting reports of some nice bucks being spotted. I'm anxious to check my camera, it is pretty neat!

#23996 - 08/10/16 07:36 PM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

Originally Posted By: redsnow
zero hunting pressure for years and years

Might be a chance to shoot some big deer that ain't fit to eat too. smile smile

#23997 - 08/11/16 02:11 AM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I remember years ago, my old buddy Rabbit and a bunch of us were out doe hunting. Rabbit said there was an old doe that walked up to him, he said her neck was 3 feet long, figured she'd be tough as a pine knot. So he didn't blast her.

3 or 4 weeks ago, the DNR started issuing "crop damage permits", in this area. Friend of mine got 3 permits, for his sweet corn patch, DNR restricted him to using a bow. He lives in a little "development".

I've shot a good many deer on crop damage permits, it's too hot now to mess with them. Depending on the situation, sometimes it's legal to spotlight deer, I've always preferred to hunt at daylight, maybe until 9am or so.

But talking about these big, old, and tough deer, I shot one a few years ago, for a female, she was a horse! I wrote it down someplace, I forget what her tenderloins weighed each? They were huge! And very tasty!

But, you know this time of year, a fresh tenderloin on the grill sounds good to me!

Kind of a difficult subject to talk about, some folks don't agree with crop damage permits. But, after looking at things from the farmers point of view, you've got to do something.

#23999 - 08/12/16 02:10 AM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Not sure if you could call that a "mane" on the deer on the left? But look at the ribs on the doe on the right of the picture. Her fawn(s) are pulling her down. The fawns look like a set of twins, and a single.

I didn't get many pictures this time. Moe's camera is about a half mile from mine, he got a picture of a small bear on 8/10.

#24012 - 08/19/16 11:40 AM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I checked my trail camera yesterday, I have a picture of 6 different bucks, all in one photo.

I have an 8-point, I think he's about finished growing. Then there is a deer beside the 8pt, it's got 4 points now, but it looks like he's going to grow another point, on both sides.

I've suspected this for the last few weeks, I'm pretty sure my bud Moe has been screwing with my camera. I think he's been changing SD cards, I'm not getting pictures on some days.

He's been working outta town since Tuesday, yesterday I put a padlock on the camera. I'll bet that I'll have Moe on camera next check. It's a heck of a note! lol

#24013 - 08/20/16 11:30 AM Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Here's the 8-pt and the 4 pt. Notice the little "nubs" at the tip of each point, of the 4 point. I'd say his antlers are still growing.

They're all bucks in this picture. The one facing to the right

Page 10 of 18 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.