Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#24830 - 05/27/17 01:13 AM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: Hal]
Randy Sheckles Offline

Loc: Strawberry Point Iowa United S...
Maybe my meaning of a feedbed is incorrect. I see where there is a bunch of sticks and other grassy junk and the sticks look as though there almost gone with older looking chew marks.

What I see on top of the Huts looks like a Big Castor Mound. Is that possible? It sure stinks like one too!!! There is no sign at all on there old trails.

I do have some 330's and 280's but have really not ever used them. I just have pretty good look with snares from Nov. til April. Ended up with 53 Beavers my best season ever, and caught my BIGGEST EVER, she weighed in @ 72 pounds I still don't beleive it. Later part of the season used Castor Mounds. And the 1st part of the season snaring in the water where there was HOT trails.

The pond is on top of a hill and there is a smaller pool below where the pond drains out. I do see a faint trail going fron the pond down to the pool. It's not a coon trail or deer. Maybe set on that trail and see what happens. I am completely baffled. Thanks Hal!!!

Edited by Randy Sheckles (05/27/17 01:14 AM)

#24831 - 05/27/17 07:29 AM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: Randy Sheckles]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Well, it's been a week since this thread was started. If you're not finding any fresh sign, I'd circle the pond and see what's going on.

The way you've described the feedbeds, sounds like maybe muskrats are dragging in stuff? Or it's just growing there on it's own?

The more I read into your comments, it sounds like the farmer has already shot and killed the beaver.

I'm curious, did the farmer tell you that he'd been shooting at them, before you started trapping? Or was it just the other day?

#24832 - 05/27/17 09:01 AM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: redsnow]
Randy Sheckles Offline

Yes he said he shot 1 and killed. And been missing ALOT redsnow.

Edited by Randy Sheckles (05/27/17 11:55 AM)

#24833 - 05/27/17 09:30 AM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: Randy Sheckles]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Generally, in reference to beaver, a feedbed or feed pile, is constructed underwater (for the most part) and consists of green material with the bark on, that the beaver will eat under ice during the winter. I would say the mud on top of the beaver lodge is simply the beaver plastering its roof. Is that mud refreshed periodically.

#24835 - 05/27/17 11:54 AM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: Hal]
Randy Sheckles Offline

Well have been there 5 days now and yes its looked fresh again today. I have a Great Idea Hal. Come to Iowa and help me then I can brag to everyone that I got to trap with a TRUE LEGEND.

#24836 - 05/27/17 12:06 PM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: Randy Sheckles]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
If you and the landowner both have screwed with those beaver, it would be a $500 set up charge, $200 daily maintenance fee, and $1,000 a beaver.

(And I ain't no damn legend.)

Hal

#24840 - 05/31/17 06:14 AM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: Randy Sheckles]
redsnow Online   content

Randy, give us an update.

#24842 - 05/31/17 08:25 AM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: redsnow]
Randy Sheckles Offline

Hi redsnow. I have only been able to catch 2 in snares going in to there hut. And they are on the smaller version. Nothing else has been touched. I know the creek that the Beaver came from, it's close to the pond. Is it possible that other Beaver have moved on back to the creek?

#24843 - 06/02/17 05:01 AM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: Randy Sheckles]
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
Sit out there for a couple hours after sunset and watch, that will tell the story. Dale

#24844 - 06/02/17 06:39 AM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: Randy Sheckles]
redsnow Online   content

It's possible that the beaver have moved out.

You've never said, how big is this pond? Is it 100 yards across? Or 5 acres?

Above when you said that it was infested, is there enough food nearby the pond to support very many beaver?

3 beaver can make a lot of sign.

You have 280's and 330's, if you're trapping at their huts, I'd use them before snares in that situation.

Coming up on 2 weeks now, I like Dale's idea, and I'd take my rifle too.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.