Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#24747 - 04/23/17 12:44 PM King's Ranch (The Old Shack). Update.
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
It's been almost 4 years since we first started talking about the old King's house, I know that several of you guys were following along with the progress and all. The original thread is on the "picture board".

The old house has held up pretty good, we've had a couple of little screw-ups. Things that I wish we'd have done a little differently, etc. Overall, things are good.

I'm going to cover a lot of different topics in this thread, some of them might save you a little money or at least a headache. And share a couple of highlights from the last 4 years. And I'll share some of "Wardney's Words of Wisdom".

For one thing, I wish that I would have had a sign-in sheet for everyone that's visited.

One thing that I just can't get over is the monthly electric bill. I mean nobody is living there, the cook stove and fireplace thing are both propane gas. I do have 6, 150 watt floodlights mounted on 3 corners of the house that I use now and then, otherwise I don't use much electric!

The other day I got the bill from the power company, it's here beside me, "Billing Period: March 13 to April 11, 2017." Potomac Edison sent me a bill for $6.07. Yep, Six dollars and seven cents. That's better than 20 cents per day. Outrageous!

Edited by redsnow (08/25/17 12:50 PM)

#24748 - 04/23/17 12:57 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
You're lucky. A lot of utility companies have a minimum. In my cabin in Tennessee it's $21 per month.

#24750 - 04/23/17 03:53 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
My wife takes care of the bills but I happened to look at the gas bill the other day. 95 bucks for the month and if I was reading it correctly 43 bucks was services and convenience of having it. This is for natural gas, our electric is through a different company. I will look at it next time I see it. Dale

#24752 - 04/23/17 10:28 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
Mike Conrad Offline

Loc: Sheffield, Ohio
X2 on a minimum monthly bill. I thought all the utility companies had that. Our electric company was just changing over to that when I built my house 30 years ago, just got in under the wire.

#24754 - 04/24/17 11:38 AM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Knock on wood, but I smile every time that I get that electric bill. I don't think it's ever been over $30.

I more than pay my share here in town!

Really, no more time than I spend up there I hardly ever turn on the hot water heater. The only thing that is plugged in now is the fridge.

Above I mentioned the outside lights, there are 3 banks of 2-150 watt bulbs each. The main reason that I have them, one set lights up the parking area, so you can see to get to the door. One set lights up the front porch steps and the other set is mounted on the corner of the upstairs bathroom. When I get up in the middle of the night to take a leak, I like to flip that light on and see what's roaming around outside.

Talking about the gas bill, I'm dealing with one company up at the King's house, which I own that tank. It's a 250 gallon size, had it filled last fall, that should last 3 or 4 years. Now that company doesn't charge me any fees.

Here in town, I'm dealing with another company, I noticed on their last bill, they charged me for a "hazardous" fee, some kind of delivery charge and something else? I talked to the driver, and asked about all of that stuff, probably the last time that I'll have them fill up my tank.

I'll tell you a good one on the gas company, it happened back about the first of the year. My brother was telling me, his wife told him that the cook stove wouldn't light. She was getting ready to fix breakfast. My brother said that he was pretty sure that they'd just filled his tank, so he put on his jacket and figured he'd go check the gauge on the tank. It's one of those 250 gallon "torpedo" tanks, he walked out around the corner of the house and the damn tank was gone!

It's not like 2 guys just rolled in and stole the thing. He said he could track a dual wheeled truck that drove up through the field to his yard fence, and snatched it. He called the gas people, said he was polite about it, they apologized again and again and again. Somebody got the wrong numbers or address mixed up. Anyway, they washed his tank and painted it for him. Just lucky that he had a receipt where he had bought that tank, 20 years ago.

Kind of had me worried about my tank up at the King's place, it's the same outfit. Not sure if I'd have been so polite, drive up there after work and not have any heat. But my tank is still in it's spot.

#24756 - 04/24/17 06:39 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

We have propane too. Everybody around here has those 250 gallon tanks. I talked to the folks before I had it installed, and decided to go with the 500 gallon tank. Now the kicker is, if you don't use more than 500 gallons there is a $35 penalty for having that tank. And since we heat with wood, I don't empty the tank. With that said, the owner of a 500 gallon tank automatically gets a 10 cent/gal. discount on his gas. So even if I use just half (250 gal.) that's a $25 savings right there. However, that big tank allows me to fill up in the summer July/Aug. when the price of propane is lowest. So I pay that $35 service fee, and smile all the way to the bank.

