Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#24465 - 01/06/17 07:53 PM Season Tally thus far
Piglet209 Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Illinois

One smaller beaver, and one full size adult both in blind sets (footholds) on drowners. I am very pleased that my drowning rigs worked perfectly. I am not the most mechanically gifted person so this is definitely a "win" for me. I figured my stuff would tangle up or fail somehow, but they worked like I knew what I was doing.

Two coon, in land sets in between the beaver pond and the cornfield. Both coon fell prey to a honey and grape-flavored lure I made. There are no grapes anywhere near where I trap, but I figured coons would like the sweet scent and they did.

I have caught ZERO canines thus far, but have caught 4 possum in canine sets. We definitely have lots of possums in Illinois. I release these unharmed. I don't want to come off as a snob, but I find possum disgusting and refuse to skin them. I just think they're stupid, nasty, and I want no part of them.

I have yet to bag a mink, but I found a dead one so at the very least I know one was around, sometime. I only put out one mink set and thus far it is undisturbed.

Fortunately, this is a hobby because I won't get wealthy from this kind of fur production considering I spent over $280 in supplies before the season! Just thought you might like to see my results so far from my small-scale weekend trapline.

Interestingly, I KNOW we have canines around. I have train tracks that run right behind my house. Sometimes at night when the trains go by, coyote will howl at the train. I did not know they did this, but I have asked around and others have told me they do this. So I know they are around but I only have permission on a small area so I can't run any kind of major trapline for them. But, haven't caught one yet. Season's still young!

#24466 - 01/06/17 10:27 PM Re: Season Tally thus far [Re: Piglet209]
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
Congratulations! Sounds like you are having fun.

Ron

#24467 - 01/07/17 12:16 AM Re: Season Tally thus far [Re: Piglet209]
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
They will howl at noon time whistles from towns also. If you are froze up in your area a good spot for mink now would be around beaver dams, especially ones with some open water around them. Just make sure to anchor your traps good enough to hold a beaver.

#24471 - 01/08/17 04:20 PM Re: Season Tally thus far [Re: Piglet209]
RoadDawg Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
You should kill those possums or you'll catch them next year too!

#24472 - 01/09/17 02:16 AM Re: Season Tally thus far [Re: RoadDawg]
Dfabs Offline

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
Let a possum go today, catch a possum tomorrow with a sore foot.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.