Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#24846 - 06/02/17 07:32 PM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: redsnow]
Randy Sheckles Offline

Loc: Strawberry Point Iowa United S...
It's time for the rifle. The pond is 100 yds wide and 300 yards long and lots of trees around the pond. Swampy lookin. Besides the 2 juveniles that I have caught. I haven't seen any more beaver. The owner shot at some and killed 1 [bad shot]. cry cry

And for being infested. In order for the D.N.R. to give special permission for the owner to shoot them out of season. They had to mount 2 cameras to see Beaver action and for 3 nights they captured ALOT of Beaver action on film Kinda neat. But anyway I have failed and will comeback in a month of not getting shot at and try again.

Edited by Randy Sheckles (06/02/17 07:39 PM)

#24847 - 06/02/17 08:25 PM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: Randy Sheckles]
Mike Conrad Offline

Loc: Sheffield, Ohio
A pond that size, that may be all the beavers in there. Just because a lot of beavers show up on a camera doesn't mean that much population wise. A camera in the right location would see the same beaver or two quite a few times over the course of an evening or two. How many showed up on the same photo?

#24848 - 06/02/17 10:38 PM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: Mike Conrad]
Randy Sheckles Offline

There was 5 in 1 photo

#24849 - 06/02/17 11:08 PM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: Randy Sheckles]
Mike Conrad Offline

Loc: Sheffield, Ohio
Another possibility is a beaver or two may have been shot besides the one that the owner knows about, and made its way to the lodge or a bank den.

#24850 - 06/03/17 09:28 AM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: Randy Sheckles]
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
If a camera can take a picture of them, you should be able to get in range to punch their ticket. I use a 12 gauge at night. I have a nuisance wildlife removal permit through the state which allows me to remove them with this procedure. No rifle allowed for obvious reasons. Dale

#24851 - 06/03/17 10:37 AM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: Randy Sheckles]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I have caught a couple of nuisance beaver in my time.

I don't mean to be too negative, but there are a number of folks who want to treat trapping nuisance beaver like they are trapping mice. Beaver might be the smartest rodents on the planet. Where they are thick, anybody can catch a pile of them. But, in the process, they educate the last few beaver to the point that they are almost impossible to catch. I've had to come behind folks who think the way to catch nuisance beaver is like scattering mouse traps around the house. If you think:

Originally Posted By: Hal
If you and the landowner both have screwed with those beaver, it would be a $500 set up charge, $200 daily maintenance fee, and $1,000 a beaver.

... is a joke. It's not. I have actually learned to just walk away from jobs like that.

Originally Posted By: Randy Sheckles
I did finally find a entry way into one of the bank huts but not the other one.

Obviously, you stomped around the huts looking for those opening. Big mistake. If somebody stomped around the outside of your house would you just go on about your business like normal?

Originally Posted By: Randy Sheckles
I have only been able to catch 2 in snares going in to there hut.

That's an even worse mistake. Seriously, if you have beaver tangled up right outside the den entrance, every beaver in the pond is going to encounter it. Again, would you feel comfortable at home if you found your kin folks dead or dying outside your back door?

I rarely set up a beaver den or lodge. Then only if I think I'm working on the last beaver.

Trapping beaver for sport in one thing. It doesn't really matter if you scare a few, or educate a few that will be seed. Trapping beaver to eliminate them as a nuisance is a whole 'nother ball game. The very first rule is don't scare them! And pond beaver are the very worst of the lot.

Hal

#24852 - 06/04/17 07:44 AM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: Randy Sheckles]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Years ago I had a damage permit for this property, it just happened that the beaver spooked out of it's bank den while I was standing there, looking the place over, so I shot it and it sunk. I head shot it with my .222 Rem., it kicked around for a second and down it went. The water was clear, I could see it laying on the bottom, and was able to fish it out with a snare on the end of a long pole.

As well as I remember, that would have probably been in March, not sure? The water was cold. Our trapping laws have been upgraded since back then.

I don't know what kind of time frame we'd be dealing with, but in my opinion, at some point that carcass would have gassed up, and resurfaced. Not sure if it'd been a matter of hours or days or weeks?

That's one thing I was kind of wondering about Randy's deal in Iowa, if he was smelling anything rotten. As a rule most farmers are pretty decent shots, especially when they're PO'd at something.

Above where Randy said there was fresh mud on the huts about everyday, I'm thinking there might be little beaver kits inside. Never know? I was out the other day and noticed a little groundhog, about as small as you ever see them, out of their den. From the tip of it's nose to it's butt, I'd guess it at about 8 inches long.

#24853 - 06/04/17 07:40 PM Re: Trapping Pond Beaver for Farmer-Help Please [Re: Hal]
Randy Sheckles Offline

Your not being negative at all. I like constructive critisism. This was my 1st attempt at trapping nuisance beaver and it showed. You have some GREAT advice on what NOT to do. And I did treat it like IN season Beaver Trapping and ther is no comparison. I do have some farmers asking me to trap there Nuisance Beaver and someday I would like to do lots of it. Thanks Hal!!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.