Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#24791 - 05/11/17 09:46 PM Trapping in swamp land
Eli Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Northern Wisconsin USA
The land that I'm going to be trapping next year is pretty much all swamp. There are natural islands of pine mixed in between all the muskeg and tall grass in the water. I'm just wondering what I can expect to see and catch. Next winter will be my first year trapping so I'm pretty new but I'm lucky to have lots of private land surrounded 100% by public national forest with nobody for many many miles.
I've seen some beaver(darn things taking down some good solid trees) but I haven't been able to walk out in the thick stuff to see much else. I've followed some bobcat tracks for a while and seen some fox but I haven't been out there in the winter much. I assume there are muskrat and coon but are bobcats and coyotes interested in the frozen swamp? I've got lots of land to play in and will be working summer seasonal so I have all day in the winter be out there, just wonder what everybody else gets in swamp. Sorry for my long winded first post. Thank you!

#24792 - 05/12/17 08:42 AM Re: Trapping in swamp land [Re: Eli]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
You can find most anything in a swamp. Keep scouting and looking around, you won't have much luck trapping if you don't dedicate yourself to that. -- Hal

#24793 - 05/12/17 08:32 PM Re: Trapping in swamp land [Re: Hal]
Eli Offline
Initiate Member

Thank you, will do. I'll go have a look see this winter and look for some more signs.

#24795 - 05/13/17 10:58 AM Re: Trapping in swamp land [Re: Eli]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Although swamps can be unpleasant in warm weather, it would be best if you scout your trapline before the season opens.

#24797 - 05/14/17 12:24 AM Re: Trapping in swamp land [Re: Hal]
Eli Offline
Initiate Member

Okay I'll lather on the mosquito dope and make the trek. I'm going to pick some waders up because I don't think my boots(although waterproofed) will cut it. Thank you for the advice!

#24800 - 05/14/17 08:56 AM Re: Trapping in swamp land [Re: Eli]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
While you're scouting, you might want to look to see if there are two things in your swamp. One would be a flowing waterway with some banks for bank dens. Another would be a natural higher ground 'roadway' for the land critters to traverse the wetlands. Perhaps that google earth thingy might help you. And if you think you need waders instead of hip boots, then maybe you'd want to drag along an otter sled or small canoe, at least for stability. And don't forget a compass along with other survival stuff. Don't want to have to come lookin' for ya! grin

Frank.

#24810 - 05/20/17 12:45 PM Re: Trapping in swamp land [Re: FLSH ETR]
Eli Offline
Initiate Member

I'm thinking hip boots should do me just fine. There is a creek near the end of the property and on government land, but my father insists it doesn't exist. Google maps says it does so I'll just have to make a more thourough exploration effort. There is an old gov trail but that seems to be the only solid pathway out there. Otherwise there a couple of islands covered in white pines. Google maps also shows some game trails it seems out there so I'll just have to go see what tracks are there.

Couldn't make it up this weekend and next weekend I graduate high school so it will be couple weeks before I can update on what I find. ( and don't worry, my compass, first aid kit, and knife are never without me out there!! )

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.