Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#24816 - 05/23/17 02:06 AM Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please
Randy Sheckles Offline

Loc: Strawberry Point Iowa United S...
I was just contacted today about trapping Beaver out of a pond that they are demolishing. Anyway it is BAD so bad that the farmer had Conservation Officers come there to check out for themselves.

So my question is can I still use Castor Lure on mud pies and have success like I did this last season or how and what do I need to do?

#24817 - 05/23/17 01:39 PM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: Randy Sheckles]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Pond beaver can be tough. Castor mounds will work -- for awhile.

Hal

#24818 - 05/23/17 02:30 PM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: Hal]
Randy Sheckles Offline

You ain't kiddin Hal, nothing this morning. But I only have 5 sets out. 1st time for a VERY VERY long time I've been skunked at a Beaver infested area. There is 3 Huge Huts out in deeper water and some runs with no fresh tracks so I made some fake slides and Castor mounds as close to the huts that I could get.

#24821 - 05/24/17 11:42 AM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: Randy Sheckles]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Let me ask, what are the beaver eating?

Have you walked around the pond and checked for active trails?

I'm not familiar with Iowa regulations, are snares legal? Since this job is more or less damage control, I'd think they are legal.

#24822 - 05/24/17 02:02 PM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: Randy Sheckles]
Hal Online   content

It may be best to forgo scouting around the pond. With pond beaver, it is entirely possible those beaver will learn your scent, and stay away from anything you do. I have had situations were I had to enter the water, and walk 50 yards in the water carrying my equipment to avoid leaving scent on the ground. Then make the set while standing the water, never touching the bank.

If you get these beaver stirred up, you may never catch them. In some cases, shooting the beaver is the best option.

A beaver in an isolated pond can be one of the hardest animals on earth to catch.

#24825 - 05/25/17 01:02 AM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: Hal]
Randy Sheckles Offline

Thanks alot Hal. That helps a bunch!!!

#24826 - 05/25/17 01:08 AM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: redsnow]
Randy Sheckles Offline

Yes redsnow snares are legal. Thats all I ever use For Beaver. Snares and Castor Mounds. The trails are not being used at all.Looks like the are eating their feedbeds. Which seem to be about gone. I will give it 2 more days if nothing, looks like I will be sitting out their sunrise and sunset to do it Hal's way.

Edited by Randy Sheckles (05/25/17 01:09 AM)

#24827 - 05/25/17 11:35 AM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: Randy Sheckles]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
It's hard to get a feel for a place without seeing it. If the farmer and the conservation officers have been out there tinkering around, you never know.

Above you said the place was infested with beaver, are you sure? If it's infested, there should be at least a little bit of fresh sign.

Let me ask about the huts out in deep water, any fresh sign on them?

Describe the area a little bit more, when you get a chance.

#24828 - 05/25/17 12:18 PM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: redsnow]
Randy Sheckles Offline

Hi redsnow!!! They have been sitting in top of the huts anyway,cause I see mounds of fresh Beaver poop. I did finally find a entry way into one of the bank huts but not the other one.
And yes I talked to the farmer at sunrise this morning and he had been taking shots at them with a gun days before they got ahold of me. There is no sign at all on the trails. I would've seen something with the rains lately. I've never been so confused on trapping Beaver. Thanks redsnow!!!

#24829 - 05/25/17 01:32 PM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: Randy Sheckles]
Hal Online   content

Originally Posted By: Randy Sheckles
Yes redsnow snares are legal. Thats all I ever use For Beaver. Snares and Castor Mounds. The trails are not being used at all.Looks like the are eating their feedbeds. Which seem to be about gone. I will give it 2 more days if nothing, looks like I will be sitting out their sunrise and sunset to do it Hal's way.

Originally Posted By: Randy Sheckles
Hi redsnow!!! They have been sitting in top of the huts anyway,cause I see mounds of fresh Beaver poop. I did finally find a entry way into one of the bank huts but not the other one.
And yes I talked to the farmer at sunrise this morning and he had been taking shots at them with a gun days before they got ahold of me. There is no sign at all on the trails. I would've seen something with the rains lately. I've never been so confused on trapping Beaver. Thanks redsnow!!!

I see some confusing issues here. 1.)Most generally, feed beds aren't extant this time of year. Beaver usually start laying in a feed bed towards fall. 2.)Beaver don't generally defecate on top of their huts. 3.) If you are limited to just one tool (snares) then you have a very rough row to hoe.

Hal

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.