Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#25172 - 08/21/17 06:40 AM Off road vehicles.
redsnow Offline

Loc: WV
We've been talking about 4-wheelers and these high dollar buggies. Well, I finally broke down and bought myself one, sort of.

She's a 95 Chevy S-10, 2-wheel drive, 5 speed, with a 4-cylinder power plant. lol. It's not exactly eat up with power.

A friend of mine owned the truck, he smacked a deer a few weeks ago, the insurance folks totaled it. Knocked out the grill, dinged up the hood and cracked the windshield.

You guys keep this in mind when you go out and pay 6 or 8 or $10,000 for your fancy side-by-side. I paid $400 for the truck, and another $150 for some minor repairs. So, I've got $550 in it, it had 3/4's of a tank of gas, 4 new tires. Heat, AC, radio, if it starts to rain, I can roll up the windows. I think I did ok.

#25173 - 08/21/17 10:52 AM Re: Off road vehicles. [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Nice little truck. I drove a company S-10 for a while. Had lots of zip, and rode fairly decent. Too light in the ass end however for our winters here. Had to load the thing with sand tubes for traction. Almost got stuck on a couple of construction sites, but managed to rock myself out. Looks like you made out well on price. Don't forget to keep a couple of bucks set aside for those little 'used truck' repairs! grin

Frank. cool

#25177 - 08/22/17 04:45 AM Re: Off road vehicles. [Re: redsnow]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
Slap a set of chains on it and you'll be impressed by where you can go.

#25178 - 08/22/17 06:24 AM Re: Off road vehicles. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Offline

Loc: WV
It does have a "posi-trac" rear-end. Yes, it's very light in the ass.

The guy that owned it before me, he paid $1,900 for the truck. Not long ago he had to buy a "new" transmission, so I'd assume that they replaced the clutch and all. That should be good.

When I bought it he said that it had a broken starter bolt, so I had my shade-tree mechanic drill it out and replace it. And give everything else the once over. That's what cost me $150. He said everything else looked good.

It's got 4 almost new Dunlop tires, I'm sure he paid over $400 for them.

When I bought the truck I had 3 options. I could spend another 2 or $300 and make it street legal again, and sell it. Could fill it up with gas and take it to the farm. Or I could fill it up with gas and take it to the King's place.

I gassed up the other day and took it to King's. Seems like the steering is tight, it handles ok. Pretty good spunk in 2nd and 3rd gear, 5th is weak, but it'll do better than the speed limit. It's paid for, and I won't have any insurance bills or yearly inspection. The little truck will come in handy.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.