Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#2503 - 10/05/06 09:13 AM Dog proof traps
NEbowhunter Offline

Loc: Holdrege, Nebraska
What does everyone think of the dog proof coon traps. i.e. egg trap, duffers, coon cuffs..etc.
any preferences? why?

#2504 - 10/05/06 01:36 PM Re: Dog proof traps
Thumb Catcher Offline

Loc: N. Kentucky
NeBowhunter: I will give you my 2 cents. I own some duffers, and a few coon cuffs. There o.k. they have there place. They work, they all catch coon, but my opionion after buying some and trying them , they have no comparrison to using the No # 11 or 1 1/2 of your choice.
The Dog Proof traps are expensive and they catch only one thing, coons. I'm not writting them off as not useful I just don't see owning a huge amount of them. I use mine around houses, barns, places you just don't want to catch anything else. I wouldn't put out a whole line of duffers or egg traps, there just not practical, in comparrison, the No # 11 Double jaw or 1 1/2, there versatile, and a much better buy.

#2505 - 10/05/06 03:01 PM Re: Dog proof traps
NEbowhunter Offline

thats about my thoughts too. however, silage piles and corn piles on farms are big number coon spots and if you can show the farmer his dogs and cats are safe, then he's more than willing to elimiate a few coons from scractching the seal off his silage pile. laugh I was just wondering if anyone had a preference in the dog proof traps.

#2506 - 10/05/06 03:59 PM Re: Dog proof traps
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Some of the newer models, or "second generation" dog-proof traps have a piece of rubber inside, and stronger springs, I think that's the way to go. Honestly, I've never used them, but have friends that are experimenting. I know exactly what you mean about passing-up good locations because of the "barn" animals. Every company that makes the things, say their model is the best. Figuried I'd wait and see. smile

#2507 - 10/07/06 03:09 PM Re: Dog proof traps
MEtrapper Offline

Loc: Maine
I own a few egg traps that I bought cheap over the summer. I use cages around homes and 1.5 in the woods, but where I mostly trap coons and skunks I thought they might be a good buy. I'll wait and see how the perform this season.

The egg trap website shows photos (and something in the research section too) of thier traps catching not only coons, but also possums and skunks.

#2508 - 10/10/06 09:31 AM Re: Dog proof traps
OKTrap Offline

Loc: Tulsa, OK
I have several dozen Lil Griz Get'rz and I love them. Especially in wildlife control work. When I want to target just coon and skunk, I am assured noting else will get into them ... especially some of these $4000 FeFee's around here.

#2509 - 10/10/06 09:47 AM Re: Dog proof traps
NEbowhunter Offline

Those fefee's were kind of my concern too. i didn't go with the lil griz, but i went with a few coon cuff's. hoping they will not catch cats. from the make of them, seems like a curious cat could maybe poke his paw in there far enough to get it. i guess the guy said no way.

#2510 - 10/10/06 11:53 PM Re: Dog proof traps
BillWI Offline

Loc: Bonduel,WI,US
A grizz getter will catch a cat. Had the misfortune of catching one a few years ago. I use mostly marshmallows and sweet type lures. A half a marshmallow on the top makes a great visual attractor.
Bill

#2511 - 10/11/06 12:47 PM Re: Dog proof traps
cohunt Offline

Loc: south dakota USA
I have used griz getters for several years. They are quite selective but I do catch some skunk, possums, and cats. I have had two coons escape after some fight but that is much less than I would have had with footholds. I did not like coon cuffs. For me they were difficult to stabilize and a bit clumsy. I did catch some coons before I sold them. I have a friend who has used egg traps and caught coon but saws that the traps get chewed pretty badly. Overall, i think that in my experience, large live traps(15X15X36) are the most useful dog proof trap(I have 80 live traps).

#25439 - 10/25/17 01:27 PM Re: Dog proof traps [Re: NEbowhunter]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.