Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Fur Handling Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#11564 - 03/10/06 04:03 PM Re: Beaver/Coon Skinning and Fleshing?
Art Stone Offline

Loc: dawson springs, ky
I like the idea of clean skinning beaver, the fleshing board gives me the most problem with ruining a good fur. I like it so much that I,ve been practicing on possum, and I believe that yesterday I came up with the Art Stone method of clean skinning grinners. The world will beat a path to my door. Now mind you my my method takes a while but when I was done I had a possum pelt that would probably go for 75 cents, maybe even a dollar. (At auction)Anyway its good practice on a chicken eatin possum.

#11565 - 03/10/06 04:47 PM Re: Beaver/Coon Skinning and Fleshing?
Seldom Offline

Loc: Midland, MI
That might be a good idea bobkat for helping hold the pelt edge when relieving the fat membrane after the opening cut. I guess I’ve been a little too preoccupied learning because I use those pliers (purchased from Hal) you’re talking about on everything else I skin. wink When I skin rats and after the cuts are done I make the 1st pull at the rat’s tail cut with the pliers. I also use them on the initial pulls on fox, coyote, mink, & coon legs. wink

I had the carpel tunnel surgery on that left wrist 2 years ago and was fine until I smashed the wrist last year while driving a rerod stake in frozen ground and had a serious ricochet! When you get my age and injure bones, arthritis takes up housekeeping quick. frown

I’m staving off carpel surgery to my right wrist now by wearing a brace. Welder’s knees and wrists, if you abuse them during your career, you’ll pay for it after you retire! I should have listened to the old boys a little more. :rolleyes:

#25392 - 10/17/17 05:31 PM Re: Beaver/Coon Skinning and Fleshing? [Re: Trapping Fool]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.