My neighbor was getting propane, and I tried to explain that to her. She went ahead and got the 500 gallon tank. BUT, the first time she got a penalty fee, she had a fit and made them bring her 250 gallon tank. Now, she is privileged to forego the 10 cent discount, run out of gas during the winter and get the tank filled when prices are at their highest.

Math is a bitch ain't it. smile

#24759 - 04/25/17 09:46 AM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
Hal do they let you lock in a price for propane? Back when I used propane (couple years ago) I could lock in a price for the whole year. You had to guess how much you'd need and pay for it all up front but was much better then hoping they didn't sky rocket in the middle of winter like it did awhile back.

#24760 - 04/25/17 11:27 AM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

All of the utility companies pretty much have us by the nads, on a downhill haul.

My propane tank here in town is 100 gallons, the gas company owns the tank. When I asked the gasman about the fees and all, he tried to make a case for his company. He said that they don't charge rent for the tank, and he has came to me several times and told me that tank was still at 45% or 50% full, and he'd fill it up next time around. Just the cook stove and a wall mounted heater are propane, here at home.

I wanted to tell you about one of the screw ups at the King's house. It was the first winter, after we had water and heat in the house. It was starting to get cold, so Wardney and I went up to drain the water lines and antifreeze the place. Everything worked like it was designed, turn the pump off, open all of the faucets, drain the hot water tank into the commode(i've got a 6 foot long piece of garden hose for that purpose), open the 2 valves under the house and antifreeze the commodes and traps. Drain the water from the water filter, and she's good to go.

Anyway, Wardney and I were talking about the fireplace thing, I figured I'd just turn it off. Wardney said he'd leave the thermostat set where it would come on. So I did.

A couple of weeks later, I went up one night after work, I was listening to the local ballgame on the radio going up the road. When I got to the house, the fireplace thing was on, the game was almost over and I wanted to hear the final score. I was sitting in the car listening to the final few minutes, the fireplace thing was on, then off, and on, and off. Long story short, I burnt almost 100 gallons of propane, and nobody was home.

I've been leaving the pilot light on in the fireplace, but I'll turn it off before long. The cook stove has electronic ignition, this tank of gas will last a long time.

#24761 - 04/26/17 11:35 AM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

While we're talking about this fireplace thing, I'll tell you about one thing that caused me a little frustration. One day last winter my buddy Moe and I went up to the old house, figured we'd hunt until dark, spend the night and come home the next day.

When we got to the house, the fireplace thing wouldn't light. I'd just had the tank filled, the pilot light was on, but it wouldn't fire up. The temperature inside the house was in the 30's, Moe said he wasn't staying if we didn't have any heat.

We fumbled and tinkered around the thing for 45 minutes, there's not much room to wiggle it around, the gas line comes in one side and the thermostat wires are on the other. Finally I bypassed the thermostat, so the stove would light, but we couldn't regulate the temperature.

I figured we'd broken a wire from the thermostat. I'd pecked on the thermostat, time after time. I thought about what all could be wrong that night. See, when the man from the gas company installed the stove, did the pressure test and installed the thermostat, he cut the thermostat wires with his staple gun.

Next morning it was 85* in the front room, I was there with my voltmeter, and didn't have any connection to the thermostat. I took the thermostat apart, blew on the contacts really hard a time or 2. Took a little piece of paper towel and rubbed around on the contacts best I could, and it was good to go.

It was just that simple. Much better than taking the side off of the box and replacing the thermostat wires.

Remember before when we were talking about those bug bomb things? I have a feeling that those things could have left a little bit of film on the contacts, and caused the problem.

#24762 - 04/26/17 05:05 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

Back in the day when I was making quantities of bait, I had a box that would hold four five gallon buckets. There was a 100 watt bulb in there, controlled by the thermostat. After a couple of years, the gasses from that bait literally ate up the contacts on that thermostat.

Hal

#24763 - 04/28/17 11:39 AM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Just thinking about how baits and lures will eat up metal jar lids, that would be tough on a thermostat. Delicate little instrument.

It's been over 20 years since I first got a wall mounted gas heater, I'm on my 3rd one now. The tiles cracked on the first 2, the one I have now is the "blue flame" type. The pilot light has that safety feature, where if it goes out, it'll kill the gas supply. The fireplace thing up at King's is the same. Every now and then, a feller needs to blow the dust out of the workings or it'll shut down.

