Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2423 - 12/28/05 08:53 AM Pink Coyote Bellys
NEbowhunter Offline

Loc: Holdrege, Nebraska
Every year end up with a few coyotes with some pink on the belly between the back legs. Alot of buyers will try to dock for mainge. Is this a legitimate "dock" and if so, does anyone have any secrets on getting rid of this, i.e, bleaching or tumbling in something or rub on something....etc. anything to make the pelts more presentable.

#2424 - 12/28/05 02:38 PM Re: Pink Coyote Bellys
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
First, you need to differentiate between "pink" as in skin color, and "pink" as in a rash.

Every coyote I catch in Ohio has a pink belly. But not every one has mange (although plenty do). Generally, these coyotes show a pink belly because they are not well furred underneath, and thus not the best specimens of coyote you can find. I would not be surprised if you get a lower price for these coyotes as opposed to those that are fully furred.

There is really nothing you can do to change the skin color of a coyote, this would not increase the fur density anyway. And, likewise, there is no way to add fur to a coyote after it is dead.

smile -- Hal

#2425 - 12/28/05 03:07 PM Re: Pink Coyote Bellys
NEbowhunter Offline

Pink as in pink hair on underbelly. Pink skin but also pink hair. some with a little less belly fur and others with normal amount of belly fur, its just pink (mainge). Beautiful coyote otherwise.

#2426 - 12/28/05 03:32 PM Re: Pink Coyote Bellys
Hal Offline

I don't know what "mainge" is.

confused -- Hal

#2427 - 12/28/05 03:51 PM Re: Pink Coyote Bellys
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
I catch a few every year with pinkish fur on the belly. My wife (a vet) says it's mange. She called the name but I cant remember it and couldnt spell it if I did. I'm just a country boy but it has something to do with inflamed hair roots. Its also more of a southern thing.

#2428 - 12/28/05 04:37 PM Re: Pink Coyote Bellys
NEbowhunter Offline

Mainge. Central nebraska term for mange. Same thing only different.

#2429 - 12/28/05 05:14 PM Re: Pink Coyote Bellys
Hal Offline

I didn't know that was an indiciator of mange.

I thought we were just talking about coyotes with thin belly fur.

smile -- Hal

#2430 - 12/28/05 05:19 PM Re: Pink Coyote Bellys
jwr Offline

Yes sir but 99% of the time it has to do with the humidity and warm temps of the south,

#2431 - 12/29/05 08:42 AM Re: Pink Coyote Bellys
Hal Offline

I would like to know more about this. Ask your wife if she can explain it, please.

smile -- Hal

#2432 - 12/29/05 09:08 AM Re: Pink Coyote Bellys
shewlf2b Offline

Loc: washington
Do fleas also cause that pink in the hair?

#2433 - 12/29/05 10:49 AM Re: Pink Coyote Bellys
jwr Offline

Fleas can cause a redish tint but if you wash the pelt the tint will wash out. The coyotes down here with the mange problem will almost always have pink hair down in the ears also.

#2434 - 12/29/05 12:33 PM Re: Pink Coyote Bellys
NEbowhunter Offline

jwr. it almost seems like a separate strain of mange like maybe whatever your wife called it. we get it in nebraska quite a bit with the pink belly fur. you also get the loss of under fur on the neck, but they will not always have both. makes me think its another strain of some sorts.

#2435 - 01/03/06 09:43 AM Re: Pink Coyote Bellys
chuckieo Offline

Loc: Stoneboro, Pennsylvania
If it is just the hair that is pink I would say it is urine stain.

#2436 - 01/03/06 10:46 AM Re: Pink Coyote Bellys
WACKYQUACKER Offline

Loc: CORRALES, NM
There was a famous fly tier from up-state NY name of Art Flick. His light Hendrickson dry fly called for body dubbing of URINE BURNED Fox. Any one want to guess what color the white belly fur of a red fox turns when it becomes "urine burned"? If you guessed a pinkish color you are correct. This fur was highly prized by dry fly tiers and few, if any, commercial attempts yielded an accurate match.

I have noticed similar discolorations in bitch coyotes from time to time. It is somewhat un common...maybe a dietary issue with certain food stuffs effecting the "staining" quality of urine. This sort of thing (dye / pigment concentration in the urine) is pretty well understood. Various antibiotics, vitamins etc., are cleared so fast that incredible concentrations can be reached in bladder urine. In WWII we captured urine from soldiers being given penicillin, re-purified the penicillin and used it in the next patient.

Hope this helps some.

(note in press; just noticed cuckeo's post after posting since I typed this I'll leave it)

#2437 - 01/03/06 07:46 PM Re: Pink Coyote Bellys
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I've seen that pink color on a few wild canids. On domestics it is fairly common. The next time you see one of those small,yuppy dogs with fuzzy faces check out the mouth hair. Lots of pet food has beets in it and that dyes the fur.

I'm not saying that the wild ones eat beets BUT diet is a factor in fur appearance.

#21768 - 12/13/14 11:43 AM Re: Pink Coyote Bellys [Re: NEbowhunter]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.