Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#24778 - 05/04/17 11:02 PM Ramps
Jackjr Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: West Virginia
The ramps are about too big to dig. Went about 2 weeks ago and dug about 2 garbage bags for my wife and a few elderly people we know. Went today and dug about 300 to transplant on our farm in Clay county. Already have a big patch planted there but add to it every year. Can't wait for the soup beans and ramps, scrambled eggs and ramps and fried potatoes with ramps,onions, peppers fried in bacon grease!!! The mushrooms were really out about a week ago as well. Anyone still finding them?

#24779 - 05/05/17 08:41 AM Re: Ramps [Re: Jackjr]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I never tried them. I'll bet they grow around here but I don't know of anybody who digs them. -- Hal

#24780 - 05/05/17 09:08 PM Re: Ramps [Re: Jackjr]
Jackjr Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: West Virginia
They taste great but have a smell like garlic and onion. I get mine up along the Williams river in Webster county North of Cowan. I keep transplanting a few hundred every year for my own personal patch. They are starting to get too big now and starting to bud out and reseed.

#24781 - 05/06/17 06:21 AM Re: Ramps [Re: Jackjr]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Ramps are not native to this area, I'm in Hardy Co. Folks around here go to Grant, Tucker and Pendleton Co. to dig ramps.

Two years ago I planted ramps at 2 different spots, they came up last spring and again this year. I'm not sure, but I was told that it'll take 3, 4 or 5 years before they start to spread.

My buddy Moe and his wife are crazy about the things. Susan is a fancy cook, she'll fix ramps with about everything you can think of, for the next month or so. And they freeze a bunch. Moe puts them in his deer bologna. Susan makes a ramp sauce, and a ramp relish (almost like a sweet pickle relish) that's really good on any kind of meat.

Moe gave me 4 pounds of ramps the other week, I planted them all. I started 2 different spots up on the side of the mountain, and 2 more spots out on the farm. I think he cleaned up about 2 bushel, I had him save me the rootballs, I planted them too. I guess they'll grow?

I was told to plant them on the north side of the ridges, that's where I put them. Probably should have been planting ginseng up on the mountain, that's some good dirt up there.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.