Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#25239 - 09/15/17 06:38 AM Wood cook stoves.
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Here are a couple of pictures of the old stove up at the Old Shack.

I guess back at the time it was one of the top of the line stoves. "Warm Morning" was another good stove. And others.

I know Frank was joking about where the "burners" were located the other day. The left hand compartment is where you control the temperature, hot water is in the right hand compartment, and you can cook all across the top.

I'd forgot about it till the other day, you can have these stoves converted to propane. That would be pretty neat, as an extra source of heat, without needing to build a full-blown block chimney.

It needs a good cleaning, but neat conversation piece.

#25240 - 09/15/17 09:01 AM Re: Wood cook stoves. [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Pretty fancy stuff of the day. Probably the 'Cadillac' of stoves back then. Do the silver knobs at top center control anything? A lot of work needed to fire that bad boy up to bake loaves of potato bread, pies, and turnovers. Just making firewood would be a full time job. I always used to giggle watching 'Little House on the Prairie'. Wood stove smoking like crazy, with fresh baked goodies cooling on the window sill, and not a tree in site!! How day do dat??? grin

Frank. cool

#25241 - 09/15/17 11:04 AM Re: Wood cook stoves. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Here you can see the fire box, a little bit. It doesn't look too bad. Honestly, I'm surprised that the burner handle things, didn't "walk off". It's pretty much intact, with chips and dings. It's been used.

I didn't mess with it much yesterday, but I'm thinking those knobs are for directing heat here or there. There is like a hood type of gizmo that I put in the oven, when we moved it from the kitchen to the corner room. It wouldn't fit through the door. And it's heavy!

With a bucket of hot soapy water and some scrubby pads, it'd look good as new.

I found a place up north that tinkers with old stoves, we'll see what they have to offer.

No, there's not much of a firebox, it would be a chore keeping up with kitchen wood.

#25242 - 09/15/17 12:27 PM Re: Wood cook stoves. [Re: redsnow]
FLSH ETR Offline

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Might even be too modern for wood. Coal, perhaps? The grate looks right.

Frank.

#25243 - 09/15/17 05:13 PM Re: Wood cook stoves. [Re: redsnow]
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
Interesting. When my dad stops by again I will show him this stove. He was born in 1937 and a wood cook stove was the only heat they had for the small farm house. He was born in that house and Grandma (his mom) had trouble giving birth due to his size (15 #'s) that they had to tend to Grandma and the Doc told the nurse to put the baby in the warming compartment of the cook stove until he could tend to him. Dale

#25244 - 09/16/17 06:34 AM Re: Wood cook stoves. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

My old buddy Felix always told the story that they put him on the oven door as a baby, to keep him warm. Felix lived to be 90 some, his birthday would be right at 100 years ago today.

They made a lot of accessories for these old stoves too. Notice the little "lip" or "ring" on the bottom of my griddle, that's made to sit inside of the stoves top. The griddle and waffle iron didn't come from the King's place, I just found them at public auctions.

I've never used the waffle iron, but I use the little griddle on my gas stove. It's the best skillet that I have for doing pancakes or eggs.

They made bigger skillets and pots that also had that little lip on them too.

#25245 - 09/17/17 12:06 PM Re: Wood cook stoves. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Boy that brings back memories. The center silver knob in the flue damper, the right knob is the oven bypass, and I don't remember the function of the left knob. It's not hard to keep a fire in that stove if you know what you're doing. It is a wood and coal stove. My great grandmother burnt coal in hers. She got the fire going with corn cobs (which they gave away free at the grain elevator -- they were a waste product back then.) If you need a quick fry, you lifted the eye right out of the stove, and set your skillet in the hole.

We didn't have running water. In the winter, we took our baths in the kitchen in a double #2 tub with the cookstove fired up and the oven door open. I wish you had a picture of the fire box door shut. There is a little bump on the front of that door to accommodate the lid lifer hook. When my son Eli was a little boy, he jumped out of the tub and backed up to the stove to get warm. He backed too close, and he still has a scar on his butt where that little bump on the firebox door branded him.

#25253 - 09/18/17 06:28 AM Re: Wood cook stoves. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Ouch. I'll bet that did smart!

I'll get you a picture of that branding iron, next time up.

I'll check those knobs, there is some sort of vent on the top of the stove. Maybe a way to vent the heat, away from the stove for summertime use? Or maybe it's to do with the warming boxes?

Talked to an auctioneer friend the other day, he said a few weeks ago that he'd sold a wood cook stove for $500. It must have been in pretty good shape.

I know of another old cook stove here in town, it's about the prettiest, most elegant stove that I know of. It's pink. I forget the brand name, but for an old stove it's pretty. I'll get us a picture of it, in a day or 2.

I'd like to have that stove!

#25254 - 09/18/17 10:34 AM Re: Wood cook stoves. [Re: redsnow]
jarentz Offline

Loc: central pa.
We had one in our hunting camp to a few years ago.
Some of the guys thought it was a waste of sleep to get up@ 4oclock
and start the cook stove.
Over the years we made hog maws and roast turkey in it.
I liked it ,put some stew on the side burner and when you came back for whatever
you had something to eat.
Ours was wood only and we could get heat for about 6 hrs once it was warm.

#25257 - 09/19/17 06:59 PM Re: Wood cook stoves. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Well, I don't like to edit my posts, but I was wrong about the color of the wood stove that I mentioned above, it's green. I forgot my camera today, but I'll get us a picture. It's in the flower shop, and it's covered up with plastic flower arrangements. The flower shop recently changed hands, I'll probably be back down there again tomorrow. Family.

I guess all wood stoves have their own little "combination", about like the tail-gate on some pickups. The old Home Comfort stove up at the King's place has a pretty good sized firebox, I'd certainly think that it would hold a fire from bedtime until about daylight.

You can lift those eyes or plates off, and drop a pretty good hunk of wood in the firebox. Close the dampers and shut off the air flow, I figure it'd hold fire a good while.

I searched the other day, I can't find a weight for the stove at the King's place. I'll guess it at 500 pounds, and it might be closer to 700#. Don't know.

Above I mentioned the accessories that they made for these old stoves, a while back a bought a cast iron pot, with that "lip" on the bottom, that would fit down inside the stove top. I never did measure it, I'd guess it was 2.5 or maybe 3 gallons? Neat looking old pot, with a bail and all.

I figure a feller could put a pound of dry beans in the thing with a ham bone, and let it simmer, and have something to eat for a few days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.