Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#25015 - 07/24/17 08:07 PM Gun laws #2.
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Over in the other thread we mentioned anti-gun states and their laws, etc. I wanted to tell you this little story, maybe help someone else from getting in a bind.

About 2 months ago, I was here at work and one of my buds called me on my cell phone, his name showed up on the screen, I answered "What's going on so/and/so? He said: "Hey, I need you to fax a copy of your FFL to this number. . . I'll tell you the details later."

I sent the fax, my machine said that it had been received. My bud called me back a minute later and said that the other gun dealer had the copy of my FFL. Then he started telling me what was going on.

I knew that he was working down around Washington, DC., someplace. I don't know the exact details yet, but anyway, he got stopped by the police and he had his pistol with him. I'm sure that wasn't just your average 20 minute traffic stop!

Well the police (which ever agency?) confiscated his gun. He had to hire a lawyer (easier said that done, when you're out on the road and don't know anyone.) From what I know now, the police/court system had possession of his firearm for about a month. The police transferred his pistol to a Maryland firearms dealer, and that dealer transferred it to me. I just received his gun last week.

So the police, the MD gun dealer and myself, all of us have the make, model, SN, the whole 9 yards about his gun. And we're required to keep all that stuff forever!

He stopped by the other day and filled out the NICS background check paperwork, and asked how much he owed me for taking care of it. We're best friends. I said: I'm not going to charge you anything, hell, I figure you've already paid enough. He said that it had cost him well over 1,000 bucks.

Maryland is anti-gun. His lawyer told him that he was lucky that it didn't happen inside D.C. I'll tell you how stupid their laws are, the MD firearms dealer couldn't give him the clip full of ammo, the only way that he could get his ammo back, it had to be shipped. You can't ship the ammo with the gun. So that clip of ammo, would have cost him another $40 or $50. He told the dealer to keep it, take it out and shoot it, sell it or throw it in the trash.

Like I said above, it's been about 2 months now, the NICS check delayed the transaction. The date when I can transfer his gun, back to him has passed now, this weekend when he comes home from work, I'll give him his gun.

Just a big pile of government red tape.

#25016 - 07/24/17 09:40 PM Re: Gun laws #2. [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Ya say, 'Government red tape'? Back in high school, (60's) we called that "loss of equilibrium of the feces." Yea, still do it. Every morning. grin

Frank.

#25018 - 07/25/17 11:41 AM Re: Gun laws #2. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Hmmm, I'd never heard it put that way. But their "system" is definitely out of balance. Seems like there is a lot of retention.

Just my opinion, a concealed carry permit should carry as much weight as a drivers license. And as much weight as a "hunter education card". My drivers license is good nationwide, my hunter education card is accepted nationwide.

Anti-gun states like Maryland, well, they are just anti-gun. I doubt if they will ever accept another states concealed carry permit.

#25019 - 07/25/17 05:01 PM Re: Gun laws #2. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
There may be a little more than meets the eye here. Maybe you'll give us more details as you get them. I'd guess (and that's always dangerous) that your friend had a loaded weapon in the car. If he had transported unloaded and locked in a case (and preferably in the trunk)I don't think they would have taken it.

There is in fact a bull in Congress. Here is a synopsis.

Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017

This bill amends the federal criminal code to allow a qualified individual to carry a concealed handgun into or possess a concealed handgun in another state that allows individuals to carry concealed firearms.

A qualified individual must: (1) be eligible to possess, transport, or receive a firearm under federal law; (2) carry a valid photo identification document; and (3) carry a valid concealed carry permit issued by, or be eligible to carry a concealed firearm in, his or her state of residence.

Additionally, the bill specifies that a qualified individual who lawfully carries or possesses a concealed handgun in another state: (1) is not subject to the federal prohibition on possessing a firearm in a school zone, and (2) may carry or possess the concealed handgun in federally owned lands that are open to the public.

I'm pretty much against restrictive gun laws, but I'm not sure I could get fully behind this. "carry a valid concealed carry permit issued by, or be eligible to carry a concealed firearm in, his or her state of residence. It the "or" part I have trouble with. Tim made reference to driver's license's being reciprocal. That's not a bad analogy. But I'm not at all certain I would want person whose state did not require a driver's license driving around my neighborhood.

