Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#24646 - 03/17/17 03:05 PM Senate Bill to Make Travel with Firearm Easier
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Senate Introduces Bill to Make Travel with Firearms Less of a Headache

Credit: Outdoor Hub.

A bill was introduced on March 14, 2017, that would make traveling with guns and ammunition – for legal gun owners, of course – across state lines less of a headache.

Bill S.618 is designed to “amend chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, to more comprehensively address the interstate transportation of firearms or ammunition.” In other words, the bill is meant to better suit and protect the rights of law-abiding gun owners who want to travel state to state with their firearms.

“This bill safeguards our Second Amendment rights by strengthening federal protections for responsible gun owners travelling across state lines,” said U.S. Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah in a statement. “By amending the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act of 1986, this commonsense proposal puts an end to the harassment of upstanding citizens who happen to stay overnight, fuel up, or stop for an emergency during their travels in another state.”

Let’s get down to the nitty gritty of the bill, which by the way had several prominent GOP co-sponsors, including Texas Senators Ted Cruz and John Cornyn.

The bill would simply allow a traveler who is 100% lawfully able to possess a firearm, ammo or magazines to transport them willingly throughout the country, under certain restrictions, of course. The gun would have to be unloaded or, if in a vehicle, not directly accessible to any passengers.

There have been plenty of incidents where travelers found themselves in hot water after local or state police discovered they were transporting firearms. This bill would be music to those folks ears.

“On behalf of the NRA’s five-million members and law-abiding gun owners across the country, I want to thank Sen. Hatch and Congressman Griffith for sponsoring legislation to ensure that those who legally transport their firearms, ammunition and magazines are protected from harassment and prosecution,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director of the National Rifle Association’s Institute for Legislative Action.

#24647 - 03/17/17 04:27 PM Re: Senate Bill to Make Travel with Firearm Easier [Re: Hal]
Dfabs Offline

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
Sounds like a step in the right direction to me. I have to cross over into Maryland to get to one of the trout streams I fish and I have to leave my gun at home right now because Maryland has crazy handgun laws.

#24648 - 03/18/17 03:11 PM Re: Senate Bill to Make Travel with Firearm Easier [Re: Hal]
Utk1 Offline

Loc: S.E. Kentucky
That"s why I vote GOP and am an NRA life member.

Edited by Utk1 (03/18/17 03:11 PM)

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.