Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#24929 - 07/09/17 05:18 PM What is a realistic number of mink sets at a spot?
RED FOX Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: PA - Pennsylvania
Forgive me if this has been brought up already but how far apart do you guys keep mink sets? I am planning on running like a 4 dozen set water line this year about 3 dozen for mink and the rest to try to keep the coon somewhat at bay. About how much ground could i reasonably cover well on smaller streams. We have a ton of small streams.

#24930 - 07/09/17 06:53 PM Re: What is a realistic number of mink sets at a spot? [Re: RED FOX]
Utk1 Online   content

Loc: S.E. Kentucky
Study a map and try to cover as many different drainages as you can. If four come together set below the junction if you can wait. Of course if you covered all four you might catch some quicker but you'll make up for that by covering more ground in the long run. Rich Faler has a real good mink book and he's in your state. Well worth the money.

#24931 - 07/09/17 07:23 PM Re: What is a realistic number of mink sets at a spot? [Re: RED FOX]
RED FOX Offline
Initiate Member

By drainages do you mean culverts or tributaries? I actually have that book but its been a while since i picked it up...

#24932 - 07/09/17 08:48 PM Re: What is a realistic number of mink sets at a spot? [Re: RED FOX]
Ric Online   content

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
I run a mink line by CROSSING as many waterways as possible. Following a watercourse is counterproductive. You can set up the same creek,stream, ditch etc. but think in terms of miles not yards to your next closest set. If your going to run 3 dz. mink sets. Do your homework and put them where they will count the most

#24933 - 07/09/17 09:13 PM Re: What is a realistic number of mink sets at a spot? [Re: RED FOX]
RED FOX Offline
Initiate Member

Ok so do you mean you set at stream intersections?

#24934 - 07/09/17 09:27 PM Re: What is a realistic number of mink sets at a spot? [Re: RED FOX]
RED FOX Offline
Initiate Member

By that logic i could have anywhere between four and eight sets at one location at one intersection. Or am i thinking about it wrong. It definetly makes sense not to just keep setting on the same stretch. Thanks for that.

#24938 - 07/10/17 05:24 AM Re: What is a realistic number of mink sets at a spot? [Re: RED FOX]
Utk1 Online   content

Loc: S.E. Kentucky
I mean if several small creeks come together and each are one or two miles long don't set them but find a bridge below where they come together and wait. I'd say you have dendritic drainage like we do. Some stops could use four sets some two but just make sure you cover it. It frustrating when you see where a mink missed your set and you know he'll be a while coming back through.

#24940 - 07/10/17 01:33 PM Re: What is a realistic number of mink sets at a spot? [Re: RED FOX]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Buy more traps. smile

#24944 - 07/10/17 04:42 PM Re: What is a realistic number of mink sets at a spot? [Re: RED FOX]
RED FOX Offline
Initiate Member

Yeah gonna have to get some more. Someone who traps a lot of mink how many traps over how many miles?

#24945 - 07/11/17 05:51 AM Re: What is a realistic number of mink sets at a spot? [Re: RED FOX]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Originally Posted By: RED FOX
Yeah gonna have to get some more. Someone who traps a lot of mink how many traps over how many miles?

That is impossible to answer. It all depends on your mink population and how many good locations to set for them.

Another way to approach your question is to ask yourself: how many miles do you have time to run as a trapline? Then how many locations are there on this trapline? And finally, after examining the locations, how many traps will I set at each?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.