Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#2338 - 01/23/06 09:45 AM shiny foil on trap pan for coons
ratsnatcher Offline

Loc: Verona
is it a good idea to put tin foil on te trap pan to make coons stop playing with quest your traps??

#2339 - 01/23/06 12:28 PM Re: shiny foil on trap pan for coons
cjstrapping Offline
Member+

Loc: NorthWest Ohio
I'm a bit confused on the latter part of your question. "Quest"?? Unless you are setting the trap in shallow water, and using the foil specifically for eye appeal, I would not put foil on your trap. Use a pocket set or dirt hole to keep the coon pre-occupied working your set, and position and bed your trap accordingly, bedded of course.

#2340 - 01/23/06 08:01 PM Re: shiny foil on trap pan for coons
Paul Fox Offline

Loc: Deckerville mi.
I wouldn't use tin foil on your coon traps.

#2341 - 01/24/06 02:12 AM Re: shiny foil on trap pan for coons
trap jaw Offline

Loc: Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania
I'm with Paul, I wouldn't use foil. I have tried it years ago and found no value in it at all.

#2342 - 01/24/06 07:39 AM Re: shiny foil on trap pan for coons
Wm Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, Virginia
I have not tried foil but I have tried white spray paint. 2 weeks ago, I trapped my biggest coon of the season in a 1.5 CS, the pan of which I had spray painted white. I set the trap in about an inch of water immediately adjacent to the shoreline just downstream from an outlet pipe on a tiny peninsula and placed the trap in a bed of brown leaves that gave the white pan good visual contrast. I poured frying pan grease on a sapling about 2 feet beyond the trap and also on the ground leading to the trap. I assume this set offered good eye appeal for the coon and would like to think that a possum, and maybe a dog, would not be as likely to go for it? It was also an easy/quick set to make. The front foot of the coon was caught and the jaws were about in the middle of the palm.

My belief is that the coon did not just randomly step on the trap pan but stepped on it for the eye appeal.

I realize this is a sample size of one but it at least worked this time. I would appreciate any constructive criticism of this method.

Wm

#2343 - 01/24/06 09:06 AM Re: shiny foil on trap pan for coons
cjstrapping Offline
Member+

Loc: NorthWest Ohio
Wm and ratsnatcher...nothing to criticize, all trial and error for many, and this site only benefits from others comments. What works for some may or may not work for others. I typically bed or conceal (water) traps for coon, but have on occasion, when I've run out of bait, used foil on a pan. Raccoon are inquisitive by nature, and if a trap can be submerged in shallow water, bedded with only a shiny pan exposed, it can pick up an occasional coon.

#2344 - 01/24/06 09:52 AM Re: shiny foil on trap pan for coons
NEbowhunter Offline

Loc: Holdrege, Nebraska
I don't mind some shiney eye appeal, but not on the trap. i've used split clam shells shined up behind the trap for eye appeal. shiney, yet still natural.

#2345 - 01/24/06 11:14 AM Re: shiny foil on trap pan for coons
skipper Offline

Loc: .Manheim Pennslvania
I have used the shiney foil on my pan quite often by its self It's a fair set but when you have a attrictive oder nearby that they can't see that is the clincher here.the paws start going all over the place trying to find the source.
My best set using this methoud is a trap just infront of a flat rock that sticks out of the water about 2" the rock is smeared with shellfish paste or oil that cant be seen! If it can be seen then the coon work the bait not the trap.I should of added that the trap is also under water.

#2346 - 01/24/06 12:03 PM Re: shiny foil on trap pan for coons
Brad Heusterberg Offline

Loc: Stevens Point, WI
In my opinon it is not a good idea. I would rather use bait or lure. In think that by exposing the pan you will have many coons avoid the trap. If the coons can't see the trap and your set is a good one, you will catch more coons.

#24110 - 09/21/16 10:43 AM Re: shiny foil on trap pan for coons [Re: ratsnatcher]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.