The first time it happened here at the house, I didn't know what was wrong.

Talking about heat, a couple years ago my sister Barb bought me an "electric mattress pad" for Christmas. It's almost like an electric blanket, but this thing goes under your bottom sheet. It works pretty good. I usually plug it in, 15 minutes before I go to bed, it'll be comfortable. I always unplug it before I go to sleep.

If it's chilly outside, it takes several hours to warm up the house, with just that one little stove.

#24766 - 04/29/17 04:15 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

Not to derail the topic but...

Thirty years ago there was a fellow who got into the lure business, buying the formulas from a retiring lure maker. He worked up all his first batches of lure using metal five gallon buckets. Quote: "That was an expensive lesson."

#24769 - 04/30/17 02:15 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I can imagine!

When I think about the old house, there are so many things that come to mind. I'll tell you this from several years ago, I'm sure some of you will be able to relate to the message. You guys have heard me mention my buddy Big Donnie, or Big D. before. Donnie and I have been best friends since we were kids.

This was back in the very early stages of the Old Shack project. Donnie asked me if he could go up there squirrel hunting one day, I told him to help himself. I told him that Greg and Josh had their equipment up there, and the 3 of us would be working on the road. I remember that I was driving our dumptruck, and was going to spend the night. I told Donnie that he was welcome to stop by for supper, and spend the night at the old house. He did.

As Wardney would say from time to time, "We'll get Ernest on the job tomorrow." We did get earnest on the job, we were making steady headway, day after day.

Fast forward to the fall of 2014. Donnie and his girlfriend Lisa came to me and said that they were going to get hitched and asked me to be in their wedding. I didn't know Lisa that well, but I couldn't turn them down. Nothing was set in stone, but they were planning to get married in about 4 months. Donnie was a nervous wreck! He was worried sick about every little detail. Anyway, for about 4 months they were trying to find the "perfect" getaway for their honeymoon.

D and I were talking one day, I told him then that he and Lisa were welcome to stay up at the King's place. Donnie thought that I was joking about it. He said that he didn't think it would be appropriate for their honeymoon. I told him then, we'd done a helluva lot of work to the place since he'd been inside. The house was finished, and it looked good.

Anyway, Donnie and Lisa located some outfit in New York state that catered to freshly married couples. They showed me the brochure, with the prices. I thought damn!

Remember a while back we had the little "painting party"? Donnie came up and helped paint most of the day, I guess he never went inside the house?

A while back Donnie was here farting around, I had a couple hours to kill, so I took him up to the house, just to check on things. Donnie was checking it all out. I kicked on the fireplace thing, and told him to run on upstairs and look the place over. Donnie was amazed! I guess it was almost like watching a kid grow up, if you don't see him/her for 2 or 3 years, that's a dramatic change!

Long story short, Donnie must have told Lisa about the house. Lisa stopped by just a week or so ago, and asked if they could spend a weekend up there, just to get away. I have a pretty good idea of what they paid for their vacation in New York, 2 years ago. I know first hand, they could use that money today.

We can start another thread, but just my opinion, some folks are silly about stuff like that. Go out and blow a bunch of money for a 1 week vacation.

Up at the King's place, they could have taken their dogs, cut them in the wind, and only be 20 minutes from town. And it wouldn't have cost them a cent.

#24806 - 05/18/17 11:41 AM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I'll add a little more about the Old Shack.

One of the first things that I noticed about the old shack, that I don't like, there's not a good reading light in the house. I found an old floor lamp that works fair.

I'll tell you this while I'm thinking about it. This was back early in the project, my bud Moe went up one evening to night fish, and I was going to meet him there after work. I remember he brought up a pack of deer loin that he'd marinated, it's pretty good stuff!

Anyway, I cooked it on the gas grill, and had planned to eat on the front porch. The bugs ran us inside, we were sitting there eating and talking. Moe asked me if I'd ever thought about having a phone line installed. He went on and on about all of the benefits, how I could have a dialup line for the computer and all. He farts around on the computer more than I do.

You see, at the house there is no cell phone service, there's no TV signal, and it's kind of difficult to pick up decent radio station. Anyway, Moe was still trying to convince me that I needed a phone line. I told him that I'd thought about it, I said you know, I like it the way it is. Moe thought about what I said for a little while and said: True!

