Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#24015 - 08/21/16 08:49 PM Trouble with Speed Dip
Fatdawg Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Bedford, PA
This is my first and possibly last time using Speed Dip. I mixed according to the directions on the can with Colman fuel. Dipped traps 5 1/2 weeks ago and they are still very, very tacky. They have been hanging outside sense I dipped them. Weather here has been consistent mid to lowers 70's at night and highs upper 80's to mid 90's during the day. Not sure of humidity percentage but it was humid.

I need to get these traps cured and packed into totes ASAP. What can I do to get them cured? Thought about making a heat tent using a propane heater and some tarps. Would the increase temperature cure them in say a few hours?

Any and all replies and suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

#24016 - 08/22/16 12:26 AM Re: Trouble with Speed Dip [Re: Fatdawg]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
I know you said you followed the directions.

Which brand of "speed dip" did you use

and

What was the ratio of speed dip to coleman fuel

#24017 - 08/22/16 01:52 AM Re: Trouble with Speed Dip [Re: Ric]
Fatdawg Offline
Initiate Member

Originally Posted By: Ric
I know you said you followed the directions.

Which brand of "speed dip" did you use

and

What was the ratio of speed dip to coleman fuel

Andy Stoes Speed Dip
1 gal fuel to 1 can dip

#24018 - 08/22/16 09:51 AM Re: Trouble with Speed Dip [Re: Fatdawg]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Are they all tacky or just some of them?

Thee reason I am asking is because if you didn't mix properly the dip goes to the bottom and you are dipping more in the dip than in the fuel/dip. This will take longer to dry.

Your traps should be dry. What I would do is take a couple of sticky traps. dip them in pure fuel and swish them around a little, then hang them. See what that will do.

You could also try a fan on them.

#24021 - 08/22/16 12:06 PM Re: Trouble with Speed Dip [Re: Fatdawg]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
OK, your mix shouldn't be the problem.

Musher's post is a good one to look at.

High humidity will slow down the drying a bit. But your 51/2 weeks is way to long.

Were your traps preped well before you dipped them (old coatings removed)?

#24023 - 08/22/16 01:35 PM Re: Trouble with Speed Dip [Re: Fatdawg]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
5.5 weeks is long enough even if the humidity is 90%. I dipped some a week ago today, and they are dry now. I never used "Speed Dip" (Andy Stoe's). I used Blackie's which morphed into KBL (Katz) brand. I cut 1 to 4 with lantern fuel.

Musher is correct in observing that you do have to stir this stuff really, really, really, well before you use it, or the base settles to the bottom.

#24024 - 08/22/16 04:41 PM Re: Trouble with Speed Dip [Re: Fatdawg]
Fatdawg Offline
Initiate Member

Traps were cleaned and rusted before dipping. I think I had the dip mixed well before starting and I stirred after every two dips.

I have a couple traps that I did not dip yet. I'm going to thin the mix a little more and use my paint mixing drill attachment to mix the dip and see what happens.

#24050 - 08/31/16 02:43 PM Re: Trouble with Speed Dip [Re: Fatdawg]
Fatdawg Offline
Initiate Member

UPDATE: I soaked all those dipped traps in vinegar, power washed, soda bathed and then boiled. Tossed out to rust again and redipped.
I added an additional half gallon of coleman fuel to the mix making it 1 1/2 gal fuel to one qt of dip. They were all but dry to the touch in two days.

With this thinned mix they are going to need dipped again. How long should I wait to dip again?

THANKS!!

#24057 - 09/01/16 02:58 PM Re: Trouble with Speed Dip [Re: Fatdawg]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
When the are dry. You're probably good to redip right now.

#24058 - 09/01/16 03:36 PM Re: Trouble with Speed Dip [Re: Fatdawg]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Originally Posted By: Fatdawg
Traps were cleaned and rusted before dipping. I think I had the dip mixed well before starting and I stirred after every two dips.

I have a couple traps that I did not dip yet. I'm going to thin the mix a little more and use my paint mixing drill attachment to mix the dip and see what happens.

I'm not sure the drill is a good idea. Naphta fumes are very explosive. The smallest spark could leave your face in a burned mess.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.