Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Photo

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#25304 - 10/04/17 10:28 PM Look who came to dinner
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA

#25305 - 10/05/17 09:23 AM Re: Look who came to dinner [Re: FLSH ETR]

I think this is that 'unicorn' buck that I can't get a good picture of. And I'm wondering how I'm going to capture them bandits without finding them really wet and muddy. In the top pic, all the dark ground is really all water. Just a few hummocks here and there. At first I was thinking of DPs, but now am thinking of pail cubbies with 160s guarding them. Any help here?

Thanks, Frank.

#25319 - 10/09/17 06:08 AM Re: Look who came to dinner [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Seems like it'd be quick and easy to set 2 or 3 DP's. Maybe you can find a dry spot?

Let me ask, what are the attractions at this camera?

#25320 - 10/09/17 08:30 AM Re: Look who came to dinner [Re: redsnow]

I broadcast corn in a wide circle. Keeps the critters working for it longer. If it ever stops raining for a month it'll be much easier to traverse and would expose some dry ground for some DPs. I wear 5 buckle boots to make the journey, and I've found two 6 buckle holes on the way.(#%$&*!)

Frank.

#25321 - 10/09/17 04:39 PM Re: Look who came to dinner [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Ok, wasn't sure what you had going on. I know of several little "spring seeps" back in the mountains that look similar. Some of them are very small, just enough for a squirrel to drink from, but the game animals know where they are located.

Didn't you start a salt lick a while back? Are you getting any action there?

Show us a couple pictures of those 300# Wisconsin bucks.

#25322 - 10/09/17 06:40 PM Re: Look who came to dinner [Re: FLSH ETR]

No monster bucks on my radar. I just get all the does. I try to grow them big bucks chasing them sweeties, but my grower just ain't working. Besides, young tender venison is what I'm really after!!

Yeah, I had a salt lick on a small hummock located halfway between that tree with the small stump on it and the camera, just out of sight low. It was licked and rained out about half way gone. Then, it suddenly and completely disappeared! I searched for chunks and fragments but could find nothing. I think perhaps some critter stole it, carrying it off to parts unknown. I splashed around looking for it, finding the second 6 buckle hole.(%$&*#!) Anyway, I read a long time ago that the whitetails require the salt in spring and summer months. The DNR used to not allow salt licks during the gun season, but then realized that the deer are not really attracted to it during that time of the year. So now, if you really have to use it, it must be part of the bait allowance for that area. I don't have any intention of replacing it until next year. I'm leaving early tomorrow for camp. I'll scrutinize the trail cam pics. Perhaps I catch a glimpse of your 'buckzilla'!!

Frank.

#25323 - 10/09/17 09:17 PM Re: Look who came to dinner [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Hmmm, I'm sure the DNR knows more about salt licks than me. I've had a camera watching that one salt lick since April, 2016, and other than the days when bear, dogs and/or people have been in the area, I've got deer pictures everyday. As a rule they tinker around for a few minutes and move on. Maybe not even messing with the salt lick?

The vet told me years ago, that cows and goats needed salt, especially in the early spring. With new grass, plus raising babies. Salt is fairly cheap, I kept salt and/or "wormer" blocks for the livestock all year. I'd alternate.

I'll tell you, if I ever to start another salt lick, I'd cut off a stump and set it up high and dry. Notice the pictures of Wardney's Illegal salt lick over in the other thread. That block has been there for a while, the deer are eating the stump. I can pretty much promise you that there have been deer messing with that salt lick within the last 24 hours.

I agree, hunting over a salt lick, that would take lots of time, and be boring as heck. Just my opinion, the deer will hang around in the area.

I'll be reading up on Wisconsin hunting regulations.

#25324 - 10/09/17 10:27 PM Re: Look who came to dinner [Re: redsnow]

When you get to 'baiting and feeding deer' in the deer hunting regulations, you better take a deep breath and get comfortable, cuzz it's really crazy. If you don't wind up sitting on the floor playing with your toes and flappin' your lips, I'll see what you think when I return from camp. smile

Enjoy, Frank. cool

#25418 - 10/19/17 12:15 PM Re: Look who came to dinner [Re: FLSH ETR]

Not exactly a 'buckzilla' but at least it ain't no 'baldie'! grin

#25419 - 10/20/17 06:03 AM Re: Look who came to dinner [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

That's a good looking deer, I don't think he'll go 300#. As my buddy Moe would say: He's a shooter!

Well, I skimmed down over WI's hunting regulations. They do have some screwy laws, and a permit for about everything. And what a mess about the "shooting hours." A feller would need to carry the chart, a stopwatch, a pencil and scribble pad.

I like the looks of the woods in this picture better than your first pictures, looks like that would be some good hunting. You'll probably have snow when season comes in, that makes it even more fun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.