Folks here in town have a list of contacts, they can get in touch with, that will relay a message in an emergency. Knock on wood, so far, we've never had an emergency.

I'll add more later.

#24811 - 05/21/17 01:36 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, I got the electric bill the other day, it was $8.99 for the past month.

I mentioned in the original thread that I don't have enough heat in the old house. If it's cold and windy, that little fireplace thing just can't keep up, if you open the doors 2 or 3 times. I looked at a 220 volt wall mounted heater last winter, seemed like it was doing a good job. It was a small little unit, maybe 12" x 15" x 8", something like that would be nice for in the kitchen. Or I could go with a wall mounted propane heater, I've been watching, I should be able to find one on sale before long.

One thing that I wanted to tell you, when the old house was about finished, there were 4 of us working on the job. Wardney, Mike, Big Mike and myself. The 4 of us were sitting on the front porch, we'd called it a day, sitting there with a cold one, just bs'n.

Little Mike started arguing with me about how much money I'd spent. I mentioned in the original thread that everything was bought on a budget, and it was. I've never really mentioned prices before. I guess the kitchen would be the most expensive room in the house, I'll tell you a little bit about it. My nephew was working for an outfit when they remodled an apartment building here in town, he got me the used cabinets for free. (He got me 2 used commodes too.) There is a place here in town that's pretty much went out of business, they sold me my counter top for $75, and even mounted my used kitchen sink, I found it for $25. I did buy a new refridgerator, it was on sale. An old guy here remodeled his kitchen, I bought his used gas cook stove for $50, it's just like new, I've got the paperwork and all. Two new windows and a door, plywood on the walls. So that'll give you an idea.

Anyway, Mike likes to argue. Wardney was sitting between us, taking it all in. Wardney said something like this: "I know that you've spent a little money, but as far as I'm concerned you haven't wasted a dollar. And what money you did spend, you'll get back in enjoyment." I agree with what he said, and that's where we are today. Big Mike was down on the other end of the porch, he agreed with Wardney too.

Thinking about it today, I wish that I'd have started the project 20 years ago.

Any of you guys have advice for extra heat?

#24858 - 06/09/17 02:05 AM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: Hal]
bhugo Offline

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Hal
We have propane too. Everybody around here has those 250 gallon tanks. I talked to the folks before I had it installed, and decided to go with the 500 gallon tank. Now the kicker is, if you don't use more than 500 gallons there is a $35 penalty for having that tank. And since we heat with wood, I don't empty the tank. With that said, the owner of a 500 gallon tank automatically gets a 10 cent/gal. discount on his gas. So even if I use just half (250 gal.) that's a $25 savings right there. However, that big tank allows me to fill up in the summer July/Aug. when the price of propane is lowest. So I pay that $35 service fee, and smile all the way to the bank.

My neighbor was getting propane, and I tried to explain that to her. She went ahead and got the 500 gallon tank. BUT, the first time she got a penalty fee, she had a fit and made them bring her 250 gallon tank. Now, she is privileged to forego the 10 cent discount, run out of gas during the winter and get the tank filled when prices are at their highest.

Math is a bitch ain't it. smile

My dad does exactly same thing at our deer camp in the UP. No electricity so we have a propane generator.

#24859 - 06/09/17 02:12 AM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
bhugo Offline

Loc: Michigan
Since you have electricity, you could try a couple space heaters. Those pellets and corn heaters work well but would be a big investment.

Great stories. Fun to read.

#24860 - 06/10/17 11:30 AM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Here at work I see and talk to a good many people every day, if I put the word out that I'm looking for something, they're pretty good about finding it for me. It might take a month or so, but they'll find it.

A while back a man came in with a small electric heater and a brand new rod and reel, (I wasn't looking for the fishing pole) I bought the pair for 20 bucks. The heater just plugs into an outlet, it's 750 watts on low, and 1,500 watts on high. I plugged it in here at work, seemed like it was doing a good job.

It should work good for the kitchen, or one of the rooms upstairs. Bad thing about it, that's going to make the electric meter spin, might run the bill up to $12 or $14 a month!

Back really early in the old house project, my brother's wife offered to give me an oil furnace, it's forced air. It's only been used 3 or 4 years, it's being stored in a shed on the farm now. They don't have a use for it, it's mine if I want it.

