Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Traps and Equipment Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#9275 - 10/26/06 12:57 PM Do you need trap Modifications?
downeaster Offline

Loc: Blue Hill ,Maine
I am going to be getting some #2 Bridgers for coyote, bobcat, and the occasional fox. My question is should I baseplate, 4 coil, or use offset jaws or laminate? I will be trapping in Maine where we do get some big yotes. What do you yote trappers think. I usually don't trap in heavy snows but do have to deal with freezing and thawing conditions.

Thanks

#9276 - 10/26/06 01:19 PM Re: Do you need trap Modifications?
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I would venture to guess that the vast majority of trappers never modify their traps at all. Frankly, if traps didn't work "out of the box" the manufacturers would hardly be able to sell them. I might also note that a number of the "modifications" trappers used to do, have become standard issue on traps over the past 30 years.

That said, some modifications can improve the efficiency of some traps. I don't really consider tuning up the dog and notch to be a modification per se, but I do that to every trap. Also it is not uncommon to add a different end fastening device to better suit your fastening system. A very common modification includes adding an extra swivel at the mid point of the chain, and the more swivels a trap has, the better.

Laminating, base plating, four coiling, et cetera may come later as you gain more experience and possibly recognize the need for it.

smile -- Hal

#9277 - 10/26/06 02:41 PM Re: Do you need trap Modifications?
mominker Offline

Loc: Missouri
I believe if you're looking at the manufacturer's listing for the trap and you're using the trap to catch one of the animals they list the trap is for, then it should be fine. Beyond that, it is just personal preference as to how long the chain is, how the fastener is set up, laminated jaw, etc.

#9278 - 10/26/06 04:19 PM Re: Do you need trap Modifications?
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
My short answer for you question is no.

If you consider extra swivels a modification change that to yes.

Properly tuned out of the box traps will work just fine.The one true short comming of most mass produced traps in my opinion is poor swiveling

#9279 - 10/26/06 04:52 PM Re: Do you need trap Modifications?
WayneAmerica Offline

Loc: Nebraska
So I understand fully, do you mean just a swivel, or swivels, on the end of the chain already attached? And, how many "extra swivels" do you attach?

Thanks.

#9280 - 10/26/06 05:20 PM Re: Do you need trap Modifications?
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
In most applications, you just cut the chain in two somewhere near the middle and reconnect it with a box swivel.

smile -- Hal

#9281 - 10/27/06 04:10 AM Re: Do you need trap Modifications?
smitty Offline

Loc: Central Indiana
Do you "need" them? I'd say yes......can you still plenty of catch fur without them, yes again.

There had been alot of years pass where tons of fur was taken before trap modifications were heard of. Today, alot of trapping suppliers are offering modified traps (baseplated, laminated, 4-coiled).

My reasonng for saying "yes" to your question is simply that I want any & every advantage I can get. Modifying a trap makes it a better piece of equipment, as well a more comfortable for the animal wearing it. I can release uninjured non-targets/domestics because of a wider jawsurface and the fact that the foot was securely held, not allowing it to "saw" in the trap. At the same time, they will securely hold the catch you are targeting.

Yesterday I had 4 sets a farmer "plowed under", all were modified Bridgers. One of them took a hard hit and bent one of the levers and the short-end of the crossframe. Without a doubt, there'd have been alot more damage to the trap had it not been baseplated & laminated.

If you like the Bridgers (and I do), I'd baseplate them because I don't like the stock chain attachment. I also laminate mine, as well as replace the Bridger swivels with Crunch-Proofs, and as mentioned, add atleast 1 more swivel, many also have JC Conner shock springs. You also can buy them 4-coiled cheaper than you can do them yourself.

Keep in mind also that you can add all the "bells & whistles" to a trap, but if it isn't properly tuned/adjusted, it'll do you little good.

Just my opinion...........

Smitty

#9282 - 10/27/06 07:16 AM Re: Do you need trap Modifications?
Otterwater0566 Offline

Loc: Austin, AR
I ordered most of my bridgers fully modifies and offset for less than I can do it in my shop and they are excellent equipment. I also ordered a stock 2 os (no mod's) for comparison. The modified traps shined in water and slick mud sets, a.k.a. (winter K-9 sets) and freeze downs. The plain 2 os Bridger and my stock Northwoods caught and held well in "dry-not in mud)" sets with less foot damage. I had center swiveled my NW's-(base, mid-chain, terminal), but not my factory bridger and did have a couple twist ups with the factory hook up on the Bridger and had to base plate it.

#9283 - 10/27/06 08:56 AM Re: Do you need trap Modifications?
downeaster Offline

Loc: Blue Hill ,Maine
Thanks for the input. I night latch and adjust pan tension to about 3lbs on all my canone traps.I also add extra swivels to existing chains. This I consider the minimumn for my purposes.

#25463 - 10/25/17 01:34 PM Re: Do you need trap Modifications? [Re: downeaster]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.