And I am by far no expert in reciprocal agreements as they stand now, but I don't think you can show up in Ohio with a concealed weapon, and no permit, just because your home state lets you carry without one.

Be mindful that states which do not require a permit, may in fact still offer a permit just so their citizens can qualify to carry in other states.

I welcome opinions on this.

#25020 - 07/25/17 11:05 PM Re: Gun laws #2. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

More than likely my bud will stop this weekend and get his gun. I've talked to him a couple of times, but just not the right time/place to explain the details.

The man is a foreman on a line crew, I'm positive he was in his company truck. Over in the other thread we talked about feeling "naked", that's easy for anyone used to packing a gun to understand. It's the same feeling for all of us walking out of the house without our pocket-knife. Things just don't feel right.

I'm not up-to-date on all of the reciprocal terms, state to state. It's improved over the years.

West Virginia opened up the rules for residents, here in the state. But as far as having some kind of reciprocal agreement with another state, you will need a state issued concealed carry permit.

Yes, in Maryland if he'd had his gun unloaded, in a locked box, he would have been good to go.

#25030 - 07/31/17 11:39 AM Re: Gun laws #2. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, my bud stopped last evening and picked up his gun. I still don't know all of the details, hard to talk about stuff like that in public, I'll tell you what he told me.

He was driving his company truck, it was 12:30 at night and he was about 3/4's asleep. He was pulling a "pole trailer". The way I understand it, the reason the police pulled him over, the lights on the trailer were flicking on and off, and he'd crossed out of his lane a little bit.

I guess they were going to write him up for "faulty equipment" and maybe failure to stay right of center. When the police called in his license #, it showed up that he did have a West Virginia concealed carry permit. The cop asked, he told him that he did have a valid carry permit. The cop told him that he's pretty sure that it's not valid in MD.

The way I understand things, his pistol was pretty much tucked in under or beside of the seats. It was in a holster.

My buddy was in the wrong, the policeman was just doing his job. Expensive lesson learned.

#25031 - 07/31/17 01:02 PM Re: Gun laws #2. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I'm going to add a little bit more. My bud was driving a 3/4 ton pickup, and the pole trailer is rigged up with a Pintle hitch. Not sure if it was loaded or not? Even if it was empty, that hitch will beat and bang around, and cause even a big truck to sway around in the road.

After the deal with his pistol, they checked everything, tried to get him for reckless driving. He told me that he drives 60,000 miles per year. The way that WV drivers licenses are set up, we have a point system. If he'd been convicted for reckless driving, he could have lost his CDL's for 90 days.

That would have pretty much cost him his job. Like I said above, a bunch of money down the drain. It could have been a lot worse!

#27720 - 07/30/20 06:10 PM Re: Gun laws #2. [Re: redsnow]
steeltrap Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: MO
A pig is a pig is a pig. I got no respect for BLM or the police. Cops do whatever they want, but enforce law on us? ANd if they do get held to accountability, they move a city, county or town away and do it all over again.

#27721 - 07/30/20 11:09 PM Re: Gun laws #2. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, since nobody else will say anything, I'll tell you. If you don't have respect for our police officers, you're no friend of mine!

You know, our police officers put their ass on the line for us regular folks, 24/7/365.

Your membership at Sullivan's Line will expire soon.

#27723 - 07/31/20 02:15 PM Re: Gun laws #2. [Re: redsnow]
steeltrap Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: MO
redsnow,
That's fine with me. Good cops do what you say. But plenty of bad ones do what they want, break the law at will, do things that when they see a civilian do it they arrest or fine them. I don't have a problem with a cop who is in pursuit of a suspect going as fast as he needs to in order to get the job done. But I regularly see them speeding around here just because they can. Sorry but badges don't give extra rights. And even good cops give them a pass (maybe the good ones aren't as good as I give them credit for?). It isn't just speeding they plant evidence, beat and shoot people who don't need it, escalate situations so they can act tough etc. Youtube is full of videos doing it. It's in the news every day.

Edited by steeltrap (07/31/20 06:13 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.