You see, there's no basement under the house, very little crawl space. The old chimneys in the house didn't have a liner, and weren't safe. Lucky that the old house didn't burn down years ago. I thought about going out from the house, 15 or 20 feet and building a little furnace room, and running the duct work underground to the corner room. Wouldn't be that much more trouble to add a heat vent in the kitchen floor.

I forget how many BTU's that furnace is rated for, but it would easily heat the entire house. I've mentioned it before, the electric service up there is kind of iffy. You can put a bag of ice in the freezer today, go back in 2 or 3 weeks, and you might just have a big clump of ice in the bag. The service is better today, than it was 5 years ago, but still kind of hit and miss.

With the propane fireplace thing, at least you're not going to freeze. Power on or off.

#25027 - 07/30/17 04:50 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I've been neglecting this thread. I'll add a little more.

I've mentioned this before, one thing that I really like about the King's place is that it's just so quiet and peaceful. I've lived in town about all of my life, just nice to listen to nothing for a change. And when it gets dark, it's dark! Probably the biggest reasons that I sleep better up there.

In the original thread I mentioned whip-poor-wills, they are pretty much a common sound at night. Lots of nights, they will be the last sound that I hear at bedtime, and mostly they're still doing their thing when I wake up. I remember that one night, Moe said one was perched on the windowsill, beside his bed.

We've assigned names to the bedrooms now, Room 2-A is Moe's room. 2-B is the guest room, 2-C is my room.

Ms. Mable King, the last direct member of her family passed away 2 or 3 years ago. She'd been in a nursing home, she was 90 or so? A friend told me to never speak about anyone in the past tense, so, she is a sweet little lady.

I remember in the original thread, I said that the stairs were "steep and dangerous", you ought to try them wearing wool socks! If I'd have a Dollar for every time that I've told someone "Watch those damn steps", I could afford 2 or 3 more trail cams. I'm glad that we put up that handrail.

Remember the pictures of the front room, with the fireplace thing? I remember the day that I took Wardney to the hardware store and he picked out that bright/light-colored green paint. Wardney kept asking me, how do you like this color?, I'd been thinking something like this, etc. I told Wardney to pick out whatever color he wanted. (I was thinking to myself, that's about the shittiest combination of paint they've ever brewed.)

You know, that color fits that room perfectly. As of today, I've had 3 different people compliment the rooms color, and call it "cozy". I'll admit, I like it too.

That's one thing, I'm very easy to please. My daughter picked out the paint for the bathrooms. I had the other guys pick out the flooring for the bathroom, kitchen and the front room. I'm not one to fret over little dumb stuff.

So far we've only killed 2 copperheads and 1 rattlesnake, there at the house.

Remember from the original thread, after the dirt work I sowed clover and grass seed all around the house. The clover came up best, between the rabbits and deer, there's one swath of the yard that never needs to be mowed.

I remember one morning, I was up there alone, just before I got out of bed I could see this little buck deer standing out in the field, just feeding along. (I can see Wardney's illegal salt lick laying in bed.) I got up and went to the bathroom, I was standing there brushing my teeth, there were 3 more little buck deer standing in the clover patch. I mean right under the bathroom window. If the window would have been up, I could have spit toothpaste on 2 of them.

I remember a couple of times, I've been sitting in my easy chair, reading a magazine and see turkeys come down out of the woods. This past spring I was up there and heard 2 turkey gobblers behind the house. If I can hear them, they're pretty close. There is a Methodist church across the river, about a mile off, I can hear them ring their bell on Sunday mornings. Now and then the neighbors do a little target shooting. Otherwise things are very quiet.

Last weekend I went up after work, I always take my big spotlight and walk across both bridges here in the summertime. I did see a nice eel under the big bridge, I'd say it was around 30 inches long, maybe a little better? I had my eel gig on the truck too. By the time I went up to the house, ate supper and changed clothes, I couldn't find it again. Moe bought a pound of chicken hearts the other day, so he'll be night fishing this coming weekend. It's more fun to gig them, might take the boat?

Just some of the stuff going on. I have a couple of highlights that I'll share, when I get time.

#25134 - 08/14/17 10:49 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

More practice posting pictures.

