Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#24582 - 02/27/17 07:43 AM Unable to kneel down
gman Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: New York
Would putting down a plastic garbage bag to sit on while making canine sets be adequate to keep scent away ? I realize it will take me longer this way to make a set than the traditional way of kneeling down. Unfortunately ,I'm unable to kneel down and I'm concerned about contaminating the set this way. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#24583 - 02/27/17 07:53 AM Re: Unable to kneel down [Re: gman]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Don't worry about the contamination factor to much.. You got to do what you have to do. How about sitting? Maybe those small collapsible stools that backpackers use would work for you

#24584 - 02/27/17 08:58 AM Re: Unable to kneel down [Re: gman]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Maybe you could sit on a five gallon bucket? If you really have to sit, maybe it would be good to spread out a piece of plastic, but honestly it's not going to matter all that much, except maybe on a remake. I wouldn't want to sit a catch circle contaminate with urine and feces.

#24585 - 02/27/17 10:28 AM Re: Unable to kneel down [Re: gman]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
We had a demo at one of our state rondies about just your topic. I think Trapper Art was one of the demonstrators. His problem was not the kneeling so much as it was getting down and back up again. However, there was one fella who found a way to stand and make his sets. If you have two whole legs, you basically start out with your feet as far apart as physically possible and bend over from there. This, of course, is not done at the spur of the moment, but with conditioning all summer for it. Warm up exercises first followed by sincere stretching movements. Sort of like touching your toes, on steroids! Perhaps a visit with your primary care physician first would be prudent. After several months of conditioning you're now able to at least get closer to the ground. This dude also mentioned longer handled tools, although they are a little clumsier to use. If you have to wear a prosthesis, then some experimenting is in order. Just know your physical limitations, and don't hurt yourself!

Frank.

#24586 - 02/28/17 12:59 PM Re: Unable to kneel down [Re: gman]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Here's a link to a discussion we had a while back:

http://sullivansline.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=60&Number=338#Post338

In the original thread I mentioned using a "splitting maul" for driving stakes. Just start the stake with a small hammer (or bump it a few times) and let gravity do the work with the big hammer.

Most of you guys are familiar with a "digging bar", but if you're not, it's also got a "tamp" on the other end. Once you get the stake started, and pound on it with that digging bar, something is going to go. And you can do it standing up.

Just thinking about it now, driving stakes is probably going to be one of the bigger problems.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.