Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 15 of 16 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 >
Topic Options
#25725 - 01/02/18 07:38 AM Re: 2017 Deer Antler growth. [Re: redsnow]
Minky Vibe Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: OHIO
Originally Posted By: redsnow
Here are 2 bucks that I've blasted with my regular camera. The one is a 6-point, and a spike, and I've bumped into turkeys 2 or 3 times.

redsnow,

What kind of camera are you using there?

#25726 - 01/02/18 05:55 PM Re: 2017 Deer Antler growth. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
It's a Canon Power Shot, GLPH 360HS. I've only had it 3 months or so? About $250, as well as I remember, free shipping and it came with an extra battery, chargers, and some other stuff. It's small, I carry it in my shirt pocket. Just checked, it'll zoom in 48X. The picture you posted above, I took 8 or 10 pictures of that deer, it was just walking across the ridge.

It's a nice little camera. I'm pretty sure that it even came with an owners manual.

#25727 - 01/02/18 09:26 PM Re: 2017 Deer Antler growth. [Re: redsnow]
Minky Vibe Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: OHIO
Yeah, I was just wondering. It takes pretty good pictures and I figured you were either getting really close or had a really good camera or both. For a pocket sized deal, those are some really good shots.

#25729 - 01/04/18 06:43 AM Re: 2017 Deer Antler growth. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Everyone should have a good camera. My first digital camera was about $350, I abused it hard for better than 10 years. Last time I dropped it, the screen shattered, that's when I got the new one. But I do carry it with me, pretty much every time I'm out.

I take a lot of pictures, I've posted some of the pictures above on my facebook thing. Some of my facebook friends are up in years, can't really get out and mess around like they'd like. It only takes a second to snap a picture.

#25730 - 01/04/18 11:06 AM Re: 2017 Deer Antler growth. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
My problem isn't taking the photo. It's sharing the darn thing. Boy, that is a complicated pain.

I have a camera that uses "simple viewer" but it is no longer simple. It uses a disc, which is now so stuck in my wife's old portable that the guy at the store can't even get out.
So it used to be tranfer photos on old portable, send them to photo bucket and then share. Not anymore.

Too bad because I like to think I took photos of interesting stuff.

#25731 - 01/04/18 02:19 PM Re: 2017 Deer Antler growth. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Time for a new camera or....

A smart phone will take fairly good photos.

#25732 - 01/05/18 06:10 AM Re: 2017 Deer Antler growth. [Re: redsnow]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
A smart phone takes great photos. But I don't get cell service at the house and I certainly don't get it on the traplines.

I've looked at new cameras but there are other toys I want more!

#25733 - 01/05/18 06:31 AM Re: 2017 Deer Antler growth. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

This little camera above uses an SD card, the same as the trail cameras. That's how I transfer pictures from the trail cams to the computer, just put the SD card in the handheld camera, plug it into the computer and turn the camera on. I've never timed it before, but it only takes a minute, and I always delete the old pictures from the SD card. So, it's empty and ready to go for the next time I check my trail cams.

When I first started looking for a new camera, I searched "Top 10 best cameras", basically the same thing that I did when I decided on my trail camera. There are a lot of good cameras out there, my first camera was a Canon 35mm, that was 40 years ago, I've just stuck with Canon.

I can't explain how much abuse my last camera endured, I figure if it can hangout with me for better than 10 years, that was $350 well spent.

Remember above (or in the other thread) we were talking about deer keeping their antlers, longer during mild winters? The horns should be popping off right and left this winter. It's minus 4* F, on Mount Storm this morning. I've got 11 here in town now.

#25734 - 01/05/18 09:18 AM Re: 2017 Deer Antler growth. [Re: redsnow]
Dfabs Online   content

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
It's 0 here right now, Redsnow, but the felt temperature is -18. I spent 3 years up in Mt. Storm working on Corridor H. We did all of the hydroseeding on the 8 mile section from the connector at the bottom of Scherr Mountain on to the third bridge after that. The section that came after the one Mashuda's was doing when Ralph died. It is brutal up there this time of the year.

If I was ever to do any bear hunting in this state, I think that's where I would go. We saw a boatload of bear while we were doing that road. They were really hard on the right-of-way fences.

#25742 - 01/06/18 07:40 AM Re: 2017 Deer Antler growth. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

That is a whole different world up there weather wise, and it'll change quick too. I've got 6* now.

If you look at the one "scene" picture I posted above, the last mountain over, that's Dolly Sods. Spruce Knob would be off to the left of that picture.

Spruce Knob. Spruce Knob, at 4,863 feet (1,482 m), is the highest point in the state of West Virginia and the summit of Spruce Mountain, the highest peak in the Allegheny Mountains.

We do have a lot of bear. I live in Hardy Co, but Grant, Pendleton, Tucker and Randolph Counties are always up near the top of the list.

A friend and I were out Thursday 1/4/18, south east of town, up on the Virginia line, we tracked 2 big bear. Both headed west.

Edited by redsnow (01/06/18 08:06 AM)
Edit Reason: changed the date.

Page 15 of 16 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.