Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#24947 - 07/11/17 01:37 PM Re: What is a realistic number of mink sets at a spot? [Re: RED FOX]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
This is not baseball, this is not golf, this is not bowling. There is not set number of innings, no set number holes, and no set number of pins. If you require that type of data, take up one of those types of sports.

There is no way to tell you how many "traps per mile" you will set. In fact that's getting the cart completely ahead of the horse. You won't know how many traps you need until you examine each stretch of trapline. You should be concentrating on looking for places to set traps not looking for traps to set places.

My suggestion to buy more traps would allow you a greater degree of speculation (guess work) until you figure out what constitutes a good mink set.

#24948 - 07/11/17 07:49 PM Re: What is a realistic number of mink sets at a spot? [Re: RED FOX]
RED FOX Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: PA - Pennsylvania
Ok thanks

#24957 - 07/13/17 11:29 AM Re: What is a realistic number of mink sets at a spot? [Re: RED FOX]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I don't think that we're all on the same page yet.

I take it that you're trapping from your vehicle, each time that you park and slide down over the creek bank, you'd want at least 2 traps to check. On the bigger streams, 2 sets on each side would be a good idea.

You're working with a 24 hour check, I assume. 8 traps in one little area, that's not realistic. You'd be better off to take those other 4 or 6 traps, on down the line, and set up 2 or 3 more creeks.

One thing that I read above that doesn't make sense to me, using foot traps, a good mink set is also a good coon set. My theory is, you make the set and catch them as they come along.

#24958 - 07/13/17 11:57 AM Re: What is a realistic number of mink sets at a spot? [Re: redsnow]
RED FOX Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: PA - Pennsylvania
Yeah i was thinking of the coons that would get caught in the minks boxes. But yeah i agree. Fur is fur. Thanks i know its not clear cut and i never expected it to be. I was simply not sure what minkers usually do "on average".

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.