Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#25339 - 10/16/17 03:44 PM Scouting
Tom Landefeld Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Kentucky
I had the kids today while mommy had to go to Lexington for a doctors appointment, a two hour one way drive. I loaded up my nine year old boy and the baby girl (20 months) in the old Toyota, grabbed a .22 and some fishing poles, the Kelty kid carrier pack and some hip boots and hit the road. Our first stop was in the little town in our county for breakfast. After filling our bellies with good food and less than spectacular coffee we headed to a small lake that I had trapped a few years ago. Scouted around for a few hours, and much to my dismay saw that the place had been pounded very hard by some "trappers" for the last couple years. The lake and surrounding marsh land is capable of maintaining several beaver and a good number of rats. However, the place had been trapped almost completely out. What a shame! We wetted out lines for a while and loaded back into the trusty Toyota. Headed to another of my favorite public beaver haunts. We fished some, but the bluegill were hard on the boys worms! So with the fishing pretty much losing its appeal, and a little girl chucking every pebble she could find into the water we put the rods back in the truck and grabbed the kiddie hauler pack. I wanted to run the creek and see what my beaver had been up to. I had trapped this place sustainably for several years, and pulled out a few years ago with the decline in the fur market and a drought. Again I was to be disappointed by my fellow "trappers" whom I had observed absolutely slamming this place for the last few years. In an area that could and had in the past harbor 12-15 beaver annually, I saw sign of maybe three....Not that I had intended trapping beaver much this year,with the exception of nuisance work. It was a fantastic day with the kids, but made me a little sad to see the lack of conservation of our resources.

Tom

#25342 - 10/17/17 08:51 AM Re: Scouting [Re: Tom Landefeld]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Hard to believe anyone would work hard on beaver with the price so low.

#25410 - 10/17/17 08:00 PM Re: Scouting [Re: Tom Landefeld]
Tom Landefeld Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Kentucky
Kind of what I was thinking. There is one thing I have learned living here though, the mentality of "If I can't have it, ain't no one else gonna get it neither" is the rule.

#25422 - 10/20/17 04:12 PM Re: Scouting [Re: Tom Landefeld]
Utk1 Online   content

Loc: S.E. Kentucky
You've probably got a bunch around there that do nothing and have all day and night to do it like I do here near Corbin. Last year was dry and there were a lot of places that always had beaver but they moved out. I find them out of sight of the roads anymore. The ones you can drive to are the first to get hit here. And I know the mentality of a lot of them, just like you said.

#25436 - 10/24/17 04:59 AM Re: Scouting [Re: Tom Landefeld]
Utk1 Online   content

Loc: S.E. Kentucky
I always look for cat toilets in the spring for the following year. If you turkey hunt check out any bare spots or flat rocks along old roadways. They're depositing more I believe during breeding season in March and you will know the general area they travel.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.