A while back I noticed that I had a water leak in the roof, at the old shack. It was someplace between the 2 windows, about half way up. I found it the other day, and sprayed it down with stuff called "Flex Seal". It's like a foam/tar combination in a spray can, about $10 a can.

It sprays on black, I've got about all of it covered up in this picture. This is the old part of the roof, just started painting the roof the other day. Looked like the rain was moving in on me, and I was out of paint, again, so I called it quits for the day.

#25179 - 08/23/17 02:02 AM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Almost finished with the roof painting job, it was toasty up there the other day.

#25180 - 08/24/17 06:59 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

It almost breaks my heart for you to call that the "shack". It looks like a fairly substantial structure, and was obviously erected by folks of at least modest means. I make the assumption that this was the original farm house, and these folks must have derived a moderate income from farming.

#25181 - 08/25/17 11:42 AM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I honestly don't remember who it was that first used the term Old Shack? I think it was the man that had the place rented last.

I remember in the original thread I mentioned that the guy said that the floors were "springy" and all. He said that the old house wouldn't be standing for many more years, etc. I'll try not to talk bad about the man, he kicked the bucket a while back. But talking to him was like talking to a telemarketer in person. Years ago he'd pester Dad, Dad was getting up in years and Dad would just tell him, "You'll need to talk to the boys."

I remember one time the man came to me and offered to buy the house, I think it was $10,000 that he offered for the house and property right around it. I know he wanted the little field above the house too. I thanked him for his offer, and told him that we'd just hang onto the place.

You see, Dad rented the place for $500 per year, and the other guy was to do the up-keep. There were busted/cracked windows, roof was rusty as hell, and the wall paint was flaking off. Remember, they'd cut the drain line off under the kitchen sink, so all of that water drained right under the house. I wish you guys could have seen the house before.

I never measured it, but I'll bet there was at least 8" difference between the high and low side of the kitchen floor!

If you look at this last picture above, I need to get the rain water drained away from the house. A guy gave me an estimate for rain gutter the other day, $835. The biggest problem is that "valley" from the peak of the roof, out across the bathrooms. If it rains really hard, one downspout won't carry all of it. I've been thinking about pouring a little concrete slab, and slope it away from the house, maybe 3' x 5 feet.

The King family did have cattle and they raised chickens commercially. I'm not sure, but I'd guess back in the 40's or 50's, give or take. They weren't rich by any means. Like most folks of the time, I'm sure they worked hard, made a living and that's about it.

#25182 - 08/25/17 05:14 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Yea, I tried 'cottage', 'cabin', and 'shack' on your digs. None seemed to fit. To me it looks like 'the old HOUSE'. Just sayin'. smile

Frank.

#25183 - 08/26/17 02:02 AM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

#25184 - 08/26/17 11:40 AM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

It is an old house. Mom's home place is across the river and up near the top of the mountain to the west. According to Mom, her house was built in 1910, and the King's house was built before then.

If you look at this picture above, section 1, is log. The logs go up about halfway on the left top window, from there up, it's framed. The house was built in 3 sections, 3 rooms upstairs and 3 down. I/we built section 4, the bathrooms.

Talking about the King family, years ago there was a smallish barn below the house, and another hand dug well. I remember when they tore down the barn and dozed the well closed. Back in the 70's Dad had cows up there. And I remember a small chicken house that was built above the house, back somewhere around 100' from where I was standing when I took the above picture. It was nothing but a crumpled up heap, in my early memories. Dad had a John Deer 1010 dozer, the remains of the old chicken house was pushed into a big hole and buried. That's been a long time ago.

I'll get us some new pictures next time I'm up, since the fine folks at Photobucket gave me the shaft. I'm not paying that $400 per year!

#25185 - 08/26/17 02:26 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]

In the fore ground, it looks like a cable is lashed onto the bottom of the tree. What's that all about? Keeping something straight, or are you about to do your own Franklin lightning experiment?? grin

Frank.

#25186 - 08/26/17 04:37 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

No, it's rope, I've got my ladder tied off with it. Look at the first picture above, the roof is just too steep to walk.

All I need to do yet is the front side, up top, and about 2/3's of the front porch. A thunderstorm shut me down again the other day.

#25189 - 08/27/17 05:36 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

So it did start out as a log cabin. We have a few of those in my neighborhood, that were like wise covered in clapboard later in life.

