Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#25327 - 10/12/17 02:35 PM Road Line Questions
357cyrus Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: North Central Ohio
Im starting to get quite a bit of permission stacked up for my drive on the way to work. Do you feel its necessary to leave information about where traps are w/ someone in case something would happen to you? We had a guy get in a wreck, and spend a couple days in the hospital. It just got me to thinking about the "what ifs", and having a bunch of sets out during the winter driving conditions.

Also, do any of you scan and upload your permission slips to a folder accessible through your cellphone? That way you wouldnt have to carry them with you. I dont see why that would be an issue. I just left a message w/ the county wildlife officer to get that cleared up.

Edited by 357cyrus (10/12/17 04:03 PM)

#25328 - 10/13/17 06:25 AM Re: Road Line Questions [Re: 357cyrus]
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
Your first question almost seems odd, but I have thought about the same scenario before, too. I have never had a trapping partner, so no one knows where most of my sets are located during the season. At times, I may have 50 or more traps out and if I were to drop dead, most of those would never be found, unless they held a critter. I suppose that my feeling on this, is that a person can't worry about everything in life---or there wouldn't be any time left to enjoy life.

Your second question:----- What's a cell phone? Is that like 2 soup cans and a string, like we use?

Ron

#25329 - 10/13/17 07:30 AM Re: Road Line Questions [Re: 357cyrus]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
I keep a note book that has. sets information in it.
1)property name
2)rough map of locations
3)set type

Permission slips,license etc. are kept in the truck

I talk on a cell phone occasionally, wouldn't have the faintest idea how to do what you suggest or the desire to burn the brain cells learning, sounds like it would work just fine as long as it works

Do use a GPS out west and have used one on big water to record locations. Out west there is no cell phone reception,big water was pre-smart phone

#25330 - 10/13/17 08:25 AM Re: Road Line Questions [Re: 357cyrus]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
It's not a bad idea to mark your sets so someone else can find them. But I don't. However I've seen fellows use a GPS unit that would virtually take them, or anyone else right to the set site.

I don't know about the law in Ohio, but I know in Tennessee it is perfectly legal to keep a copy of your hunting license on your phone and present it if asked. I see no problem at all in keeping a copy of your permission slips there too. Personally, I don't carry my phone on the trapline (but the older I get the more I think about it).

#25331 - 10/13/17 03:41 PM Re: Road Line Questions [Re: 357cyrus]
357cyrus Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: North Central Ohio
The county w.o. says he doesn't see a problem w/ providing permissions like that as long as it can clearly be read. So even easier.... Just take a picture of it w/ your cell phone, if you get asked to show permission, show them the picture on your phone. I'm just using the equivalent of a filing cabinet on my phone to organize them. If you've posted pictures to this forum it's the same process.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.