Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#25263 - 09/22/17 09:51 PM September??
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
This is the first day of fall, and our Wisconsin bow season is currently in full swing, with today's high temp reaching 95 degrees!!?? This coming weekend and the first two days of next week look to be about the same. Can you say 'cammo loin cloth'? grin

Frank. crazy

#25264 - 09/23/17 12:18 PM Re: September?? [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Don't forget the bug spray.

I've got 60* now. The early bear season starts today, in this county. Calling for it to get up near 80* today. Pretty warm to be hunting big game.

A week or so ago, I had morning temps in the 40's, 45* being the lowest so far.

Who knows what will happen this winter, but we are overdue for a long cold snowy winter.

I've heard the oldtimers make their weather prediction based on the mast/fruit crop. It's been a very good year for fruit, apples, grapes, berries. We've got acorns, hickory and walnuts everywhere. It might be a tough winter, never know.

#25265 - 09/23/17 12:19 PM Re: September?? [Re: FLSH ETR]
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
Seen on news yesterday morning the weatherman calling for a more then average amount of snow this winter. I believe he called it "La Nina"? where the waters off the coast of south america are cooler then normal and create this affect. He said from Madison Wi north colder temps and the southern states warmer but the mid west will get more snow. He said this has been the case 8 out of 10 La Nina's.

#25266 - 09/23/17 04:14 PM Re: September?? [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Here's a picture of white oak acorns along the farm lane. That's pretty much level ground, they're not all bunched up, I counted 50 inside of the yellow box, and I missed a few. I should have put something in the picture for size comparison, but you could cover that spot with a small T-shirt.

I've had several people tell me that the "Old Farmer's Almanac" is calling for a tough winter, for this area. As far as our game animals, they should go into winter in good shape. I've noticed a lot of persimmons too.

#25267 - 09/23/17 04:19 PM Re: September?? [Re: redsnow]

Looks like your magic red pen turned those acorns into stuffed olives! Hey, where's the vermouth?? grin

Frank.

#25268 - 09/23/17 04:41 PM Re: September?? [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

I'll tell you that "draw option" on this computer is handy, for counting, and pointing out stuff.

I had to search vermouth. I'd heard of it before, I don't have need for it. I don't like olives either.

Frank, what's your winter forecast? (and when are you going to check your trail cam? Darned thing has been out 2 or 3 months and you've not shared a single picture.) cool

#25270 - 09/23/17 05:39 PM Re: September?? [Re: redsnow]

Haven't investigated our winter forecast. The several sites I go to for my daily weather wind up changing the forecast daily. Usually my knees and fingers tell me what's coming. As far as my trail cams, I've been getting pics of doe and fawns, and one buck that might have a deformed antler. Most pics are night exposures so really can't see clearly. Will be going up next week for a few days and will check on the cams again. If something good shows up I'll give ya'll a look see. Gotta be back for my colonoscopy, then the next week we're gonna be making 60#s of fresh Hungarian style sausage. After that I'll try to spend more time at camp. Next week the high temps will be down into the upper 50s and low 60s, and not the upper 80s and low 90s so should be really comfortable. Nothing like a little wood smoke to get your own fire fired up inside you. grin

Frank. cool

#25271 - 09/24/17 12:09 PM Re: September?? [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Beyond 5 days I don't have much faith in the forecast prediction. If I'm not mistaken, I think the Old Farmer's Almanac makes their prediction 2 years in advance, using "sun spots." Darned if I know?, but they have a pretty good record. The old time folks had a saying or theory for everything.

Thinking about your sausage, a man offered to sell me a 450# pig a few weeks ago, for cheap! Just too hot, and I didn't have time to mess with butchering. Or the freezer space. You've seen the pictures of our acorn crop. This was years and years ago, but I knew a man that raised a few pigs, and one year that we had a good acorn crop, he just opened the gate and cut them in the wind. I remember hunting down off of the mountain, and seeing his hogs a half mile from his house.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.