#25191 - 08/28/17 02:22 AM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Yes, the original part is log. The walls in that section are give or take 10 inches thick. If it's not raining I'll get us some new pictures tomorrow, since Photobucket went to hell on us.

I'd never heard of the term "story and a half" before, I'll guess years ago, they had some kind of loft or attic room upstairs? Probably with a steep roof and wooden shingles.

My Granddad's barn and shop building had a wood shingle roof, pointy as heck. But it'd turn most of the rain.

The oldest section of Mom's home place, it's log.

The oldest section of Dad's home place, it's log too. My brother lives in that house today.

All 3 houses have one thing in common, the stairways are all steep and dangerous, almost like climbing a ladder.

That's one thing about the King's house, there's no wasted space. There is a closet under the stairs, there's a closet over the stairs, and a little cubby hole at the bottom overhead. (Tall folks will bonk your head there if you're not careful.) And a small little pantry shelf built into the wall in the kitchen. And another little closet built upstairs in the corner room. It is a neat old house, very crafty engineering.

#25208 - 08/29/17 11:01 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Above you'll notice the closet space under the stairs.

#25209 - 08/29/17 11:10 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Above is where I need to paint yet, seems like the rain has settled in.

Edited by redsnow (08/29/17 11:12 PM)

#25210 - 08/29/17 11:38 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Here are 2 of the logs we cut out for the upstairs bathroom door, there was a window there from the start. The 5 gallon bucket will give you an idea of the size, they are pine, solid too.

Figured that I should save them, just for the heck of it.

#25212 - 08/30/17 08:51 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Here you can see that the log part of the house is setting on a rock foundation. Notice the horseshoe above the front steps, there is another one over the front door. Not sure if that's just a local tradition or not? Supposed to be a "sign" for good luck, the way I understand it. We took it down and painted it black and put it back in it's spot.

Notice the old "glider" between the doors, not sure if they even make those things today?

#25213 - 08/30/17 11:52 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
Mike Conrad Offline

Loc: Sheffield, Ohio
Horse shoe is hanging just like it is suppose to be; so that it will "catch" all your luck.

#25214 - 08/31/17 11:25 AM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I'll add a few more pictures.

If I've got them in the right order, that should be room 2A, 2B, 2C and the old cook stove.

Not sure about vertical pictures?

Edited by redsnow (08/31/17 11:28 AM)

#25215 - 08/31/17 09:48 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

Oh my gosh, Joyce and I had that exact same cookstove when we started housekeeping in Southern Ohio.

It's a Home Comfort.

#25216 - 08/31/17 09:49 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

I take that back. Ours didn't have the bread warmers.

#25217 - 08/31/17 10:32 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Really nice place.

#25218 - 08/31/17 11:28 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: musher]

So where are the burners on that stove? And what the heck have you got brewing in that huge glass jug? Are you making sunfish oil? Snake oil?? Moonshine?????? smile confused

Frank.

#25219 - 09/01/17 08:31 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Thanks for flipping the picture back upright.

About 3 more quarts of paint on the roof and it'll be finished, my big ladder is just about 3 feet too short. I painted till sundown, the whip poor wills were doing their thing.

Talking about the cook stove, it's in pretty good shape, I mean the firebox and all. It's been years since it's had a fire in it, but like I said above the chimney just wasn't safe. The chimney was made of 4 bricks per layer. It didn't have any kind of liner, when we took it down, we plucked off most of the bricks with our hands. Used a screwdriver now and then, but it just wasn't safe.

What bricks we didn't toss out the window, I carried down the steps in a bucket.

I really should get on it with a wire brush and the shop vac, and polish up the top with some "stove black". It is a pretty old stove. Nice storage for the skillets. It's a heavy rascal!

Frank, you've got a good eye! I'll clean that top off, at first chance and get you a picture of the working surface. There's nothing like homemade bread or pies baked in a woodstove. Brings back lots of memories!

I guess it was about 10 years ago, a man asked me to rid his garden of varmints, I did. Mr. Sterns stopped here at work the other week and told me his vines were full of grapes. You're looking at the first batch of King's Ranch Purple, vintage 2017. (I really don't care for wine.) But I want you to know, I used genuine Wolfe Mountain spring water, from the time I rinsed them off, until they were in the jug. None of this "town water" crap. Hopefully it'll turn out good, they make great Christmas gifts.

#25233 - 09/08/17 07:45 PM Re: The Old Shack. Update. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.