Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#6882 - 12/22/06 10:44 AM Re: More muskrat sets???
ADKMtnTrapper Offline

Loc: South Carolina
i also have another question i hear everyone talkin about rat toilets ive done alot traviling in rat swamps and ive never noticed anything that made me think that it was a rat toilet so what is a rat toilet and how do you trap them?? Thanks Again! ! !

#6883 - 12/22/06 01:55 PM Re: More muskrat sets???
the Black Spot Offline

Loc: misplaced Texan in arkansas
don't forget to toss in a few bottom edge sets, i catch a few everyear this setting wingwalls at bridges. my 2 cents

#6884 - 12/22/06 11:45 PM Re: More muskrat sets???
BillWI Offline

Loc: Bonduel,WI,US
I look for sign like runs going up the bank. Most of the sign though is a spot on the shore where the grass is chewed off or a mat of grass with chewed off grass or cattails. Like others have posted sign can be deceiving. I'll usually overkill an area and set on as much sign as I can. 4-5 days pull and move on. Thirty or more traps across 40 acres of creek is not uncommon, and that might yield only ten rats. More traps and less time. Ten sets might get the same amount of rats as thirty traps but will probably take twice as long. With only a few weeks before freeze-up don't have time to spend on one area.
Shame about den holes a 110 on a den will greatly increase your catch.
Bill

#6885 - 12/23/06 06:11 AM Re: More muskrat sets???
Matt W Offline

Loc: Elderton, PA
I have seen rat toilets on rocks and logs that stick out of the water. I found one the other day on an old telephone pole that was put in the creek by the local sportsman club to create a deep hole for trout. I just set a foothold where the rats had the thing scratched from trying to climb out of the water. I caught one rat there 2 days later.

#6886 - 12/23/06 09:30 AM Re: More muskrat sets???
skipper Offline

Loc: .Manheim Pennslvania
Instead of spending hours (of scouting time in stead of setting time) I would if possiable dig imatation rat dens in the bank, and let there terratorial instincts kick in but slick up the sides and make them look used this will take a lot of rats.

#25448 - 10/25/17 01:29 PM Re: More muskrat sets??? [Re: ADKMtnTrapper]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.