Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#7910 - 01/09/06 06:16 PM Ultimate muskrat float set
skinner69 Offline

Loc: stillwater,new york
Here's a float set for muskrats that i just learned a few weeks ago and it works the nuts,and its alot easier then building your own.You will need the following;old car tire on the rim that will hold air-narrow width type,2 pieces of 4 foot long 1/2" rebar,heavy tine garden rake,16 ga. wire,your choice of footholds for rats.Take your tire and rim and wire 2-3 traps to the lug holes of the rim,put your tire in 2-3 feet of water depth-it will float but settle just enuf for the rats to climb on.Stick your 2 4 foot pieces of rebar thru the 2 other lug holes and into the creek or lake bottom.Now rake up a bunch of lily stems and root or whatever you can dredge off the bottom and pile it on the tire so you have vegetation hanging off all around the tire.Make 2-3 small beds for your traps and just set them there with a few wet leaves over the trap to cover.I add a little muskrat lure to the tire in front of each trap to try and steer the rats directly to the trap.Rats hit the trap,jump off and drown and the other traps are still ready for action.if the water rises the tire and rim slide up the rebar with no problem.Never thought it would work till i tried it,set 2 tires with 4 traps and had 3 rats next morning.

#7911 - 01/09/06 06:31 PM Re: Ultimate muskrat float set
derekd Offline

Loc: southern il
Funny how things come around. I have been building different type floats for 2 years trying to find one i liked, and i never did, all out of ideas and bam heres one. I commercial fish and see literally thousands of these float by every year

#7912 - 01/13/06 10:36 AM Re: Ultimate muskrat float set
meanbean Offline

Loc: Haralson Co. GA.
watch out for water quality controllers if you get caught putting a tire in the waters of GA. you could go to jail on or off the rim. eek

#7913 - 01/13/06 01:42 PM Re: Ultimate muskrat float set
skinner69 Offline

Loc: stillwater,new york
Glad we don't have those water quality controllers up here!I checked with our local DEC guys before putting the tire floats out and they had no problem with it as long as my traps were properly tagged and the tires were secure and couldn't float away AND i was going to remove them when done.

#7914 - 01/14/06 10:32 AM Re: Ultimate muskrat float set
Otterwater0566 Offline

Loc: Austin, AR
What works best, Ford or Chevy??? I couldn't resist...I will try this today.

#24117 - 09/21/16 10:46 AM Re: Ultimate muskrat float set [Re: skinner69]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.