Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 ... 20 21 >
Topic Options
#24861 - 06/14/17 11:31 AM Re: 2017 Deer Antler growth. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I'd been needing another trail camera(s), I've got it watching Wardney's illegal salt lick. In 7 days, it's taken 77 pictures, all deer.

I ordered a set of lithium batteries, I'm going to keep record of how many pictures I get before they die. $14 for 8 AA's.

Above we were talking about fawns, about 3 weeks ago, the mailman started telling me about seeing a few here and there. He drives a lot of miles every week.

Farmers around here are just now starting to make hay, we'd had some wet weather, but they're hitting it hard now. Farmers don't like to talk about stuff like this, and I'd never ask if I didn't know them real well. But there are quite a few fawns that get caught up in hay machines.

These guys make hay in the same fields, with the same acreage, year after year, so they pretty well know what to expect. As of my last report, they're not seeing as many fawns as last year.

I've got 2 new cameras sitting here beside me, I'm not sure where to put them? Think I'll take them up on the mountain and see if I can't get some bobcat pictures. I just hope they don't end up in a bear turd. Reckon I'd better take that milk crate, so I can get them up out of reach.

grin

#24867 - 06/18/17 11:15 PM Re: 2017 Deer Antler growth. [Re: redsnow]
jmbloom3 Offline

Loc: Ohio,Fairfield county

#24869 - 06/19/17 11:36 AM Re: 2017 Deer Antler growth. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I'm sure these are the same 3 deer that are in the picture above dated 6/6/17. Wardney's illegal salt lick. I took the tractor and mowed the grass around the salt lick yesterday.

#24881 - 06/23/17 11:42 AM Re: 2017 Deer Antler growth. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Camera #3 is on the job now, it's on top of the mountain east of town. It's about 2 miles behind a locked gate, watching a rock in the middle of the road, that bobcats like to crap on.

I'm not going to get many deer pictures with that camera, but while I was up there I did see a buck deer. I'd say it's antlers were about the same as the picture J. posted above.

There are lots of green huckleberries up there, not sure, they might be ripe in a month or so? Hard to say what all kinds of critters we'll get with this camera.

#24885 - 06/25/17 02:35 AM Re: 2017 Deer Antler growth. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

This is the best buck so far.

Seems like the deer have changed their pattern. The camera had been up for 16 days, I think, and only 44 pictures.

Camera #4 is on the job, I've got it watching one of my favorite bobcat crossings, it's about half-way up the side of the mountain south of town. That camera will get us some interesting pictures. And it just might end up in a bear turd too.

The road is kind of tight out through that area, I mounted it standing on the side of my truck bed, it's about 10 feet off of the ground. Had to cut some brush out of the way too.

I set a little white rock on the side of the road, and added a dab of lure. The rock is about a foot square, it'll be on the left of the picture. Very good chance we'll get something sniffing that rock tonight. We'll see in a week or 2.

#24890 - 06/27/17 02:23 AM Re: 2017 Deer Antler growth. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Notice that fine mowing job above.

I'd say that these are the same 3 buck deer as above, at Wardney's illegal salt lick. It's kind of hard to see, but notice the second deer on the left, you can see it's butt and it's head, it has little nubs. In one of the other threads we talked about button bucks being shot for females. He's a prime example. My opinion, he's not going to grow much antler this season.

If these are the same 3 bucks in my other pictures (more than likely they are), the buck on the left, in front, has broken off it's left horn, or smashed it or something?

In a weeks time I got 88 pictures from this camera.

I looking forward to checking cameras 3 and 4, but I'm going to wait a while longer. It's almost like being at 4 different spots at the same time!

Edited by redsnow (06/27/17 02:26 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

#24902 - 07/01/17 11:32 PM Re: 2017 Deer Antler growth. [Re: redsnow]
jmbloom3 Offline

Loc: Ohio,Fairfield county

Not the best picture.

#24905 - 07/02/17 05:25 PM Re: 2017 Deer Antler growth. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Camera #2, Wardney's illegal salt lick.

#24908 - 07/04/17 11:29 AM Re: 2017 Deer Antler growth. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Wardney and I rode up and checked camera #3 yesterday. Notice the brush across the road, that's pretty much what the woods look like in that area, laurel, huckleberries, oaks, pines and a good many gum trees.

This camera is set at about a 45* angle watching the road. I got bear pics on the 26th, 28th and 29th. Also got a picture of a fox or a coyote pup? It was walking away from the camera, I'm not sure. Lots of 4-wheeler action, one bunch was up there screwing around after 10 pm.

Think I'll move this camera next check, there's a little spring seep, about a mile south. We're dry as a bone now, that should be a good spot.

#24935 - 07/10/17 09:46 AM Re: 2017 Deer Antler growth. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Page 2 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 ... 20 21 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.