Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#24862 - 06/17/17 10:17 PM Waxed Dirt - Epic Fail
Piglet209 Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Illinois
So I am going to try and increase my trapping hobby next fall and put out more sets, specifically for canines. To combat the cold and changing weather we have here in Illinois (and in your state too I'm sure), I made some waxed dirt last week for use next fall/winter. It didn't "pan out" as I had hoped. Here was my technique, so the more experienced trappers out there can tell me where I erred. I will be detailed so as not to leave anything out that may be important.

I bought some screened dirt and laid it out an inch thick on a 4 foot by 8 foot sheet of plywood. I let it air out and dry for two full days. I also bought a 50 lb. bag of flake wax.

I sprinkled the wax on the top of the dirt and then covered everything with pieces of black plastic. Weather last week was hot (high 80s and low 90s) and very dry.

I let it sit a full day in the heat and peeked under the plastic. The white wax flakes had disappeared, which is what the instructions I was following said would happen. So I mixed up the waxed dirt good (it was very pliable) and then poured it into those 5 gallon paint buckets they sell at Home Depot. I put these buckets in my shed, which is very hot and not well-ventilated.

Fast forward two days. I was moving the buckets of waxed dirt from my shed to my cooler basement to store them for trapping season and felt the dirt. I am now the proud owner of three buckets full of solid blocks of dirt. I mean they are rock solid.

I don't understand what happened. This waxed dirt had never been anywhere but 90 degrees or above for the whole time I made it. But obviously I screwed something up. Any help from the waxed dirt experts out there? Also is there any way to salvage these blocks of dirt or should I throw them out and start from scratch?

#24863 - 06/18/17 05:10 AM Re: Waxed Dirt - Epic Fail [Re: Piglet209]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
Too much wax. Break up what you have made and mix in more dirt.Redo the plastic bit.

#24864 - 06/18/17 09:18 AM Re: Waxed Dirt - Epic Fail [Re: Piglet209]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I'm curious. I don't know what "bought screened dirt" is.

#24866 - 06/18/17 04:41 PM Re: Waxed Dirt - Epic Fail [Re: Piglet209]
RoadDawg Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Where did you buy you flake wax?

#24868 - 06/19/17 04:44 AM Re: Waxed Dirt - Epic Fail [Re: Piglet209]
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
Hal If I am thinking right it is just dirt that has been sifted through a screen to keep out the bigger clods that don't want to break up as easy. Dale

#24870 - 06/19/17 10:37 AM Re: Waxed Dirt - Epic Fail [Re: Piglet209]
Hal Offline

Yes, I understand what sifted dirt is. But where do you buy it and what is it sold as? What does it say on the package?

#24871 - 06/19/17 01:35 PM Re: Waxed Dirt - Epic Fail [Re: Piglet209]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
I'm guessing that he bought potting soil. It costs about a buck for a 20 liter bag. It is often made from compost.

#24872 - 06/19/17 04:23 PM Re: Waxed Dirt - Epic Fail [Re: musher]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Around here you can buy 'top soil' by the bushel basket, used for small garden fixin's, or by the truck load to be used by landscapers to repair or construct new lawns. It's all sifted and air fluffed. Easy to work with. A 'field load' of the black stuff is also used in new lawn construction, and comes by the truck load with huge chunks of the stuff to be spread by a bulldozer. This black dirt would really stand out in a set that is made in brown clay or sandy soil. Not sure what the piglet bought. Better ask, huh.

Frank.

#24873 - 06/19/17 04:55 PM Re: Waxed Dirt - Epic Fail [Re: Piglet209]
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
The little bit of dry dirt I make is scraped off the top of fields and mixed with river sand then waxed. 15 tons of sifted black dirt around here is about 300 bucks... delivered. That would be a lot of dirt to dry. Piglet, did you cover the dirt at night to keep the dew off? Dale

#24874 - 06/21/17 04:29 PM Re: Waxed Dirt - Epic Fail [Re: Piglet209]
Hal Offline

Last night my son described to me "screened topsoil". Maybe that's what we are talking about.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.